Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 07:31 AM

536 posts, read 1,693,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Berry View Post
Of course we get paid, and yes, it is a % of the sales price, and it is very clear on the HUD. Now, you tell me hoe it is advantageous to a buyer coming to the table without an agent, do you give a credit, What? you don't? But I thought that was "built in" to the price. So basically the builders are saying we have already paid for you to have representation per the commission being built into the sales price, but since you decided that you wanted to go this process alone, we will just keep that to increase our bottom line!! This is exactly why a buyer should use a buyers agent, you are certainly not going to take that % off for them by not having one.
I agree 100%!

Don't even get me started on Zillow.com. Charlottean is right on the money, real estate is Local!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 11:29 AM

245 posts, read 267,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
Zillow is a good tool for many things. However, the info is based on public tax records and cannot be considered a true market value.

Example being: Three homes sell for $200K in the last 6 months all the same floorplan, features, etc.. Another similiar home in the same neighborhood starts to go into foreclosure and someone purchases it at the courthouse for $150K. That house would be figured into Zillow's database and bring down the represented value.

This is just one example of why it simply is not very accurate.
Exactly... Pull up the numbers around Randolph Rd. You get crazy numbers there for sure.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:10 AM

158 posts, read 466,308 times
Unhappy Premium Lots Bogus?

Hi there~
I recently visited Union County and my husband and I have decided on the community Prescot. (Evergreen Builders) We are paying $4,000 for a premium wooded lot. Is there something I need/should know about NOT paying this? By the way does anyone have any information on Evergreen Builders? We loved all the additional upgrades we recieved from them in a
$20k incentive giveaway.
Let me know as soon as you can. We are signing tomorrow and paying cash for the home. (Of course not all the cash tomorrow - closing in April) See details below...

4 Bedroom
4 Bath
Bonus room
3100 square feet
2 car garage

Thanks for the immediate response!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:26 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisquato View Post
Hi there~
I recently visited Union County and my husband and I have decided on the community Prescot. (Evergreen Builders) We are paying $4,000 for a premium wooded lot. Is there something I need/should know about NOT paying this? By the way does anyone have any information on Evergreen Builders? We loved all the additional upgrades we recieved from them in a
$20k incentive giveaway.
Let me know as soon as you can. We are signing tomorrow and paying cash for the home. (Of course not all the cash tomorrow - closing in April) See details below...

4 Bedroom
4 Bath
Bonus room
3100 square feet
2 car garage

No matter what they tell you, builders do not pay anymore for "premium" land than any other lots, so the 4K that they are charging you is 100% profit to them.

How good of a negotiator you are and how desperate they are to sell that lot will depend on how much of a "lot premium" you pay.

Good luck!

Old 08-27-2007, 12:03 PM

153 posts, read 468,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisquato View Post
Hi there~
$20k incentive giveaway.

4 Bedroom
4 Bath
Bonus room
3100 square feet
2 car garage

I would not pay it, Coupon Jack is right on the money, that piece of land did not cost them anymore thatn any other parcel in the development, it is pure profit to the builder.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-15-2007 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: soliciting

Old 08-27-2007, 12:15 PM

32 posts, read 112,970 times
Quote:
I would not pay it, I would be happy to help you if you would like me to? Coupon Jack is right on the money, that piece of land did not cost them anymore thatn any other parcel in the development, it is pure profit to the builder.
I just bought a home in Union County and used a buyers agent. That is the first money that comes off. Ours had a $5,000 lot premium. Our buyers agent had that taken off before we even walked back in the door of the sales agents office. Do not pay a lot premium. However, I will be honest. In some cases it can still be a supply and demand. If you are picking a sub division that is kind of filling up, then there could be a chance that someone else will pay that premium. So it also depends on what kind of situation the builder was in. We bought in a nice community that is coming to the end of building and we took the biggest lot they had left and still didn't pay the premium.

I highly recommend having a buyers agent. Plus for people like me who are moving down from NY and are 600+ miles away, it is nice to have someone close by that can check up on things for you along the way.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,633 times
Be sure and hire a good home inspector. Despite my home being brand new, my home inspector Charlotte Home Inspection Inspector Paul Mold Inspection found serious structural and mechanical issues. The builder had to hire a professional engineer to fix the structural issues Inspector Paul found.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:21 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
Quote:
You can spin this anyway you would like. In the end, there is not a discount for not having a buyers agent.
Totally wrong. I negotiated out the buyer's agent commision. (And additional money off the price. And additional options. All without a buyer's agent.)

I do my homework. I know the builder's costs. I know the market. I stand up for myself. If you are willing to do that, you don't need a buyer's agent. Buyer's agents are great for people who don't do their own homework. This isn't the first home I've had a home built, so I know what to look for. I know how to read contracts. I know the law. I know good attorneys (just in case.) I'm not worried.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:23 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
Zillow is a good tool for many things. However, the info is based on public tax records and cannot be considered a true market value.

Example being: Three homes sell for $200K in the last 6 months all the same floorplan, features, etc.. Another similiar home in the same neighborhood starts to go into foreclosure and someone purchases it at the courthouse for $150K. That house would be figured into Zillow's database and bring down the represented value.

This is just one example of why it simply is not very accurate.
Realtors are not always the best source of valuation either. I interviewed 3 realtors when I sold my last home. The range in suggested asking price was over 10%. That is way too much variation for "professionals."

Old 11-12-2007, 03:29 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,769,088 times
Where in the world did this come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: