Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:06 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I think neighborhoods including apartment complexes seem to have kids around the same age in a cluster at least. Families at the same stage of development tend to look for others like themselves. This can also be about money where at certain points of our lives we live in apartments then starter homes etc.

Kids also develop at different rates and it can be hard to judge 9th graders for instance who can be 4' 7" or 6'.

If that was an elementary school bus it covered 6 years worth of kids. Something else to consider.
all the kids were around 4 ft tall. Had to be 1st and second graders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:12 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Well it turns into a property issue. But, in general, screw PC
Yes, I understand the whole privately owned internet forum thing.
The trouble comes when discussing this type of issue while being a privately owned PUBLIC forum....(kind of an oxymoron if you ask me)

Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 AM

763 posts, read 822,098 times
I am seeing multi families move into single units close to my house. In my neighborhood there are a few houses with at least four families living in them. Most of the families come from places where birth control is taboo. One unit on my street is full of people from all over the world (at least a dozen guys) that work in local restaurants in a house purchased by the owner for housing all of his employees and having complete control over them. People are buying at a very cheap rate and using units for their families or workers and living in a way that is normal in third world countries but more lavishly.

What concerns me with people from third many third world countries is their lack of knowledge of sewer and septic systems and fire hazards exist. When a housing unit is crammed with occupants from poor countries that are jammed into a house or apartment, the occupants and neighbors (in appartments) should be prepared for issues.

I am not saying these things as a result of racism or anything hateful, just experience When I lived in Florida, the city council established a law that limited the number of occupants in a dwelling. It was based on a number of people vs bathrooms and living space. This was helpful. I approached the mayor of my hometown here, and it is an issue that is being looked into for a resolution.

The negatives about these situations is that generally, these occupants drive crappy, old junkers, do nothing to maintain or enhanse the appearance of their yards/properties, like to hang towells (various colors) as curtains, and hang their wet clothes on the deck or porch railings. Being crammed into these conditions does not really allow these people to have a chance to assimilate. The ones that I have spoken too are generally very nice and quiet but health and safety are concerns with overcrowding.

Yes Kayak, I would trade these overcrowded occupants for homosexuals. Most gays are good housekeepers.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:15 AM

972 posts, read 2,443,801 times
A few points -

1. Most families like to live near other families, just like singles look for complexes with mostly singles.

2. It is common for families with elementary age kids to have two or three in a school at the same time.

3. Just on the streets for my kids school bus stop, there are 40 houses and over 60 school age kids. There are no multi-families situations. This is an upper middle class neighborhood. Several families have 4 or 5 kids, due to second marrages.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,162,160 times
I'm very disappointed in this thread...

I thought this is a conspiracy theory thread....

Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,446 times
Well I guess its a fact that low income families have more kids (anyone watch the movie Idiocracy?). So it does not surprise me that you will find more kids on average in an apartment complex compared to single family homes in a nice neighborhood.

Didn't North Carolina already try population control and that didn't really work out too well:

Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,762 times
I'm doing my part by not having any kids.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:05 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
I'm doing my part by not having any kids.
I don't have any as well...

but I'm working hard to change that.

funny/sad story:
I'm at a sports bar and the discussion at the table was about sexual education and how fast kids are growing up nowadays and the pressure kids put on each other to have sex. Long story short... the waitress steps in and tells a story about her friends trying to pressure her to have sex and she pretty much bragged about all her friends having kids "older" than hers. She just turned 18.

These kids are having kids and women are becoming grandparents in their 30's.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:19 PM

763 posts, read 822,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
A few points -

Several families have 4 or 5 kids, due to second marrages.
Or being from some other country where it is the norm to have at least that many.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:42 PM

972 posts, read 2,443,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
Or being from some other country where it is the norm to have at least that many.
Please re-read my post. I was referring specifically to the families on my street. It just so happens that the families here from another county actually have just one or 2 kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte