Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,850,147 times

Advertisements

I got my car registered here, and I paid the $250-some dollars including the highway use taxes, but is there a separate property tax? I never got a bill for any and it was never checked that I had paid property tax, but this says there is one:
Quote:
Three months after the motor vehicle’s registration renewal date, the vehicle owner will receive a tax bill
Do people get their first year here free?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 08:32 AM

9 posts, read 28,026 times
You will receive a bill from the county about 3 months after you registered the car.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...c-car-tax.html

Old 01-05-2011, 04:54 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,051,596 times
yeah, no freebies here!

They might be a little behind in sending out the bill, but, trust me, you'll get one!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,220,638 times
It stinks because there is a calculation on the value of the car and a $30.00 per vehicle flat charge.... so on an old piece of junk you would still pay around $100.00

For newer cars expect $300.00ish

Old 01-06-2011, 07:23 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,027,324 times
Well, I have to wonder if someone from CT didn't influence that crazy law. We have had vehicle property taxes forever, and what started as something small has turned into something out of control.

For instance, my work truck - an 08 Diesel Ford (Mid level) is about $650 in some towns and $1000 in others per year. (They tax by town not county here.) That's on top of rediculous gas taxes, income taxes, home property taxes etc and they tax ever single item I own in my business down to a $50 tool at the same rate.

What was once a "yea that sucks" $200 bill has turned into a real burden. Having to budget an extra $50-75 a month just to pay tax on a vehicle is wrong.

I hope you folks understand what has happened in states like CT/NY/NJ and vote accordingly. New tax sources rarely disappear. Keep your government under control or it will end up controlling you.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:00 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,981,495 times
And to make matters worse if you have an antique or a collector's car & they value it at $4500 & you put a higher value on your insurance, they'll charge you the higher value for taxes. Unfortunately I know this first hand.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:23 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,027,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
And to make matters worse if you have an antique or a collector's car & they value it at $4500 & you put a higher value on your insurance, they'll charge you the higher value for taxes. Unfortunately I know this first hand.
Oh the goverment doesn't miss a trick. If something is a higher value and their taxes are based on value, the WILL get their money.

I wish more people would start to realize just how much of a task master the government is. They don't care about you, what you can pay, or if your family can't eat. They WILL get their taxes via tax warrants, paycheck deduction, property liens etc. Ask me how I know. They don't care, they go first you go last. There are many seniors being forclosed on by the towns because they can't afford the out of sight property taxes.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 AM

468 posts, read 827,823 times
It must vary quite a bit per county.

I am in in Union, I pay 20.41 for a 1994 Honda in excellent condition.

No where near the 100.00 minimum as was quoted.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:24 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,051,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
It must vary quite a bit per county.

I am in in Union, I pay 20.41 for a 1994 Honda in excellent condition.

No where near the 100.00 minimum as was quoted.
it does. That is why people choose to live in other counties.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,943,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Oh the goverment doesn't miss a trick. If something is a higher value and their taxes are based on value, the WILL get their money.

I wish more people would start to realize just how much of a task master the government is. They don't care about you, what you can pay, or if your family can't eat. They WILL get their taxes via tax warrants, paycheck deduction, property liens etc. Ask me how I know. They don't care, they go first you go last. There are many seniors being forclosed on by the towns because they can't afford the out of sight property taxes.
You have heard me complain many times about excessive taxes.We have given up on any hope of living in CT.We did spend time Sept thru Dec at our home and now see the light,to expensive for us.
We will stay in FL with a low cost of living,why hand out money needlessly.
Vernon demonstrated to me how much they care about excessive taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte