Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,669 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm new here.. I live in Apex (Raleigh area) now and I just got an job offer in Lincolnton. I'm looking for somewhere with a bit more to do then Lincolnton, but not downtown Charlotte. Most of the people at the company live in Charlotte or Huntersville. I'm looking for a place that wouldn't be too long of a commute, good schools and near farmer's markets and organic foods (fresh market, trader joes, ect)

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 06:48 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chili11 View Post
Hi! I'm new here.. I live in Apex (Raleigh area) now and I just got an job offer in Lincolnton. I'm looking for somewhere with a bit more to do then Lincolnton, but not downtown Charlotte. Most of the people at the company live in Charlotte or Huntersville. I'm looking for a place that wouldn't be too long of a commute, good schools and near farmer's markets and organic foods (fresh market, trader joes, ect)

Any suggestions?
What things to do are you looking for? That will have something to do with where to recommend.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,669 times
Stuff to do for kids, vegetarian friendly restaurants, parks..we don't go out much but don't want to be too far from the city. Thanks!

Old 09-17-2011, 07:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
You will not find vegetarian restaurants in Lincolnton or much restaurant variety for that matter.
Nor vegetarian stores or stores that sale organic food. You will need to go to Huntersville, Cornelius, or Charlotte for that.

Parks there is Betty G Ross park by South Fork River it has a large kids playground and walking trail by the river & there is City Park.

Things to for kids involve getting involve in school or church activities.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-17-2011 at 07:28 PM..

Old 09-17-2011, 08:36 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chili11 View Post
Stuff to do for kids, vegetarian friendly restaurants, parks..we don't go out much but don't want to be too far from the city. Thanks!
Well. . . you might be happiest in Huntersville. Here's what you're going to find west of Charlotte.

I'll start with Lincolnton itself. We never recommend it. It's a beautiful town & they don't like outsiders. We have a couple of posters who live in Lincoln County. Hopefull, one will see this.

In Gaston County, you'd probably want to be in Belmont, Cramerton, or the SE corner of Gastonia.
In Cleveland County, Kings Mountain might work for you. The city has events scheduled year round. City of Kings Mountain, North Carolina

For farmers markets, Gastonia has an excellent farmers market. Most shopping west of Charlotte is in Gastonia. There is also a farm market in Kings Mountain. It's a private market connected to a farm.

The nearest Trader Joe's from the area west of Charlotte is the Midtown location.

There is a health food store in Gastonia. http://www.organic-marketplace.com/retailer/store_templates/shell_id_1.asp?storeID=646930BA61564DBB8D0C708E207 889BD (broken link)

Ingles Markets carries a lot of organic foods. Ingles Markets - Grocery Stores, Supermarkets, Pharmacies You can check the weekly flyer by clicking weekly ads, North Carolina, eastern North Carolina. (I know, it's not eastern North Carolina, but that's how they term this area. They are based in Ashville.) Ingles is in Dallas, Bessemer City & Kings Mountain. Kings Mountain is the largest (80K sq ft)

This may help with your restaurant question. Vegan Friendly Restaurants - Gastonia - Charlotte | Urbanspoon

As for schools, west of Charlotte, you want to look at certain areas of Lincoln County (Look for the areas that feed to North Lincoln HS.) Look at Belmont, Cramerton or SE Gastonia. Also look at Kings Mountain but be certain that it's the Cleveland County side because of schools.

Last edited by southbound_295; 09-17-2011 at 08:59 PM..

Old 09-18-2011, 12:48 PM

443 posts, read 1,258,575 times
West of Charlotte (not West Charlotte) near Mountain Island Lake might not be too bad for you. The commute would be easy to both uptown Charlotte and Lincolnton and if your kids could get into Lincoln Charter School or Mountian Island Charter you would be set. Public schools? Hmmm...not as great.
In addition, there is a new park there heavily used by local (Coulwood/Mt. Island) rec. sports with a big playground and doggie park. Lots of scouts and rec. sports options for kids. There are a ton of good neigborhoods...Mt. Island Harbor, Overlook, Riverbend and older neighborhoods like Coulwood. Finally, you will be not far at all from the White Water Center...a fun place for families to go.

Taben
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte