Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 10:26 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
OK so still nothing about corporate America, death threats?
An email entitled "Time to kill the wealthy" from a movement aimed at the 1%????????? WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED????????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 10:32 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
An email entitled "Time to kill the wealthy" from a movement aimed at the 1%????????? WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED????????????????
Are you serious?

You honestly feel that the tens of thousands of protesters are actively seeking to kill the elite in this country?

If so, well, hmm. I guess we have nothing to debate then, as you really can't debate someone who is illogical (kinda like talking to a woman, I kid I kid ).

Old 10-08-2011, 10:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Ani, I think you are the one drinking the Kool-Aid...

Gas isn't pennies on the dollar... rent isn't pennies on the dollar... we cannot compete with China and India. It's impossible.
We are talking about the same thing, Felt. We really agree and sadly, we are talking around each other!

I am not justifying how things got the way they are but on the other hand, I feel that assigning blame to corporate America is shallow and an over-simplication of a very complex situation.

I am concerned that folks are not seeing what is really going on that has brought the middle class to its knees.

Profit-taking seems to be associated with Wall Street in people's minds, but Wall Street is not the culprit. WE are the culprit. We are our own worst enemies. We are the ones who have created the monster!

Don't you understand what I am saying?

It is as tho a large portion of American society has decided the solution is a Robin Hood approach to economics - as tho "the rich" somehow ripped us off and left us all hanging out here, disrespected, demeaned and beaten.

Yet, who amongst us hasn't fought to get the best benefit package possible? Who amongst us that belongs to a Union hasn't fought to get the biggest raise, the best pension possible? Big Bad Corporate America owed it to us! But at the same time, while we were demanding those pay raises and benefits packages . . . the cost of doing business was also going up. So companies have off-shored their businesses.

That is just one tiny aspect of this whole picture.

Add to that the pressure for businesses to show a profit to stockholders! And who are the stockholders? WE ARE! Our pension plans, our TSAs, our 401Ks, our 403 Bs . . . WE ARE CORPORATE AMERICA and our welfare is dependent on corporate American remaining healthy.

This is not some abstract theory or off the wall idea I came up with. It is the real world and until we all get on the same page and can start sorting out what has really gone wrong in this country - and find some solutions together - finger pointing and blame shifting is gonna get us nowhere but DIVIDED.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:43 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Are you serious?

You honestly feel that the tens of thousands of protesters are actively seeking to kill the elite in this country?

If so, well, hmm. I guess we have nothing to debate then, as you really can't debate someone who is illogical (kinda like talking to a woman, I kid I kid ).
I doubt many people want to kill off the wealthy but there are few amongst us, it appears, who wouldn't feel a real sense of relief and even justice if the wealthy suddenly had to give up their wealth by distributing it across the masses . . . and if they "lost" their wealth, it would probably make a big chunk of our populace feel very happy, indeed.

People don't want to admit they are that petty (and envious and angry) at their core. But you know I am speaking the truth.

There is a reason the Robin Hood legend has always held such strong appeal. People relate to it.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:09 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Are you serious?

You guys love bending and twisting statements to avoid debating a point.

I didn't say "tens of thousands", I asked "how many" in a hypothetical paragraph. In a pinch I came up with one group in regards to a death threat.

And you wonder where my "death to corporate 'merica" part came from.

No, I do NOT believe they represent the majority. I do believe they're a fringe incited by this misguided movement.

I do like how you took the only goof part of my hypothetical paragraph where I used other symbols of corporate greed and you ignored EVERYTHING else...and still had that one thing shot down too. That's pretty funny.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:00 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,194,850 times
Quote:
Then maybe you should have tried to be the hedge fund manager. Maybe you should have shot for the big time CEO position instead of trying to compare two totally different job descriptions. And if you didn't have the skill set for those positions, don't blame them or anybody else for any shortcomings.
LOLOLOL, especially considering you ALSO said this:

Quote:

Quote:
If someone has the chance to make Mark Zuckerberg or CEO of BP type money, you go for it. If you went up to the occupywallstreet or occupycharlotte protestors and said "here's your big chance to be a part of the 1%, have at it" those picket signs would be dropped in a damn heartbeat. You wanna pay some of it back, go ahead, but watch those protests dwindle to near nothing.
Ok. I see FOX news has coached you up good.

Quote:
I swear the amount of "I don't have so neither should they" is astonishing. No wonder we're in the mess we're in. Like Ani pointed out, it's not Wall Street. It's the rest of America. Let me tell you, the amount of greed being shown in that respect stuns me.
WE'RE GREEDY? You don't know squat about me, but you say I'm greedy because I want the rich to pay taxes? I'm greedy because I want the banks to be responsible? I'm greedy because, after half a lifetime of working full-time, I haven't had a significant raise almost 4 years? I'm greedy because I'm sick of profit taking on Wall Street emptying the value of my portfolio? You have a lot of nerve.

Quote:
Since when is ANYONE in this country ENTITLED to ANYTHING?
Exactly. Why are the corporate executives any different? But talk about taxing them at the same rate as the middle class and the brainwashed corporate cheerleaders come out of the woodwork trying to make it some issue about how hard someone worked.

Well here's a newsflash buddy... there's a lot of people like me that are pissed cause we believed that BS ten years ago. We went to in-state colleges and worked our way through. We graduated with B.S.s and M.S.s with no debt because we didn't want to start behind the 8-ball. We bought hondas and fords, probably used because we didn't want to tie up money in fancy cars. We worked hard, and honestly, and loyally and were told what good employees we were. We bought modest-sized homes we could afford, we invested conservatively because we had a long time to amass our nest egg. And now we are seeing our lives stagnate. Our portfolios are barely treading water. We haven't had a decent raise in years. We are paying more money for less of everything and some anonymous dude has the nerve to call ME GREEDY? And we still hear talk about this trickle down economy, give me a break!

Quote:
You were never guaranteed to be rich. You were never guaranteed to be poor. You were never guaranteed to stay middle class. You were supposed to be guaranteed a chance to succeed or fail with minimal government intervention. Some are going to fail miserably and some are going to succeed wildly. Call it a darwinian law of nature of sorts, but at least if you worked hard you'd have a shot.

To see that message become lost in a sea of entitlement, all because "boo hoo, Exxon raked in x amount of billions and I don't have a fraction of that" is both hilarious and sad at the same time.
Hyperbole much? Amazing that just a few posts later you have the nerve to write this:

Quote:
Well even though you're short on facts, you get an A+ for spirit. Go get 'em tiger.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:22 AM

841 posts, read 1,432,300 times
Oh brother. When I start to see this devolve into things like "You follow Fox news!" or "MSNBC gave you your talking points!" I know we've stopped discussing facts and went into grandstanding.

The irony of the "Cheerleader" photo is that the use of the "Fox News!" snipe makes you sound like a cheerleader for the "other side."

Like Ani said, as long as we stay so divided to digress into silly tactics when discussing the issues then the politicians or the "hated 1%" have us licked... and they're laughing at us.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
LOLOLOL, especially considering you ALSO said this:

Ok. I see FOX news has coached you up good.

WE'RE GREEDY? You don't know squat about me, but you say I'm greedy because I want the rich to pay taxes? I'm greedy because I want the banks to be responsible? I'm greedy because, after half a lifetime of working full-time, I haven't had a significant raise almost 4 years? I'm greedy because I'm sick of profit taking on Wall Street emptying the value of my portfolio? You have a lot of nerve.

Exactly. Why are the corporate executives any different? But talk about taxing them at the same rate as the middle class and the brainwashed corporate cheerleaders come out of the woodwork trying to make it some issue about how hard someone worked.

Well here's a newsflash buddy... there's a lot of people like me that are pissed cause we believed that BS ten years ago. We went to in-state colleges and worked our way through. We graduated with B.S.s and M.S.s with no debt because we didn't want to start behind the 8-ball. We bought hondas and fords, probably used because we didn't want to tie up money in fancy cars. We worked hard, and honestly, and loyally and were told what good employees we were. We bought modest-sized homes we could afford, we invested conservatively because we had a long time to amass our nest egg. And now we are seeing our lives stagnate. Our portfolios are barely treading water. We haven't had a decent raise in years. We are paying more money for less of everything and some anonymous dude has the nerve to call ME GREEDY? And we still hear talk about this trickle down economy, give me a break!

Hyperbole much? Amazing that just a few posts later you have the nerve to write this:

Well even though you're short on facts, you get an A+ for spirit. Go get 'em tiger.

You kooks are unreal. Where did I EVER say corporations shouldn't pay taxes? Where did I say there WASN'T greed at the top? Where have I ever been a corporate cheerleader ANYWHERE in this thread. I'm not cheerleading them, I'm certainly not cheerleading you on your quest against them.

I've taken the anti-government route this entire thread. I've even stated that yes, I do have a problem with the strong hold that corporate America has on big government (if you bothered to read) but that gets lost because I'm not directly behind you and far more for against Washington than Wall Street.

Keep in mind the anti-government road I drive on includes aiming at both republicans and democrats. So you keep bringing up your Faux News argument to make yourself feel better.

But I LOVE that some anonymous dude got under your skin. It must hurt knowing that you felt the need to craft a response like this because I got to the inner greed in YOU, doesn't it. Because so much of your response is "I don't have" and "I didn't get" and "look what happened to me".

Have fun in front of BofA.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:33 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,194,850 times
Quote:
You kooks are unreal. Where did I EVER say corporations shouldn't pay taxes? Where did I say there WASN'T greed at the top? Where have I ever been a corporate cheerleader ANYWHERE in this thread. I'm not cheerleading them, I'm certainly not cheerleading you on your quest against them.

I've taken the anti-government route this entire thread. I've even stated that yes, I do have a problem with the strong hold that corporate America has on big government (if you bothered to read) but that gets lost because I'm not directly behind you and far more for against Washington than Wall Street.

Keep in mind the anti-government road I drive on includes aiming at both republicans and democrats. So you keep bringing up your Faux News argument to make yourself feel better.

But I LOVE that some anonymous dude got under your skin. It must hurt knowing that you felt the need to craft a response like this because I got to the inner greed in YOU, doesn't it. Because so much of your response is "I don't have" and "I didn't get" and "look what happened to me".

Have fun in front of BofA.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
Oh brother. When I start to see this devolve into things like "You follow Fox news!" or "MSNBC gave you your talking points!" I know we've stopped discussing facts and went into grandstanding.

The irony of the "Cheerleader" photo is that the use of the "Fox News!" snipe makes you sound like a cheerleader for the "other side.".
With no talking points other than "poor me".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte