Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 07:53 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

It's what everyone else said, lack of frequency of snow.

I've said it before & I'll say it again. South Jersey, because of a fluke of geography, gets very little snow. 99% of the time the snow is from a nor'easter. The blasts of snow that they got last year were nor'easters that went up from us. Twice I got some snow, the other 2 times I only had rain. My sister was horrified. She had not seen that much snow on the ground since we left Michigan in 1964. Her husband & kids had never seen that much snow on the ground at once. The schools had a lot of snow days to make up, because, guess what? I do not know of a single solitary town in South Jersey that owns a plow. They do have blades to toss on township/city/town/borough pickup trucks. Those don't do the greatest job, but it's good enough, unless they get an ice storm. Then you keep your butt in the house & off the roads. Sound familiar?

The last bad ice storm there was in the mid 90s, but I remember one in the mid 70s that shut down Philly & South Jersey for 4 or 5 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Actually, guys, they have the equipment. Last I heard, it was 90 plows. 90 Plus, I know that after the last big storm (~2007), they bought blades to put on the garbage trucks. The problem is not the equipment (or lack thereof). It is the lack of management .

Not to mention, the overall acceptance of status quo. It does not matter where you are from, policies and procedures have to progress with the population. What worked yesterday may not work today.

There appears to be a lack of over all public opinion requiring things to change. As long as that is present, the powers-that-be won't improve or correct the issue. It's that simple.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
^^^
Quote:
Not to mention, the overall acceptance of status quo

That bolonie Im sorry That would mean every city in the state has a buddy system on not removing snow. oh puhleeze
your out in left field with that one Im afraid.

The NCDOT worked in 12 hour shifts did an awesome job with both storms develop some Carolina patience life does not have to be in a such of rush everyday.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
You can have all the plows you want but it takes much more than that. The biggest expense would be man power and the city just simply can't afford the OT that it would take. And no citizen is going to agree to the tax increase that would be needed to fund something that is a rare occasion anyway.

People need to get over it and accept that this is the way it is done here.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,988,877 times
If we only get an occasional snow/ice storm, the extra OT shouldnt hurt that bad, if they might do it once or twice tops in an entire winter.

The DOT crews did a great job on the highways, I must say that. I did hear a lot about how any road not near the interstate was messy and bad. Only if we could get those roads done as good as the highways.

Would this be the same reason Lowe's and Home Depot dont stock much ice melt, shoves etc...? Im sure the ones that did made out like bandits

Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
If we only get an occasional snow/ice storm, the extra OT shouldnt hurt that bad, if they might do it once or twice tops in an entire winter.

The DOT crews did a great job on the highways, I must say that. I did hear a lot about how any road not near the interstate was messy and bad. Only if we could get those roads done as good as the highways.

Would this be the same reason Lowe's and Home Depot dont stock much ice melt, shoves etc...? Im sure the ones that did made out like bandits

Why wouldn't the OT hurt that bad? It simply isn't in the budget. If the funds aren't there, they simply are not there. All this boils down to, is the "we want it now mentality". Tough, if you stay here, this is the way it is handled here. Afterall, one of the reasons all the yankees came down here was the lower COL. I can see it now, a tax increase across the board for something like this, then the yanks would laugh, make fun of or be down right ticked that they were having to fund something such as this, I mean afterall it is so rare.

Lowes and HD don't stock shovels or icemelt? Of course they do....even some of the grocery stores had those things.

Things aren't going to change and people do not want to pay more money so therefore there are one of two choices....A. live with it B. move back to where ever it is that did it differently.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:25 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
What is it with the constant Yankee comments on these forums in the southeast. It isn't just the Charlotte one its all of them. Is it playful joking around or is it regional sarcasm and dislike for people that moved there? It would seem their moving there helps pump money into the local economy dispite the down times.

I can understand the area not having tons of snow removal equipment as say Boston does. I would think and don't know what Charlotte has, but having sufficient deicing equipment for the roads would be common sense. Since the area seems more prone to ice than snow storms.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
What is it with the constant Yankee comments on these forums in the southeast. It isn't just the Charlotte one its all of them. Is it playful joking around or is it regional sarcasm and dislike for people that moved there? It would seem their moving there helps pump money into the local economy dispite the down times.

I can understand the area not having tons of snow removal equipment as say Boston does. I would think and don't know what Charlotte has, but having sufficient deicing equipment for the roads would be common sense. Since the area seems more prone to ice than snow storms.

For me personally, I get sick of hearing it. I, and most people who are native don't care how it was done back north. With that said, my best half is a dayum yankee. LOL!!

We do have sufficient equipment here, for our area and our weather, it does the job nicely. That problem is that it isn't done for fast enough or to some peoples expectations. And again to that, I say get over it....

Old 01-17-2011, 09:45 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
For me personally, I get sick of hearing it. I, and most people who are native don't care how it was done back north. With that said, my best half is a dayum yankee. LOL!!

We do have sufficient equipment here, for our area and our weather, it does the job nicely. That problem is that it isn't done for fast enough or to some peoples expectations. And again to that, I say get over it....
I agree 100%.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:03 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Is it playful joking around or is it regional sarcasm and dislike for people that moved there?
Joking, of course, with a bit of exasperation that immigrants to NC, regardless of their roots, want NC to be all the good things about "home" and none of the bad. It just gets old.

But speaking for myself, it is 100% joking...I did capitalize Yankee, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte