Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:07 PM

214 posts, read 399,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I can't figure out what the problem is . . . why people would even want to try these substances. I realize most kids are gonna do some experimenting. Maybe if marijuana were legalized, they would just experiement with that and not meth and heroin. Or not . . .

What occurs in Europe? Are drugs not a problem there?

I've tried most of these substances at one time or another (unfortunately). I can say from experience one of the biggest thrills of doing these things is the rebellion, or knowing that it's illegal and not getting caught. Alcohol for instance...drank like crazy until I was 21 and then it kinda lost it's fun. Maybe it was me maturing, or maybe it was me not getting the thrill. Who knows.

Honestly, it's hard for me to comprehend how a crime can be committed when there is no victim. I think Tom sitting on his couch smoking a bowl before bed while watching the 3 Stooges shouldn't be a crime. It should be the same as alcohol. Drink or smoke all you want at home....there's no laws against it. Get in the car and that's where the line is crossed. There's potential for there to be a victim in those cases.

I honestly don't know if this rant has anything to do with the subject, but it was fun letting it all out. I promise I'm not/was not doing any illegal or legal drugs while typing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 03:26 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I can't figure out what the problem is . . . why people would even want to try these substances. I realize most kids are gonna do some experimenting. Maybe if marijuana were legalized, they would just experiement with that and not meth and heroin. Or not . . .

What occurs in Europe? Are drugs not a problem there?
Kids try stuff because they're told not to, so it must be good. It's the cookie jar effect. Rebellion, as said below. It's also because we focus on it so much. I did. DM if you want more info.

Keep in mind that it's not the drugs themselves that make them seem so terrible. It's the way we view them and their possible effects. Many people use drugs, and lead full, healthy lives, and no one is the wiser. There are many ways to legally impair one self, but we chose a few drugs to focus on.

From what my buddy who lived in Germany for 12 years tells me, Europe is very hard on anyone caught with drugs. BUT they're also not putting nearly the effort into the "war on drugs" because they're enlightened to the fact that until a person's drug use becomes a problem for others, it's only a problem for themselves. It's like prostitution in Vegas. It's illegal, but it's everywhere, everyone knows about it, and until there's a big problem, most people look the other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp1983 View Post
I've tried most of these substances at one time or another (unfortunately). I can say from experience one of the biggest thrills of doing these things is the rebellion, or knowing that it's illegal and not getting caught. Alcohol for instance...drank like crazy until I was 21 and then it kinda lost it's fun. Maybe it was me maturing, or maybe it was me not getting the thrill. Who knows.

Honestly, it's hard for me to comprehend how a crime can be committed when there is no victim. I think Tom sitting on his couch smoking a bowl before bed while watching the 3 Stooges shouldn't be a crime. It should be the same as alcohol. Drink or smoke all you want at home....there's no laws against it. Get in the car and that's where the line is crossed. There's potential for there to be a victim in those cases.

I honestly don't know if this rant has anything to do with the subject, but it was fun letting it all out. I promise I'm not/was not doing any illegal or legal drugs while typing this.
I could spend all day talking about the stupidity of our laws on this and related subjects. Marijuana is illegal, but alcohol is not? Cigarettes, a substance that when used properly WILL ABSOLUTELY cause health problems, are legal, but smoking a joint from time to time in my home is illegal??? The hypocrisy is ridiculous.

I agree that it should be my right to do whatever, without limits of any kind, to myself, up to the point of that activity affecting the rights of someone else.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:25 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,450,438 times
Natural Selection at it's finest.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:46 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times
The drugs themselves aren't so bad, it is the way people view them?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Kids try stuff because they're told not to, so it must be good. It's the cookie jar effect. Rebellion, as said below. It's also because we focus on it so much. I did. DM if you want more info.

Keep in mind that it's not the drugs themselves that make them seem so terrible. It's the way we view them and their possible effects. Many people use drugs, and lead full, healthy lives, and no one is the wiser. There are many ways to legally impair one self, but we chose a few drugs to focus on.

From what my buddy who lived in Germany for 12 years tells me, Europe is very hard on anyone caught with drugs. BUT they're also not putting nearly the effort into the "war on drugs" because they're enlightened to the fact that until a person's drug use becomes a problem for others, it's only a problem for themselves. It's like prostitution in Vegas. It's illegal, but it's everywhere, everyone knows about it, and until there's a big problem, most people look the other way.

I could spend all day talking about the stupidity of our laws on this and related subjects. Marijuana is illegal, but alcohol is not? Cigarettes, a substance that when used properly WILL ABSOLUTELY cause health problems, are legal, but smoking a joint from time to time in my home is illegal??? The hypocrisy is ridiculous.

I agree that it should be my right to do whatever, without limits of any kind, to myself, up to the point of that activity affecting the rights of someone else.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
The drugs themselves aren't so bad, it is the way people view them?????
That's what I said, except you left out "and their possible effects". Would you like further explanation, or is there any point?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
That's what I said, except you left out "and their possible effects". Would you like further explanation, or is there any point?

Wow......

Old 06-28-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Wow......
I see there's no point.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:03 AM

A lot of good professional information in this article.

Alarm sounded over black tar heroin use | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/29/2415088/alarm-sounded-over-black-tar-heroin.html - broken link)

Old 06-29-2011, 01:46 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Kids try black tar because marijuana and alcohol aren't enough for them. Some kids want/need more to escape their hell.

The sad thing is most of the kids who are in this so-called hell are middle class and upper middle class kids.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:04 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Perhaps they need solace from getting arrested at the Epicenter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: