Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 PM

123 posts, read 217,904 times

Advertisements

Mike - Don't have any suggestions for a swim area, but felt very sad when I read this thread. I lost my dog last July and had one I lost to cancer at age seven. Enjoy what time you have left with him and spoil him. They are our best friends and I just wanted to let you know others feel for you now and know how hard of a time this is for you. I pray when the time comes, you will be there with your dog and he will leave this world knowing how much he was loved. God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
I really appreciate all the kind replies of suggestions and prayers.

I did take Jake to several locations for nice swims. We BOTH had a great time!

Just to update Jake;

As expected, the Prednisone eventually did not work anymore. The Lymph Nodes in his neck grew very large. Jake was getting to a point where life was sucking for him. His breathing got more difficult and developed more lumps on his shoulder and in his chest, which meant the Cancer was spreading rapidly.

We had already made arrangements with a company called Lap of Love, which is a Veterinarian service for in-home Euthanasia. So, we made the appt with the vet to come on Tuesday 2/14. Sunday night 2/12, is when he took a turn for the worse. Monday morning 2/13, it was very obvious by the look in his eyes that he had enough of this SOB Cancer. We could not wait until Tuesday, we rushed him to our vet and he was put to sleep on Monday at 12:50pm.

What can I say? If you are a dog or other animal lover, you'd understand how heart wrenching this was. It's taken years off my life. I only had one other dog and she was put to sleep from a brain disease, that was in 1998. She was 13 years old. When she got sick, she went downhill extremely fast. From being diagnosed to euthanized, it was three days.

Not to make that dogs(Sheba) death less important, but this time around was extremely difficult. I think maybe I felt more connected to Jake and that he was only eight years old. Also, although I'm appreciative of the fact that I got to spend an extra two weeks or so with him, it seemed like the longest two weeks of my life. Just knowing the end was near and I'd never see him again.

On a happy note, we did have a great two weeks of absolute happiness. Every single day, we went somewhere he liked. To the dog park, to the lakes for some swimming. We walked through Col. Francis Beatty Park and, of coarse he went for a swim. He even made a friend in the form of a white horse. Not sure if anyone has seen this horse, it's at the entrance to the park, on private land?

We made him breakfast every morning of bacon, eggs, sausages and buttered toast. For dinner, we cooked beef steaks, ham steaks and potatoes. He LOVED pizza and bagels, so he got his fill of both. Every night he got desert of ice cream and milk. He even got the forbidden treat for dogs, CHOCOLATE. He lived like a king for the rest of his life, which is the way it should be, for everyone.

Anyway, the house is not the same, but Jake is at rest.

Thanks again for the help of where to take him for water access, it was right on the money!

Old 02-15-2012, 12:05 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times

And, Jake saying thank you to all who posted in this thread;

Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
I really appreciate all the kind replies of suggestions and prayers.

I did take Jake to several locations for nice swims. We BOTH had a great time!

Just to update Jake;

As expected, the Prednisone eventually did not work anymore. The Lymph Nodes in his neck grew very large. Jake was getting to a point where life was sucking for him. His breathing got more difficult and developed more lumps on his shoulder and in his chest, which meant the Cancer was spreading rapidly.

We had already made arrangements with a company called Lap of Love, which is a Veterinarian service for in-home Euthanasia. So, we made the appt with the vet to come on Tuesday 2/14. Sunday night 2/12, is when he took a turn for the worse. Monday morning 2/13, it was very obvious by the look in his eyes that he had enough of this SOB Cancer. We could not wait until Tuesday, we rushed him to our vet and he was put to sleep on Monday at 12:50pm.

What can I say? If you are a dog or other animal lover, you'd understand how heart wrenching this was. It's taken years off my life. I only had one other dog and she was put to sleep from a brain disease, that was in 1998. She was 13 years old. When she got sick, she went downhill extremely fast. From being diagnosed to euthanized, it was three days.

Not to make that dogs(Sheba) death less important, but this time around was extremely difficult. I think maybe I felt more connected to Jake and that he was only eight years old. Also, although I'm appreciative of the fact that I got to spend an extra two weeks or so with him, it seemed like the longest two weeks of my life. Just knowing the end was near and I'd never see him again.

On a happy note, we did have a great two weeks of absolute happiness. Every single day, we went somewhere he liked. To the dog park, to the lakes for some swimming. We walked through Col. Francis Beatty Park and, of coarse he went for a swim. He even made a friend in the form of a white horse. Not sure if anyone has seen this horse, it's at the entrance to the park, on private land?

We made him breakfast every morning of bacon, eggs, sausages and buttered toast. For dinner, we cooked beef steaks, ham steaks and potatoes. He LOVED pizza and bagels, so he got his fill of both. Every night he got desert of ice cream and milk. He even got the forbidden treat for dogs, CHOCOLATE. He lived like a king for the rest of his life, which is the way it should be, for everyone.

Anyway, the house is not the same, but Jake is at rest.

Thanks again for the help of where to take him for water access, it was right on the money!

My sincere condolences Mike.

Jake was a fantastic dog!

My heart hurts for you

Old 02-15-2012, 11:45 AM

537 posts, read 1,767,616 times
as Loves says, "My heart hurts for you" mine does too. 8 is much too young.
{{hugs}}

Old 02-15-2012, 02:58 PM

972 posts, read 2,442,919 times
I am so sorry! Its never easy to loose a pet, but as you said - these circumstances make it even harder.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:13 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
What a handsome dog to the end! So sorry for his untimely demise.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,142,116 times
Such a beautiful dog! I'm so sorry for your loss. I love that you spoiled him so well those last couple weeks.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:11 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
What a wonderful Dad you were to Jake. I know your pain. I had to have my sweet yellow lab put to sleep in August and I still miss her everyday.
Jake was lucky to have you - sending you hugs.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:03 PM

488 posts, read 798,535 times
I am so sorry for your loss. You can tell Jake was VERY loved and more importantly HE knew it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte