Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,662 times

Advertisements

Matthews is a great town. It has a very involved and interactive mayor, a great playhouse where your kids can take up classes or sign up for acting/dance etc. I've met him at community events and he is very warm and friendly. He has hosted a lot of community events regarding issues for the County which is where I've met him.

If your kids are in to baseball then Matthews has an excellent youth league (not municipal) with state of the art fields. That's another intersection I have with the town.

I guess the only reasons not to consider moving there would be if your husband worked in a part of town that was a pain to commute to since Matthews is towards on of the outer edges of the county.

While it is in the SE part of the county, SW is easy to get to for shopping etc but I wouldn't' want to commute to say the NW part of Charlotte if I was living there. Actually I'm in the opposite boat because I live in the NW section but I would certainly consider it if I didn't have roots where I am.

You can see the community center here: Parks & Recreation and you can e-mail the mayor here: Town Council

I'm sure you'll get a reply. I know he's already read this thread but the negative replies (which I think are in jest) will probably preclude him from chirping in.

The mayor is active on Twitter too and I appreciate that because I think participation is an important part of our civic duties and I like it when an elected official is accessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinglife27 View Post
Hi there! My husband and I will be moving to the Charlotte area in the next year (he is being transferred for work). I don't know much at all about the area but have heard good things about Matthews, NC. But I am so worried that I will feel out of place and I could use your input.

I am originally from Vermont but live in Maryland now, just outside DC. I am a social worker turned stay at home mom to 2 young kids. I am not a religous person, I vote democrat and while I have plenty of friends who have differing views, I just want to know that there are other people with my beliefs in the area. I certainly don't mean to stereotype the people living there.

Would Matthews be a good fit for us? Or is there another town you can recommend? Thanks in advance for your response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 08:51 PM

202 posts, read 347,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinglife27 View Post

I am originally from Vermont but live in Maryland now, just outside DC.. Thanks in advance for your response!
I moved from Rockville last June. I can honestly say that there is not one single thing I miss about that god forsaken part of the country. Lived there for nearly 17 years. The only thing i regret is that I did not move away sooner. I am a republican though many of views are towards the center. I found that politics here are not that big a deal. It seems the further you get away from the dc cesspool the less people care about them. Hope you enjoy it here I certainly do

Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 PM

22 posts, read 43,255 times
My husband and I are considering Matthews, too. I am also a Democrat, live in Northern Va. outside of DC and am a social worker. I have visited Matthews frequently and have found it to be very welcoming. You might also want to check out the meet-up groups that are offered in the area to get a feel for the diverse interests, perspectives, etc. If all else fails, we can storm the Bastille together! Good luck with your decision-making and with your move. I bet you'll do great!

Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 AM

587 posts, read 1,624,885 times
Remember this phrase and you'll be fine - "I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one" (said with a warm smile). Occasionally you'll have to say it more than once but I've found that if said in a warm and non-defensive manner, then people are almost always willing to let the point of disagreement go and move on.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:33 PM

123 posts, read 282,986 times
No more democrats need move here!! Just kidding, sort of...

Old 06-04-2011, 08:25 PM

60 posts, read 120,317 times
Default Matthews, NC

I am another Northerner moving to this area - shocking I know...
Can someone help me with the deal with Matthews - is it Meck or Union county, I read that it is both, and read it's all Meck - which is it??
The reason is I'm looking at a house considered Matthews, in Union county, with Union schools, but if it's Meck how can that be? wouldn't it then be Meck schools? If it is part Meck - can Meck take over the union portion?

Also does anyone have an opinion on a development called County Woods??

Does anyone know of an area in Union that is city water/sewer that allows for above ground pools in my own backyard...I'm finding the HOA's there only like built ins - if at all...and are very powerful....makes me nerveous...all I want to do is swim in my own yard when I want - can anyone help me?

Old 06-04-2011, 09:03 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,422 times
Matthews is all Mecklenburg County. Part of Mint Hill is in Union County. Counties can't take land from other counties in North Carolina.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harfordmom View Post
I am another Northerner moving to this area - shocking I know...
Can someone help me with the deal with Matthews - is it Meck or Union county, I read that it is both, and read it's all Meck - which is it??
The reason is I'm looking at a house considered Matthews, in Union county, with Union schools, but if it's Meck how can that be? wouldn't it then be Meck schools? If it is part Meck - can Meck take over the union portion?

Also does anyone have an opinion on a development called County Woods??

Does anyone know of an area in Union that is city water/sewer that allows for above ground pools in my own backyard...I'm finding the HOA's there only like built ins - if at all...and are very powerful....makes me nerveous...all I want to do is swim in my own yard when I want - can anyone help me?
Very simple. IF you live IN Matthews that is MECKLENBURG County. There are homes I know of in Indian Trail w/a MATTHEWS post office address (because of proximity I believe to the Matthews P.O.), however those are Union County.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:52 AM

6 posts, read 15,948 times
I live in Monroe, it's a quiet town, in our neighborhood everyone minds their own business. it's quiet, in our area and we live just enough outside of town to avoid the noise and traffic of the city. If you would like more info, call me at 704-289-5289

Old 06-05-2011, 07:58 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Very simple. IF you live IN Matthews that is MECKLENBURG County. There are homes I know of in Indian Trail w/a MATTHEWS post office address (because of proximity I believe to the Matthews P.O.), however those are Union County.
This completely true... I know people in Weddington with a Matthews MAILING address.

Post office will cross county lines.

http://www.city-data.com/zipmaps/Mat...-Carolina.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte