Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:00 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,549,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
As long as you are respectful and in costume I don't see a problem with kids being from other neighborhoods. Some of you are so darn bitter. what next, interrogation. and photo ID's to prove you are from the neighborhood?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Agreed! I don't care where they come from, I love having trick-or-treaters, the more the merrier
I'm glad to see some others think as I do lol.

But to answer the question, the best bang for your buck neighborhoods would have a) lots of houses b) houses very close together c) small front yards, thus short driveways.

I can think of a few here in the Wesley Chapel/weddington/waxhaw area but I don't want anyone to get mad at me for posting their neighborhood lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 04:50 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times
^I would also add, neighborhoods with people of the age to have kids.

There used to be lots of trick or treaters here, but all the kids on the street are grown now so not any show up these days. This is a neighborhood where the homes don't go up for sale that often. As a result I didn't buy any candy this year considering that I passed out two candy bars last year. There didn't seem to be much of a point to it. So I'm thinking the pickings would be pretty slim here compared to a new subdivision.

I suppose I'll resume when the next generation births out some kids. There are a number of homes here now where the adult post college kids have moved back in with the parents so it should only be a matter of time.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:04 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
As long as you are respectful and in costume I don't see a problem with kids being from other neighborhoods. Some of you are so darn bitter. what next, interrogation. and photo ID's to prove you are from the neighborhood?
I can't speak for others, but I know every family on my street, and most others nearby I've at least seen around. We have a very active and involved community, a pool and playground on my street, etc. It's not hard to spot people from elsewhere...even when they aren't dropped off in their jalopy in front of my house.

But we solved the problem this year by leaving the lights off. We can't participate for personal reasons, but even looking through my window I see people who don't live here. It may be scroogy and bitter, but I don't like it. Seems like those kids are typically the rudest as well.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:15 PM

445 posts, read 1,166,461 times
I might be the only poster that feels this way, but I don't mind the 15 year-olds with no costumes. Teen years are awkward times and I think kids still want to be kids, but it's not cool. As long as they are polite, I don't mind. I usually look at them and say something like " wow- that's a scary costume - a teenager!!_ and we both laugh.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinajean View Post
I might be the only poster that feels this way, but I don't mind the 15 year-olds with no costumes. Teen years are awkward times and I think kids still want to be kids, but it's not cool. As long as they are polite, I don't mind. I usually look at them and say something like " wow- that's a scary costume - a teenager!!_ and we both laugh.
You are NOT the only one

I so agree with you, and love your comment to them!

Old 10-31-2012, 07:47 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,450,753 times
One thing that stood out this year is kids today aren't raised to be polite. Well, I shouldn't generalize but that is how I felt tonight giving out candy. Hardly any of them said Thank You. Lucky to hear even Happy Halloween or Trick or Treat. We allow kids to choose what they want and some tried to grab more than we were giving out. We had even some that demanded "We Want Candy". We had others asking for candy we didn't even have. If next year is like this, we might shut up shop for good.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:05 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,064 times
Last year I ran out of candy & had to turn out the light before they were all finished. This year I stocked up on tons of candy and barely had any trick-or-treaters. I have probably five pounds left...the good stuff like Reeces, Snickers, Gobstoppers, Runts. What am I to do with all of this candy? It will take months to eat it all myself, and I don't even like candy that much. Was the weather too cold for them this year?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,852 times
I didn't have as many kids this year as last. I did give away all the good stuff first so all I am left with are Smarties and pretzel M&M's.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:06 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
I had more kids come around this year than in previous ones. Last year was completely dead.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:17 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
One thing that stood out this year is kids today aren't raised to be polite. Well, I shouldn't generalize but that is how I felt tonight giving out candy. Hardly any of them said Thank You. Lucky to hear even Happy Halloween or Trick or Treat. We allow kids to choose what they want and some tried to grab more than we were giving out. We had even some that demanded "We Want Candy". We had others asking for candy we didn't even have. If next year is like this, we might shut up shop for good.
That's funny because we had a lot of kids come up stone cold silent for the loot. i would have to ask if they have anything to say in order to get a Thank you, or a trick or treat out of them. Some of them were little, and I think a little shy about saying anything though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte