Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:11 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Thanks a ton.

I have absolutely no hate for this area and don't have a single regret living here. But man...I remember going up for a five night stay back in August. About halfway through my first full day, somewhere between the Tropicana and Caesars on the boardwalk, I fell lock step back in line with the northeast vibe and lifestyle (with the exception of the driving...holy crap was I getting smoked on the Garden State Parkway).

What's funny is that enough changed back home in those five years to warrant exploring old haunts to see what's new, but still with enough familiarity to say, "yep...just as I remembered".
I feel exactly the same way..no regrets,,it was not a bad experience but its time to go back. I do not belong here..it was never home. We are just stretching it through to spring more for daycare for my son than anything. Hey off the record, I am not looking forward to the expenses up there though..thats why we moved and although housing has gotten better, taxes and housing combinedis still killer. Still its the better of two evils for me. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 08:21 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Thanks a ton.

I have absolutely no hate for this area and don't have a single regret living here. But man...I remember going up for a five night stay back in August. About halfway through my first full day, somewhere between the Tropicana and Caesars on the boardwalk, I fell lock step back in line with the northeast vibe and lifestyle (with the exception of the driving...holy crap was I getting smoked on the Garden State Parkway).

What's funny is that enough changed back home in those five years to warrant exploring old haunts to see what's new, but still with enough familiarity to say, "yep...just as I remembered".
Hey Brian, just want to wish you well on your move back to NJ. I can relate to feeling about returning to a former area and I'm happy for your excitement.

In our case, we too have no regrets or ill feelings towards this area (but we also have no desire to ever move back to our native Jersey Shore). BUT, if someone offered us a package to relocate back to Carroll County, MD..... you'd see my tire tracks smoking (like on the Roadrunner cartoon ) heading back there. For some reason, that area just clicks for us.

Best of luck to you!

Old 10-30-2011, 04:50 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
I feel the same way, Brian. But, I just can't take the cold....that Norwegian gene just bypassed me...

Old 10-30-2011, 05:12 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Thanks guys. I was built more for colder weather than hot, anyway. At least back north I can dress in layers and get somewhat comfortable. The summers around here get brutal and there isn't a thing you can do about it if you're outdoors.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:03 PM

68 posts, read 225,802 times
I am headed west, Arizona. Started life in Maine but after 22 years in the south, I don't think I could go back to the cold.

Charlotte is not for everyone, This has never been home to me. Someone earlier talked about a city's "vibe". It's very very different here from up North especially, and anywhere else I have been for that matter. Charlotte, as a city, has an identity crisis I think. Not much appreciation for local history here. Not many historical buildings at all. Charlotte's goal is to be very modern which translates as somewhat sterile. Just my $.02. Some folks love it here.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:06 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
Four years and five months, I love it here!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:57 AM

763 posts, read 821,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejumpsuitman View Post
I am headed west, Arizona. Started life in Maine but after 22 years in the south, I don't think I could go back to the cold.

Charlotte is not for everyone, This has never been home to me. Someone earlier talked about a city's "vibe". It's very very different here from up North especially, and anywhere else I have been for that matter. Charlotte, as a city, has an identity crisis I think. Not much appreciation for local history here. Not many historical buildings at all. Charlotte's goal is to be very modern which translates as somewhat sterile. Just my $.02. Some folks love it here.
Could the "vibe" be different because the local base in Charlotte is so small since most of the inhabitants come from other states? When you go to a bar on football day, you will likely see more Boston, Pittsburgh, or New York fans than local fans. Nevertheless, many of my friends are local and they have plenty of "vibe." We enjoy what the city has to offer and have a broad knowledge of most other places nationally and internationally. The only city with great "vibe" that I have experienced is NYC.

Could the lack of local history seem to be scarce since Charlotte is such a new city in respect to population? When Charleston, S.C. was one of the top cities in the U.S. and a huge seaport, Charlotte had a population Mint Hill. Charlotte was an Indian Trade post. When our oldest skyscraper was built in 1927, you can't really expect the city to be like Boston.

Our local inner-city history is limited to the areas with the most population during the turn of the 20th century. That would include 4th Ward which has been reserved and Dilworth, which is much in tact. There wasn't muc here during the Civil War and reconstruction followint the was kept the area from booming like our northern counterparts.

To say the Charlotte doesn't appreciate history isn't very intelligent generalization. Everyone I know is educated and very much into history here and every place else. Exploration of history can be found in Lincoln County, Kings Mountain, Davidson, Brattonville, Charlotte history museum, Reed's gold mine, and numerous surrounding areas. The Charlotte area was as instrumental to the Revolutionary War as Lexington or Concord. There are numerous historic and building scattered on the outskirts of the city.

I find that most people that come to the area assume that there isn't a history, but that is because most don't look. We aren't as old as Boston or Philadelphia, but Charleston is. If Charlotte was big 250 years ago, we would have more large buildings for you to explore. You likely won't find many mummies around here.

Charlotte is one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. Just because modern buildings pop up all over the place doesn't mean that historic architectural masterpieces was replaced.

Just my two cents worth as well. Maybe you could add to the "vibe". I spend lots of time in the Northeast. I see noticable vibe in NYC, but that is likely the most exciting city in the world. I can't say I have been overwhelmed but the vibe in any other American city except maybe Las Vegas.

I am not arguing that Charlotte is a great place or anything. I am just pointing out the reasons that if our historical hotspots are not up to snuff with places like Philadelphia or Charleston. I am not offended, just defending what is missed by many that aren't willing to seek local culture.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:10 AM

68 posts, read 225,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
Could the "vibe" be different because the local base in Charlotte is so small since most of the inhabitants come from other states? When you go to a bar on football day, you will likely see more Boston, Pittsburgh, or New York fans than local fans. Nevertheless, many of my friends are local and they have plenty of "vibe." We enjoy what the city has to offer and have a broad knowledge of most other places nationally and internationally. The only city with great "vibe" that I have experienced is NYC.

Could the lack of local history seem to be scarce since Charlotte is such a new city in respect to population? When Charleston, S.C. was one of the top cities in the U.S. and a huge seaport, Charlotte had a population Mint Hill. Charlotte was an Indian Trade post. When our oldest skyscraper was built in 1927, you can't really expect the city to be like Boston.

Our local inner-city history is limited to the areas with the most population during the turn of the 20th century. That would include 4th Ward which has been reserved and Dilworth, which is much in tact. There wasn't muc here during the Civil War and reconstruction followint the was kept the area from booming like our northern counterparts.

To say the Charlotte doesn't appreciate history isn't very intelligent generalization. Everyone I know is educated and very much into history here and every place else. Exploration of history can be found in Lincoln County, Kings Mountain, Davidson, Brattonville, Charlotte history museum, Reed's gold mine, and numerous surrounding areas. The Charlotte area was as instrumental to the Revolutionary War as Lexington or Concord. There are numerous historic and building scattered on the outskirts of the city.

I find that most people that come to the area assume that there isn't a history, but that is because most don't look. We aren't as old as Boston or Philadelphia, but Charleston is. If Charlotte was big 250 years ago, we would have more large buildings for you to explore. You likely won't find many mummies around here.

Charlotte is one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. Just because modern buildings pop up all over the place doesn't mean that historic architectural masterpieces was replaced.

Just my two cents worth as well. Maybe you could add to the "vibe". I spend lots of time in the Northeast. I see noticable vibe in NYC, but that is likely the most exciting city in the world. I can't say I have been overwhelmed but the vibe in any other American city except maybe Las Vegas.

I am not arguing that Charlotte is a great place or anything. I am just pointing out the reasons that if our historical hotspots are not up to snuff with places like Philadelphia or Charleston. I am not offended, just defending what is missed by many that aren't willing to seek local culture.
You have a lot of valid points, and I was not trying to make an absolute judgement on Charlotte, just giving my opinion and impressions. Concerning "vibe", I wasn't saying there was no vibe, just that it was very different. Perhaps I am more referring to the interpersonal culture. Yes, there are people from everywhere, but when you have such a melting pot in such a small geographical area, it is at the expense of an area's naturally occurring or existing personality. If anybody is looking forward to moving to a city with "Southern Charm", Charlotte is NOT the place... Try Montgomery, AL for a more "Southern" feel.

As far as history, I should have been more clear on what I was thinking about when I wrote that. I meant more modern history as I have been to a lot of places where that period has been preserved, adding character. A LOT of early-mid century buildings have been sacrificed for progress... There is much more appreciation of all things "Americana" elsewhere, especially out west.

Charlotte is very modern and white collar and seems to be moving to a more European feel, not the place for a cowboy.

Marc

Last edited by Thejumpsuitman; 10-31-2011 at 09:44 AM..

Old 11-01-2011, 04:56 PM

149 posts, read 275,312 times
Quote:
Five years for us this Wednesday, but heading back to New Jersey for good tomorrow morning. Couldn't be more excited.
Oh, how sweet it is going back )) Safe trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte