Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:56 AM

152 posts, read 622,911 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at this community and were wondering if there is anyone out there who lives there, or who knows it?? We work from home, have no children and want a home on the lake. We were looking at Cornelius but this community looks very nice. We really wanted a smaller home as there are only 2 of us but really want a lakefront home with its own dock. Thanks for any help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,602 times
If you work from home, then my preference would be the West side of the lake.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:53 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
If you work from home, then my preference would be the West side of the lake.
"Honey, we should move to The Harbour at the Pointe"

"No, I think we should move to the west side of the lake, because we work from home."

"Really? Why would you say that?"

"Well, an anonymous guy on an internet forum said so, but didn't give any reasons."

"Oh, well then by all means we should base our decision on that. Let's go look there right now!"

Old 07-07-2011, 02:35 PM

We know we definately want Mooresville or Cornelius, I was just wanting to know if anyone lived in the Harbour but I guess it was a long shot.!

Old 07-07-2011, 03:20 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
There's "The Point" and "The Harbour at The Pointe"... The Point is the step up from The Harbour with well over 100 listings to choose from between them - some being actually on the lake. Many of the homes will have dockage even if they aren't on the water.

If your only requirement is a small house on the lake, I'd suggest getting with a good RE agent. You have tons of choices and you may not necessarily need to be in that HoA.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy02 View Post
We know we definately want Mooresville or Cornelius, I was just wanting to know if anyone lived in the Harbour but I guess it was a long shot.!
As mentioned, I am not exactly sure where you are looking. If this is on Brawley School Rd. and hence my comment above, the traffic is usually terrible at best. Even though you are not a commuter, maybe this is something you should still consider. You will also get more for your money on the westside.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:40 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,642 times
What are your other requirements in a neighborhood?
Do you mind an older home that's renovated or do you prefer something newer?
Do you want a community pool in a SD with lots of kids or prefer something quieter, without HOAs and fewer kids on the block- so to speak, but maybe less cookie cutter and manicured?

If you are happy to be in a non -HOA community that's well kept you will probably find a smaller home that's waterfront within your budget (looking at the price of homes in The Harbor.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:30 PM

We do not have children but do not mind living in a community with lots of them. We have 2 dogs that we walk so we would like side walks if possible. We like to exercise outdoors so would love a trail or something nearby . We do not mind an older home that is renovated , we would prefer this over a new huge home with no character. We would prefer a community that has trees and mature landscaping. I have been told that the Harbour at the Pointe is a nice older neighborhood. I think the homes on the Pointe are far too big for us, very nice but not really what we want.
I should also mention that we want a dock on our property not elsewhere on the community. Views of the lake would be nice but not necessary as I would prefer some trees!
Our budget is very negotiable but I want a comfortable home not a Mcmansion. It seems like many of the communities around the lake have these huge 5000 sq ft plus homes which I am sure are great for some but are just not what we are looking for.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:45 PM

Lake Norman was created in 1963 and for a very long while, there wasn't much interest in it. So you are not going to find anything old beyond maybe a late 60s ranch. The vast majority of the lake was developed in the 80s and later. I recommend that you talk to a very experienced real estate agent who knows the area to find a home, in a non-planned community. Initially after the lake was created, Duke Power was selling individual lots and a house on one of these is probably what you are looking for. These lots will almost always have deep water access and a license for a dock on the property.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:44 PM

6 posts, read 8,958 times
We lived in the Harbour for several years - no kids but just one working from home. It is a much better investment/value than the Point (as the number of homes available there implies). Given recent history, now is a good time to get in at a reasonable price. We were very happy there but opportunities took us elsewhere. PM me if you would like to discuss more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte