Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:29 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times

Advertisements

I like stmarteen do my shopping at various stores to get the best deals..

BJ's for toiletries, paper towels & other things I can buy and store in my pantry.
Also use Food Lion alot (NO MEAT)because they are very cheap (however they don't take AMEX which drives me crazy...can't get my 5% back rebate...)

Use Harris Teeter for same day things...they are pricey obv.

Lowe's has the best cold cuts but they are out of the way for me

Finding that seafood down here is extremely expensive... Cheapest lobsters I've seen are $14.99/lb

Last edited by CouponJack; 08-07-2007 at 07:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 08:47 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I still can't find a decent pizza place...

<runs for cover>
My husband (a lifelong NYCer) bought some frozen pizza dough at Lowe's market a couple weeks ago. Thawed it out and made a homemade pizza that tasted JUST LIKE NY PIZZA. And my husband knows his NY pizza. When we were done (our family ate the whole pie - there was nothing left) we all sat back with grins on our faces, and my husband said, "Now THAT was the best pizza I've ever had."

He promptly went out and bought another dozen of those frozen pizza dough packages to keep on hand. The crust on that pizza was PERFECT - crunchy as you bite in, but still chewy. Just delish.

If you are up for making homemade pizza I can find out the brand name of the dough for anyone who is interested.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:51 AM

348 posts, read 429,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp View Post
I have heard a rumor that Wegmans may be moving even further south, possibly to Charlotte. I have a relative that is a manager there and I have asked him, but havn't heard yet. When I do, I will post. How wonderful would it be to have "weggies" down in Charlotte! Being from upstate NY, its so hard not having one at your finger tips!
It's not happening. There was a massive movement about a year ago by a woman who gathered thousands of signatures to petition Wegman's to come to Charlotte, and tho they were impressed by the outcry for them to come south--about 4 months ago they declined and said that this was not in their plans for the moment.

There are a couple of Whole Foods coming, however.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:59 AM

537 posts, read 1,767,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Grocery chains that spread themselves to thin often end up in failure in the long run.

Grocery chains that tried to tap the charlotte market but ended up in failure

Winn - Dixie
Ingles
Bi Lo has already closed several stores in the area.

Lowes, Food Lion, Harris Teeter Walmart Super Center have the market already saturated here

Main reason why new chains do not work here is Southerners like to buy from companies they know and trust and their isnt enough transplants to keep them afloat alone.

I hear what you are saying. However, do you know Wegmans??? {My mother really could be in their marketing department. All she talks about is Wegmans this and Wegmans that. (I remind you, she lives just north of Baltimore. She's the one that travels 2 hours to get to a "real" Wegmans because she's not pleased with the one in Hunt Valley just around the corner from her.) Anyway, it's a running joke now that we have to call it "You-Know" because she CANNOT stop talking about this place. I really think she loves this store more than she loves me.}

I am not marketing for Wegmans. I live no where near one. I've only visited the store in Dulles once (my virgin visit) after my flight landed there and my mom came to pick me up. She was so excited to do that because it gave her an excuse to go AND share her excitement of the store with me. Then I've been to the one in Hunt Valley a few times on later visits to my mother's. And about this store in Hunt Valley... it is SOOO popular, shopping there is like shopping at Walmart during Black Friday!!! The parking lot is always packed.

Anyway, if you research the place, you'll find that there really is no chance of them "spreading themselves too thin." They'll only open one or two stores a year. And only once the last store opened is up and running well and smoothly. And although I'd like to pretend that I just don't care about all the raving about Wegmans, until you experience it, you cannot imagine a grocery store quite like this. Maybe I'm just jealous that she gets a store like that. I'd be surprised to see Wegmans make it down here before 2010. As far as their growth is concerned, they move slowly.

Wegmans: About Us (broken link)

Back on Topic:
The OP is looking for a grocery store here in Charlotte. Out of my current choices in and around Charlotte, I like Harris Teeter. Although I think Bi-Lo has the best grocery-store bakery. Mmmm, Birthday Cake.

ETA: Ooops. I took too long to type and post. lisaf has posted that Wegmans is not coming anytime soon. I'd imagine they'll have to get a few more stores in Md. and Va. before they start easing into NC. And then, I'd bet they'd put their first store in Raleigh. But who knows? Time will tell.

Last edited by LakesideAnnie; 08-07-2007 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: too slow for posting

Old 08-07-2007, 09:13 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
THERE ARE NOT WEGMANS HERE, OK. WE GET IT!

If I have to read about that one more time I am seriously going to pluck out my own eyeballs.

I am going to go to the Northern states' forums and write Harris Teeter Harris Teeter Harris Teeter Harris Teeter.....

Old 08-07-2007, 09:17 AM

537 posts, read 1,767,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
THERE ARE NOT WEGMANS HERE, OK. WE GET IT!

If I have to read about that one more time I am seriously going to pluck out my own eyeballs. .....

Now you know how I feel when my mom comes to visit.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:18 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
Haha, I bet! I feel for ya, LOL!

Old 08-07-2007, 10:24 AM

185 posts, read 583,026 times
Thumbs up Good shopping Great pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I still can't find a decent pizza place...

<runs for cover>
O.K. I miss wegmans also (kmway don't pluck my eyeballs out !) lol However,Harris Teeter is nice and my new favorite being it lead me to great pizza. I'm in Matthews and the new Harris Teeter that opened also has Angela's Pizza in that same plaza! Lucky find. I killed two birds with one stone so to speak. This place is pretty new,so I thought I'd share.....I've been telling everyone. (hey,being a northerner these things make me happy)

Btw I've encountered much southern hospitality here, thank you!

Lowes and Wally World are runners up!
FYI .. if there is something Harris Teeter does not offer,you can fill the request card out to carry those items.
I miss Shoprite Too!

Last edited by newtothis; 08-07-2007 at 11:25 AM..

Old 08-07-2007, 12:39 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
I miss Shoprite Too!
Oh man I hate to type this (sorry kmway), but I reeeally miss my ShopRite. But I have to agree with the "Wegman's-crazy" mom...Wegman's isn't grocery shopping, it's an EXPERIENCE. Trust me. My mother lives right outside of DC and I've only been there a few times, so I can't say I miss Wegman's, but it sure is an amazing store. Although it's definitely not a store for bargains. And that's what I'm all about, so that's why I miss my ShopRite so. One stop shopping, dirt cheap.
I do appreciate so many other things in Charlotte that we never had in NJ, so I won't complain.
Now, can someone please explain what the "big deal" is about Trader Joe's opening here?

Old 08-07-2007, 01:09 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Bloom sounds interesting to me, do you know if they are building any in Charlotte?
There is another one coming to Steele Creek at Steele Creek Rd/485. One thing I like about Bloom is the layout of the stores. Merchandise is grouped together based on catagory. Example: All breakfast food is on the same aisle; Milk, cereal, oatmeal, eggs, bacon etc. is all found together. You can also get Food Lion's "MVP" specials without a card. They also have a mix and match beer portfolio, where you can pick any six bottles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte