Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 06:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times

Advertisements

This week the funeral for a noted police officer was held here in charlotte. I live near by the graveyard located on Monroe road. For SEVERAL hours I saw the police helicopter flying around and around and around over the grave yard. I also learned that there were so many cars (mainly police)that the procession was like 5 miles long. With no disrespect to giving honor to a fallen policeman my question is JUST WHO PAID FOR ALL OF THE FUEL used in the massive funeral? The helicopter alone had to have used hundreds of dollars in fuel and for what reason would they fly around making circles for HOURS? Could they have not just loaded all of the cops into several buses at the church and took them to the graveyard ? With gasoline at an all time high it makes no logic to waste this much fuel needlessly.....Also many of the police cars were from other counties and I wonder WHO paid for all of the fuel they used to come to Charlotte. They could have had a respectful funeral without all of this wasted fuel could they have not?
?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:11 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
First and foremost law enforcement is a band of brothers and sisters. There is no divide in city, county or state lines. When one goes down, others come to their side.

There is money in the budget for things such as this. The helicopter flew for hours out of necessity. When there that many city leaders past and present and other dignitary, the bird is always used because they are the eyes in the sky.

While a police officers funeral has many in attendance for obvious reasons, this particular officers casket was carried by horse and carriage and if I understood correctly some of the family walked behind it from the church to the cemetary. That would make the precession seem so long, however I am sure that it was.

God bless this officer and his family! A little bit of fuel is the least of the worries for a man that put the uniform on each day, to never know if he was going home or not!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:15 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
I agree Nativechief. I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes but this is just one of hundreds of instances of not spending wisely. I certainly mean no disrespect for the fallen officer but tough times call for restraint.

Will the last overtaxed taxpayer turn out the light on their way out .....

Old 03-04-2011, 07:34 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I agree Nativechief. I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes but this is just one of hundreds of instances of not spending wisely. I certainly mean no disrespect for the fallen officer but tough times call for restraint.

Will the last overtaxed taxpayer turn out the light on their way out .....
I'm not sure how I feel about the gas dollars versus the show of solidarity behind the fallen officer, especially in the case of an off-duty accident versus losing his life "on the job". (I also offer my condolences to his family and friends.)

But I wanted to mention that there was a funeral a couple of months ago in another city for two fallen officers and they used charter busses to transport many of the grieving officers at the ceremony. That may be an alternative.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:36 PM

595 posts, read 1,623,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Also many of the police cars were from other counties and I wonder WHO paid for all of the fuel they used to come to Charlotte. They could have had a respectful funeral without all of this wasted fuel could they have not??
Honestly, I am not too worried about the government spending money on a funeral. It is the MILLIONS & BILLIONS that they waste that we never hear of that burns me up.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:54 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
This week the funeral for a noted police officer was held here in charlotte. I live near by the graveyard located on Monroe road. For SEVERAL hours I saw the police helicopter flying around and around and around over the grave yard. I also learned that there were so many cars (mainly police)that the procession was like 5 miles long. With no disrespect to giving honor to a fallen policeman my question is JUST WHO PAID FOR ALL OF THE FUEL used in the massive funeral? The helicopter alone had to have used hundreds of dollars in fuel and for what reason would they fly around making circles for HOURS? Could they have not just loaded all of the cops into several buses at the church and took them to the graveyard ? With gasoline at an all time high it makes no logic to waste this much fuel needlessly.....Also many of the police cars were from other counties and I wonder WHO paid for all of the fuel they used to come to Charlotte. They could have had a respectful funeral without all of this wasted fuel could they have not?
?
I think that that's a reasonable question. Police & fireman funerals are usually attended by others from other jurisdiction. I just assumed that the Fraternal Order of Police had a fund for such events, for the officers, but never put much thought into it. I think that the copters are pretty standard for security at these events. There's a lot of nutcases out there.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:13 PM

870 posts, read 3,529,118 times
Why is this even an issue?

Old 03-04-2011, 09:26 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
Honestly, I am not too worried about the government spending money on a funeral. It is the MILLIONS & BILLIONS that they waste that we never hear of that burns me up.
Add up these small questionable expenditures, and you end up with millions and billions. That's one problem with government spending-unless it's in the billions no one pays any attention to it. Chunks of money are tossed around like they're lunch money, but that could pay a year's salary for someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Why is this even an issue?
I think the OP was very clear on why this is an issue.

I see both sides of this, and I'm not sure how I feel about the expense. I understand why funerals like this are important, but I think about what that money (at least some of it) could have been better spent on. As for the chopper, I was told by an exec at WSOC that it costs $1500 per air hour to operate their chopper, once all expenses are factored in.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:58 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
The OPs question seems to be completely insensitive to me. If you really wanted to save gasoline wouldn't it be better to call home the troops from Iraq & Afganistan?

Old 03-05-2011, 05:34 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about the gas dollars versus the show of solidarity behind the fallen officer, especially in the case of an off-duty accident versus losing his life "on the job". (I also offer my condolences to his family and friends.)

But I wanted to mention that there was a funeral a couple of months ago in another city for two fallen officers and they used charter busses to transport many of the grieving officers at the ceremony. That may be an alternative.
A swat officer as well as those on street units are NEVER "off-duty", their go bag is always sitting by the door waiting for that call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte