Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:59 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

Do any of you know anything about the Lincolnton,NC area? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I don't know anything about the area, just curious what kind of area it is, rural or more urban?
Anything is helpful....

Thanks in advance...

Andrea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 07:03 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,060 times
for the most part its rural but it is starting to build up.....

Old 04-07-2008, 07:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Lincolnton is great friendly small well established city sitting at the cusp of the foothills of North Carolina.

It has a very cute downtown area that the county court house is in the center of the road (a round about street design). It also has restaurants, coffee shops, and a walking trail funded by one of the late locals converting a old train track. Gorgeous historical homes on the west side of the court house (some need a good rehab)

The museum is nothing to write home about I was in and out of there in five minutes.
I am sure if they find a new location it will be alot bigger but many of the articles was locked up in storage

Outside of the downtown area there is plenty of chain restaurants and stores to meet your needs.

You are also near Hickory (great place to buy furniture) and Gastonia for more shopping and restaurants I would say they are about 15 minutes, and Charlotte is about 30 minutes.

Alot of rural country side as well if you was to divde the city up the rural areas are beyond where 150 and 27 split on the east side and where 27 and 150 split on the west side.
The west side has more rolling hills due to it proximity to the foothills and some places you can have mountain views.
The people there are very friendly and I find they have their own dialect.
The schools of Lincoln County are also known to have very strong rave reviews

Lincolnton, North Carolina (NC) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

You will also notice that the teachers and students perform higher than the state average in most of the catergories listed
District Search Results Page
Except Lincolnton High (and it feeder schools)
All the others do exceptionally well.
Great small North Carolina southern town with lots of character.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-07-2008 at 07:33 AM..

Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,760 times
I grew up there. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:16 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,781,712 times
I will be moving there from NJ in July. We chose the area because it is close to Lake Norman and the Mountains and is kind of rural and because of the schools.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:27 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
Thanks to all who responded. I really appreciate it and the information just confirms that moving back down that way is the right thing to do! I look forward to it. After having grown up in Florida and then moving to Pennsylvania, I can't wait to get back to the slower paced lifestyle and the very friendly people - which are lacking up this way.

Thanks again!

Andreaspercheron

Old 04-14-2008, 06:18 PM

3 posts, read 13,788 times
Great Schools, very close to Lake Norman. Has that small town feel, but growing area.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:47 AM

1 posts, read 7,047 times
Default Lincolnton

Lincolnton NC is a great little town. Lincolnton and Lincoln County have relatively low taxes. You have Lake Norman on the east side of Lincoln County, a nice lake created by Duke energy. East Lincoln County is bustling with the Towns of Mooresville, Denver. Just south is Huntersville and Davidson (Mecklenberg Co.) Mecklenberg County has very high taxes including a higher sales tax rate. Lincoln County is just about an hour to Asheville, just under an Hour to snow skiing around the Boone area. It is about 4 hours to the ocean. There is a neat little bookstore on the square called North State Books (especially if you like to rummage-they have so many books that you can hardly walk). Snow skiiing, waterskiiing, oceans, history-Close to Charleston, Not too bad a drive to Williamsburg Va. I grew up in neighboring Gastonia. Our taxes are higher.
The biggest drawback is NC taxes are some of the highest in the South. If you add our gas tax, sales tax, income taxes, and the plethora of fees. We used to have conservative Democrats who were fiscally responsible. Under our last governor, Mike Easley, he almost doubled state spending from $11 billion to over $20 billion in eight years. He expanded all kinds of state agencies. And yet, Charlotte as a result of Eastern politicians having controlled the state for hundreds of years, cannot even get one bypass (I-485) completed. Charlotte has 2/3 of a beltway, and Raleigh has two. Fuquay Varina just outside Raleigh has a nice four lane highway to Raleigh, every bit as good as Hwy 321 (and better in some places on 321) and 1/10 the traffic. Western NC pays for highways in Eastern NC. We have net deficits in Hwy Spending. Plus, to make things worse, although the gas tax is one of the highest in the South, the Politicians downeast, use the highway funds, not for highways, but to fund their pet projects of the week. As a resident of NC, I am thinking about moving to just across the border to SC. There are lots of sleepy towns there as well, close to the beaches, the Catawba River for skiing, and the Mountains as well. Just inside the SC border you can take advantage of all the benefits of being Close to all the attractions of Charlotte if you choose, but not all of the disadvantages of traffic snarls, crime, etc. if your choose not to go there. Clover, York, Fort Mill, Rock Hill, Gaffney, all offer I-85 or I-77 offer ease of transport into NC, with the drawback of highway 49. As a sales rep, when I work close to the the line, I usually will fill up my gas tank as gas is usually is at least 9C per gallon cheaper. If you have kids, Lincoln County Schools are better as a rule (though not wholly so) better than Gaston County Schools (Gastonia) In Gaston County, it is a case by case study of schools to get your kids in the better schools, but Clover schools rate with Lincoln.
Probably one place I would not move would be Chester SC. My wife and I lived there three years, but moved back to NC when my kids were old enough to go to school. The school system is not very good over all, there is high unemployment. Chester county has more problems than most.
I noticed on your site, you like horses. This is great horse country. There is at least one horse event at Dallas NC annually. Any other topics feel free to contact me. Best of Luck, Col Dan Rankin, Auctioneer

Old 02-18-2012, 05:00 AM

3 posts, read 6,236 times
Interesting info. Thinking of moving toNC from DE. Reasons mainly include better climate and prefer to live closer to metro area where there is plenty to do, I am social and like cultural events. Things I like about where I am are being close to the beach, low property taxes and no sales taxes, milder weather than PA where I am originally from and the fact that I was able to afford land to set up my own horse farm. What I DON'T like is I am two hours from any major city (where my friends live), yet I could not afford anything near what I have closer to DC, where I live is pretty dead 8-9 months of the year, local mentality is rather 'hickish' so not much in the way of social/nightlife/dating/cultural opportunities. I constantly have to drive two hours for that except in the summer when my friends migrate to me. Could I find land for horses somewhere between Charlotte NC and the coast that is not too 'backwards?' I am a veterinarian. (Job important too!)

Old 02-18-2012, 07:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcel View Post
Interesting info. Thinking of moving toNC from DE. Reasons mainly include better climate and prefer to live closer to metro area where there is plenty to do, I am social and like cultural events. Things I like about where I am are being close to the beach, low property taxes and no sales taxes, milder weather than PA where I am originally from and the fact that I was able to afford land to set up my own horse farm. What I DON'T like is I am two hours from any major city (where my friends live), yet I could not afford anything near what I have closer to DC, where I live is pretty dead 8-9 months of the year, local mentality is rather 'hickish' so not much in the way of social/nightlife/dating/cultural opportunities. I constantly have to drive two hours for that except in the summer when my friends migrate to me. Could I find land for horses somewhere between Charlotte NC and the coast that is not too 'backwards?' I am a veterinarian. (Job important too!)

If you like social and like cultural events Lincolnton is not the town for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte