Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
No he doesn't. Plus, most people who don't live here don't give a rat's patoot. If they do, generally, they need to get a life.

Example: Years ago, 2 city councilmen in Philly used to get in fist-fights in the city council meetings. Video of the brawls got out nation-wide. At one point when I was working in Owings Mills MD I saw footage of yet another fist fight in Philadelphia City Council on first a Baltimore station, then a DC station. People laughed about it & promptly forgot about it.

Example: McHenry was shooting his mouth off a couple of years ago. He made such an impression on people that during the 2008 elections Saturday Night Live worked him into some skits, with one of the actors playing someone who was obviously supposed to be him. When Saturday Night Live works Bill James into skits worry about image. Until then, find someone who is fiscally conservative without the penchant for idiotic pronouncements to run against him.
I definitely understand your point. People may not remember Bill James, specifically, but they will remember that the city of Charlotte is bigoted and homophobic. Same thing about the videos of Philly - want to know my opinion of that city? I've never been there, but from what I've read and seen on tv it's not a nice place.

I've had friends in Ohio contact me about Bill James. They read about him in the news and frankly already had the opinion that the South was backward, racist, and slow. The latest didn't help. They didn't use his name, but they remembered the story about the local politician who hates gays, women and blacks.

I don't know how many more times I can say that I'd love for someone to find a suitable candidate to run against him. I nominate LovesMountains.

On that note, let's stop beating this dead horse. Sunny, please close this down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 10:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Only one James defender was willing to respond to this, and that person avoided the question. The question is, if someone else came along who shared your views on money/tax as well as James does, would you support that candidate or continue to support James?
Sorry Dave, your post got lost in the shuffle

It really goes without saying though...if someone else came along who was willing to be as much of a bear on the issue of protecting taxes from waste and entitlement programs, and really had the balls and experience to back up his rhetoric, I'd happily vote for that candidate.

I thought it was pretty clear that every single person on this thread is in agreement that James' views on social issues are not our own.

Some of us are just more willing to separate the job the man manages to accomplish from his personal opinions, others sadly cannot.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 12-30-2010 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: spelling!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:35 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
everyone understands exactly what you are saying. This is part of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
OMG I really don't know how else to explain it. I can't believe you guys don't understand what I'm saying. Jesus. I do know how the freaking local government works. I do know that he is not on the city council. I know he's on the county commission and the county and city are different.

BUT - when he goes on national television, and gets national press he is a representative for the CITY OF CHARLOTTE. Do you all get it now? Good flippin' lord!

Oh, and I would run, but I live in district 2. Helpful advice, though. I'd like to see the people who supposedly oppose his views in his own constituency to field a candidate.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:39 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
everyone understands exactly what you are saying. This is part of the game.
Are you suggesting some sort of conspiracy or something? Otherwise, what "game" do you mean?

Old 12-31-2010, 02:04 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It is sad to me, and actually points out your own prejudice, that you just can't accept that those of us who have voted for Bill James do so for valid reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with his stance on social issues.

The reality is, the majority of people who vote for him are able to look past his ignorance on social issues to get someone in office who does his job when it comes to tax dollars.

Believe what you want, but that doesn't make it the truth.
I would buy that if it was just about disagreeing with certain views that he had and supporting his other views. However, when it gets to the utter extreme level of vile and bigotry that James spouts off there just isn't an excuse to vote for someone like that. Even if you agree with him on fiscal issues, the man is so incredibly vile and disgusting that there simply is no excuse for voting for that level of hate, bigotry racism and homophobia, none.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:46 AM

89 posts, read 142,885 times
Quote:
I definitely understand your point. People may not remember Bill James, specifically, but they will remember that the city of Charlotte is bigoted and homophobic.......
On that note, let's stop beating this dead horse. Sunny, please close this down!
This is your opinion, it's not fact. Charlotte does not have a reputation for being bigoted and homophobic. If it does then prove it. This despite the fact that James has held that seat for more than a decade. The only thing you CAN say is the residents of that district elected such a person, and for them it doesn't matter because in the role of county council government its not important to them. James is not part of the Charlotte city government no matter how much you believe it to be so.

There is a certain irony on how quick that people, who claim they want a progressive city, will move to cut off discussion (by asking to close a topic as an example) when said discussion doesn't go their way. A real progressive would never do that. I see no reason to close this topic.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:40 AM

576 posts, read 586,004 times
Quote:
I definitely understand your point. People may not remember Bill James, specifically, but they will remember that the city of Charlotte is bigoted and homophobic. Same thing about the videos of Philly - want to know my opinion of that city? I've never been there, but from what I've read and seen on tv it's not a nice place.

I've had friends in Ohio contact me about Bill James. They read about him in the news and frankly already had the opinion that the South was backward, racist, and slow. The latest didn't help. They didn't use his name, but they remembered the story about the local politician who hates gays, women and blacks.

I don't know how many more times I can say that I'd love for someone to find a suitable candidate to run against him. I nominate LovesMountains.

People like your friends that generalize a whole city because of a few people arent very smart. Its as simple as that.

You did the same thing to Philly.

If someone were to read this thread and all of your whiny posts should they be able to assume the whole city of Charlotte is full of whiny people?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:15 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:

I sincerely doubt that you saw & remember the video from Philly that I referred to. That was going on in the late 70s & into the 80s. People who I worked with in Maryland didn't remember it a week later.

Local politicians may say or do something embarassing, but the vast majority of the American public has bigger fish to fry. Many are too busy being embarassed by their own local politicians. If Bill James feeds the already existing prejudice of people elsewhere about this area, that says as much about those people as it says about him.

The crux of the matter is that the man runs unopposed. It's really hard to get rid of a politican who runs unopposed, unless he drops dead.

Last edited by southbound_295; 12-31-2010 at 07:23 AM..

Old 12-31-2010, 07:40 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If Bill James feeds the already existing prejudice of people elsewhere about this area, that says as much about those people as it says about him.
Here, unfortunately, is the crux of the matter. The man appeals to his constituents. Which is *precisely* why I say his comments make them look bad... whether they know it or acknowledge it is wholly irrelevant.

and on a related note, I can't believe that some of the people who argued about "ethical" violations by elected officials on the ABC board have gone on to defend James in this thread... that's a real head scratcher. Since when is money more important than humanity?

Old 12-31-2010, 08:01 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Here, unfortunately, is the crux of the matter. The man appeals to his constituents. Which is *precisely* why I say his comments make them look bad... whether they know it or acknowledge it is wholly irrelevant.

and on a related note, I can't believe that some of the people who argued about "ethical" violations by elected officials on the ABC board have gone on to defend James in this thread... that's a real head scratcher. Since when is money more important than humanity?

ditto and mega dittos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte