Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:25 AM

265 posts, read 330,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Your right, it is 15% commuting. However, I don't know if that is 15% commuting for work or other ammenities.
Just for employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 04:57 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,477 times
Quote:
..... You mean to tell me the resident won't take advantage of working Lancaster while playing in Ballantyne? This could serve as a Sandy Springs ish area.
Yes. If you are talking about the native population of Lancaster. They have no interest in Mecklenburg county and the various strip developments that surround it.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:55 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
A couple things, population growth is not just from people moving in.

Population change is the net of - in and out migration + natural change (births vs deaths).

In a young area that has been rapidly growing, birth rates are very high, much higher than deaths, so even if nobody moved to Charlotte this year, the population would still likely be positive. That's not sustainable of course.

The other thing, is that despite the economy, migration trends still happen, even if to a smaller extent. Part of Portland's problem is that people want to live there, they move there, but the job situation is bad there, so more people are now in Portland's bad economy. No doubt that many cities with traditionally good economies and strong in-migration are suffering from similar effects...

Old 03-09-2011, 11:02 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
...The other thing, is that despite the economy, migration trends still happen, even if to a smaller extent. Part of Portland's problem is that people want to live there, they move there, but the job situation is bad there, so more people are now in Portland's bad economy. No doubt that many cities with traditionally good economies and strong in-migration are suffering from similar effects...
Exactly. That's the point I was making earlier. Another example is Pittsburgh, PA. That city's economy held up very well during the recession, but after four years, their economy hasn't help turn the tide of their anemic growth rate. At the end of the day, its still not attracting people like cities such as Charlotte.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:11 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Yes. If you are talking about the native population of Lancaster. They have no interest in Mecklenburg county and the various strip developments that surround it.
You mean strip developments like this one?

Hyw 9 Bypass Lancaster
34.73604,-80.784488 - Google Maps

^^^I'd say that is the most crowded parking lot in the county. Wouldn't you agree?

Anyways, they don't have to like Meck or even visit Meck. Heck, they don't even have to work in Meck. If 15% of that county commutes into a Charlotte MSA county (most likely Union and York) they are in.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:28 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
Quote:
xactly. That's the point I was making earlier. Another example is Pittsburgh, PA. That city's economy held up very well during the recession, but after four years, their economy hasn't help turn the tide of their anemic growth rate. At the end of the day, its still not attracting people like cities such as Charlotte.
While that is partly true, Pittsburgh’s net population change has been anchored down for 20+ years of a lasting legacy from the huge economic hit it took in the 80s (really nothing else like has happened to a single U.S. city on such a level).

The massive out migration of people in prime child producing years created a very unique situation where the natural change has been more deaths than births, even with counties that have net migration gains are still overall losing people. But yes migration trends are just that, trends, so it takes a lot of inertia to change the moving patterns.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:57 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Are you speaking as a spokesperson for Lancaster? I work in York and some of my co-workers reside in Lancaster. I can tell you they might strongly disagree with you.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:51 PM

348 posts, read 849,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Who knows. Few can imagine the type of economic hardship we are about to go through. By 2020 we will have seen economic catastrophe that makes Americans look back at the Great Depression longingly. We will have a very different country by then so its really impossible to predict.
I hear and feel what you're saying, but, drawing on my memory from college history classes umpteen years ago, a quarter of households during The Great Depression had no income, children left school to work in factories, mines, or farms. Many schools closed b/c they had no money. Cities shut off water services completely, and shanty towns called Hoovervilles were set up for the loads of homeless. God help us if we get to that point.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Are you speaking as a spokesperson for Lancaster? I work in York and some of my co-workers reside in Lancaster. I can tell you they might strongly disagree with you.
One of my grandfather's family was one of the town founders in the late 1700s and lived in a home built from that time. I am related to or know a ton of people from there. So yes I have some familiarity with it. This is why I said what I said. Sure a few people travel to York and even into Mecklenburg to work, fewer go to these places for anything else. Ask your co-workers about Flop Eye and/or the Yellowhammers.

Last edited by yantosh22; 03-10-2011 at 04:28 AM..

Old 03-10-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You mean strip developments like this one? Hyw 9 Bypass Lancaster
34.73604,-80.784488 - Google Maps ^^^I'd say that is the most crowded parking lot in the county. Wouldn't you agree?
No doubt and maybe because some of them work or have relatives who work at the huge Walmart distribution center in Pageland. It does prove out my point however they are not driving to Charlotte for shopping.

Walmart Distribution Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte