Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 07:52 PM

435 posts, read 1,814,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
What exactly is the "IB" program???
IB is International Baccalaureate
International Baccalaureate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,246 times
Parents or caregivers mostly determine the success of your children in school. My daughter just graduated from Charlotte Catholic, and is heading for Chapel Hill next week. There were about 40 students in her graduating class that were accepted. I sent my children to Catholic schools mostly for the discipline and the caring attitude of the teachers and students and their Friday night football games alone are worth the price of the education. My daughter had many friends who have graduated from local high schools, private, christian and public. All of these schools have outstanding students. Based on what I have observed, here are some of my observations.
The best public high schools are Providence, and Myers Park. Families will move to get their kids in these schools, especially the IB program at Myers Park. Union County schools are considered very good, but with all the growth out there, there may be growing pains and lots of trailers. Living in an expensive neighborhood does not guarentee good public schools. There also seems to be a trend in public schools where kids are dropping out at 16 and getting their GED's from CPCC. Of all the private schools, I like Providence Day the best. It's not all about the money. I know of many kids who went to the expensive schools and did not get into what are considered great colleges. I think when you spend that kind of money you may feel your child can get into a top notch school. Private schools exploded when people started moving to Charlotte about 20 years ago, got alot of money for the house they sold elsewhere, heard about the turmoil and uncertainty of the public school system, had extra cash and went private. Too long of a comment from me. Let your children know you expect the best of them, be there to help, know their friends, love them and they will be successful

Old 08-07-2007, 01:08 AM

94 posts, read 356,334 times
I have worked with teachers aross Charlotte-Meklenbug doing professional development and creating classroom based programs, and I have to say of all the teachers that I have worked with (incuding public and private), PDS has some of the best teachers out there. I think the caliber of teachers is what makes or breaks a school.

Growing up I was a CMS student, going to Eastover, AG, and Myers Park (where I was in the IB program). At no point did my parents think the education I was receiving was sub-par, or they would have sent me to private school. My IB teachers at MP were some of the best teachers I've had, including college professors. I think that you should consier the teaching staff and curriculum before you contemplate the money.

One last thing about the public/private dilemma. I did go to PDS for summer school for two summers to get ahead and do some prep work - the thing that I was amazed by was the enrichment and out of classroom activities that the PDS (and probably any private school) got to do. When the PDS kids talked about field trips they were going to Washington DC and national museums! When they asked me where we went for trips (being the only public school kid in the class), I had to honestly say that by the time I was in 9th grade my field trip experience was limited to a trip to the Observer, the Lance Factory, a 4th grade trip to Raleigh, and the James K Polk Memorial!! There is something to be said for the opprotunities that private schools can offer (I know its for a price) in terms of enrichment outside of the normal school day.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:35 AM

367 posts, read 1,028,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You didn't ask me but here are my two cents anyway - A strong college prep curriculum taught by experienced, successful, enthusiastic teachers - not a curriculum that teaches its students strictly how to be tested on standardized exams. For elementary kids, a phonics based reading program, no whole language garbage. A place where EVERYONE knows and uses proper grammer, including the teachers. An environment that is conducive to learning with no disruptions by those who aren't interested in being educated. And classes that have the resources needed to function at their best, i.e., a chemistry class should be taught in a chemistry lab where experients are a weekly part of class.
Pretty much described my public high school in Germantown Tennessee. We even had our own TV station and the students broadcast school sporting events on public TV. Its a shame public schools in Charlotte aren't up to snuff

Old 08-07-2007, 06:54 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
That is outrageous. No one said they are not "up to snuff." Actually, the schools here broadcast their own shows, too and are good schools-- no one said they were not good. You need to not twist what is being said and understand that things are very different that when we were in school.

Google "No Child Left Behind" and read up on what teachers around the entire country are dealing with.

Anyone who does not understand that there is indeed a difference though between SOME private education and SOME public education cannot be reasoned with on a message board anyway.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:14 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Pretty much described my public high school in Germantown Tennessee. We even had our own TV station and the students broadcast school sporting events on public TV. Its a shame public schools in Charlotte aren't up to snuff
Public schools in general in America aren't up to snuff. Don't go getting all high and mighty about Tennessee - you may have had a great experience, and I'm happy for you, but Tennessee public schools aren't exactly top rated as a whole. However, just as you were in one good school there, there are many good schools in NC and Charlotte too.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:26 AM

240 posts, read 1,021,682 times
My daughter has been in private school and public school. All private schools are not up to par as well as some public schools are not up to par.

I have seen high priced private schools that were not better than many public schools. People need to evaluate each private and public school on its own merit. That includes evaluating public schools in the CMS system. I don't think all of the schools are bad and I think we all can do things to make them better.

I have a background in Science and Math, I have made simple recommendation on things that our school could do to improve the math and science programs. Money is not needed to improve everything. Just a few ideas that have been proven successful and people willing to try to make things better.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washingtonian View Post
My daughter has been in private school and public school. All private schools are not up to par as well as some public schools are not up to par.

I have seen high priced private schools that were not better than many public schools. People need to evaluate each private and public school on its own merit. That includes evaluating public schools in the CMS system. I don't think all of the schools are bad and I think we all can do things to make them better.

I have a background in Science and Math, I have made simple recommendation on things that our school could do to improve the math and science programs. Money is not needed to improve everything. Just a few ideas that have been proven successful and people willing to try to make things better.

Good for you for trying to make the situation better where you are!

I agree 100% with everything you just said. Generalizations are never a good idea, though we humans are sure fond of making them

Old 08-08-2007, 12:12 PM

443 posts, read 1,257,449 times
Default To answer the original question...

Is providence Day worth the money? As you've seen from all of the postings, everything is subjective. Most people will, however, acknowledge that it is a very good school and your children will get a fine educaiton there.

If it is close to your home and you have a child who is average or above AND you can pay it without having to go to the poor house, I would say that yes, it is worth it.

However, if you have a strugling student CMS may have better things to meet his needs. Again, this is subjective. If you have a highly gifted student, the IB high schools in CMS might be a better bet.

Still, if you want a SAFE school and a clearly well respected and SOLID educaiton, yes...PD is worth the $.

Just my 2 cents!

T

Old 08-10-2007, 02:08 PM

367 posts, read 1,028,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Public schools in general in America aren't up to snuff. Don't go getting all high and mighty about Tennessee - you may have had a great experience, and I'm happy for you, but Tennessee public schools aren't exactly top rated as a whole. However, just as you were in one good school there, there are many good schools in NC and Charlotte too.
This entire thread was about a private school being worth the costs. From the posts I was seeing it looked like folks were implying that Charlotte schools were not up to snuff, I did not mean to lable them. I haven't been here long enough to know either way. My entire point was my education was as good as any private school and it was 100% state tax payer funded. I was not getting high an mighty about TN schools. I lived there 3 years while I was in high school. I have no ties to the state what so ever other than that. Folks are so defensive on this board
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte