Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:05 PM

15 posts, read 38,233 times

Advertisements

...why did you move here anyways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 09:51 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
CHAT THREAD REVIVAL!!!!

Where the heck is FELT???? lol Just wondering. Coffee wasn't right without him this morning!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 09:55 AM

And if you all really do want to talk about why you moved here, why not?

I moved here cause this is home and hubby got a job offer so we moved back to NC.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:06 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,980,371 times
We moved because Hubby was offered a job here. The timing for moving our kids was perfect. It was a' now or never' kind of thing and we took a chance. My family loves it and are very happy. That makes me happy, but I am quite home sick :-(
We came from Maryland. My family lives in Jersey. I could get to them in 3 1/2 hours and did so quite often. I'm 11 hours away now and that's just too far. Some days my heart just aches for my brother and my friends, but on the rest of the days I am very happy to be here. I love this state!! I really do.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
We moved because Hubby was offered a job here. The timing for moving our kids was perfect. It was a' now or never' kind of thing and we took a chance. My family loves it and are very happy. That makes me happy, but I am quite home sick :-(
We came from Maryland. My family lives in Jersey. I could get to them in 3 1/2 hours and did so quite often. I'm 11 hours away now and that's just too far. Some days my heart just aches for my brother and my friends, but on the rest of the days I am very happy to be here. I love this state!! I really do.
Sending big hugs, Doorway!

I know you love this state. I do, too. But I also get homesick for Kansas and my friends and the special places we used to go. I do know how you feel. If I drive straight through, I could make it back to my friends in about 14 hours, depending on traffic and stops. Could end up being 16 hours. Have made it in less than 13 (but man, that was hard driving -exceeding the speed limit!!!! - plus I happened to hit it right through Knoxville, Nashville and St. Louis).

I sometimes wake up and think - ok - if I got in the car right now . . . I could be in Kansas by . . .

That is a hard drive, 11 hours.

I thought my heart would break at 7 when I had leave Liberty and move to Conover, lol. It didn't matter that it was only a few hours away. I knew I would never see my friends again, and basically, I didn't see them except a few times at weddings along the way. But when you are that age, everyone changes so much over the years through high school . . . we didn't know each other any longer after only a few years.

When my Brownie Troop found I was moving (oh, I did love that little troop of girls!) . . . the troop leader taught them a little song to sing. They had a surprise going away party for me and they sang (in a round):

Make new friends, but keep the old
One is silver and the other gold.

I will never forget that. But even as they were singing it, I knew that my golden friendships (and golden days together!) would not even be valued as silver or copper - in no time. Not that I wouldn't stop cherishing my friends! But they would move on without me and I would soon become a very distant memory.

At least today, we have the internet and ways to share that I would have dearly treasured at 7.

I am sorry you are homesick.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:14 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,360,441 times
I was ready to leave rural Va but could not get a job back in Va Beach. Visited here for a wedding and fell in love. Could not get a job the first year of trying, got one the second and moved. Love it still.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
I was ready to leave rural Va but could not get a job back in Va Beach. Visited here for a wedding and fell in love. Could not get a job the first year of trying, got one the second and moved. Love it still.
So glad you decided to come here, Banjanqueen! And it worked out so well that you did get a job b/f too long! Plus you finished up that Ph.D.!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Yea...chat thread opened!

why did I move here? Because my then-husband & I were very underemployed in Beaufort, SC. We came up here to cash in on the job market (it was December of 1988). We both had jobs within a week.

Home for me is Chicago. Haven't lived there in many years. But, I still get homesick, especially in the summer.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Yea...chat thread opened!

why did I move here? Because my then-husband & I were very underemployed in Beaufort, SC. We came up here to cash in on the job market (it was December of 1988). We both had jobs within a week.

Home for me is Chicago. Haven't lived there in many years. But, I still get homesick, especially in the summer.
CHI - I know what you mean!

Wish we could hop a cheap flight . . . here is what is happening in Chicago this weekend!

Navy Pier:
Home | Exposition Chicago

Lincoln Park:
Form in Flora III at Lincoln Park Conservatory | CPD

last weekend for the tropical flower show!
Tropical Flower Show at Lincoln Park Conservatory | CPD

Wrigley:
We missed the Cubs - Cardinals game!

Art Institute:
Concert: Avalon String Quartet

Now, why didn't we just fly up for a fun weekend?????

Old 09-21-2012, 09:04 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
CHI - I know what you mean!

Wish we could hop a cheap flight . . . here is what is happening in Chicago this weekend!

Navy Pier:
Home | Exposition Chicago

Lincoln Park:
Form in Flora III at Lincoln Park Conservatory | CPD

last weekend for the tropical flower show!
Tropical Flower Show at Lincoln Park Conservatory | CPD

Wrigley:
We missed the Cubs - Cardinals game!

Art Institute:
Concert: Avalon String Quartet

Now, why didn't we just fly up for a fun weekend?????
Sounds like loads of fun!! I know that the jazz festival is coming up in October (I think) and there are TONS of festivals & stuff going on this before it goes cold by the beginning of Nov....Lets go!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte