Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 06:22 AM

5 posts, read 24,795 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Charlotte and deciding what area of town to live that is desirable, good re-sale and reasonable commute time to work. What is the best commute route to take from the Matthews, NC area to
Statesline Road off of I77 Exit 16 north of Charlotte. I have been told
that sticking to I77 then 485 will take between 40-50 minutes per day and
wanted to know if there is a better route to take.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2006, 09:42 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert C View Post
We will be moving to Charlotte and deciding what area of town to live that is desirable, good re-sale and reasonable commute time to work. What is the best commute route to take from the Matthews, NC area to
Statesline Road off of I77 Exit 16 north of Charlotte. I have been told
that sticking to I77 then 485 will take between 40-50 minutes per day and
wanted to know if there is a better route to take.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Exit 16 on I77 is Sunset Road which will take you to Statesville Rd. I would not go that way at all. You will be much better off to avoid the interstates when possible at drive time. I believe your shortest route would be to take Independence Blvd.(Hwy 74) straight up towards uptown (yes it is crowded, but with 3 lanes it moves). Then at the entrance to uptown veer right onto the John Belk freeway (I277). Almost a minute later you would take exit 4 onto Graham St. In about 2 blocks you would then turn left onto Stateville Rd. How far up Stateville Road will you be working? To use I85 and I485 will double your milage and gas costs.

Are you dead set on Matthews? You might have alot less aggravation if you just lived in Huntersville. I tell everyone, the best thing to do in Charlotte is live on the side of town you work on.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:28 AM

348 posts, read 430,431 times
Going from Matthews to Statesville will be horrendous in a morning/eve commute!

My hubby goes to Huntersville each day and Statesville is further north. If you gotta work in Statesville, why don't you live in Moorseville or Huntersville or the like? Give yourself a break!

Old 09-20-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaf View Post
Going from Matthews to Statesville will be horrendous in a morning/eve commute!

My hubby goes to Huntersville each day and Statesville is further north. If you gotta work in Statesville, why don't you live in Moorseville or Huntersville or the like? Give yourself a break!

From the poster's question I took it that he will be working on Statesville Rd near exit 16 (Sunset Rd) - not that he will be working in Statesville. But I too encouraged him to think about living north rather than Matthews with that kind of commute.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:47 AM

LovesMountains,

Thanks for the alternative routes. How long do you think the commute time will be in the afternoon? My workday starts at 7:00 a.m., so I will leave the house around 6:20 a.m. every morning. I assume it won't take as long that time of day.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
LovesMountains,

Thanks for the alternative routes. How long do you think the commute time will be in the afternoon? My workday starts at 7:00 a.m., so I will leave the house around 6:20 a.m. every morning. I assume it won't take as long that time of day.
Hi Robert, you will be better off for having to be at work by 7:00. For every minute you are on the road after 7:00 the traffic just piles up. In the afternoon I would suggest you do the same route I gave you in reverse - though you could jump on to I77 south to connect back onto the John Belk Freeway at exit 11 and then pick up Independence Blvd (avoids the two lane Statesville Rd) because in that little section you would be going against the traffic. Independence Blvd doesn't start to get really bad until right around 4:30. Can you tell me general location in Matthews that you will be in? I may have a few short cuts I could share

Old 09-20-2006, 04:59 PM

lovesMountains,

The office is located on Stateville Road between exit 16 and exit 18. We are looking at a subdivision that is about 1-1/2 miles from Siskey YMCA. The subdivision is off Antioch Church Road. I will probably be leaving the office most afternoons around 5:20-5:30 p.m. What do you think the approximate commute time would be? I don't mind being in the car 40-45 minutes each day, but probably not an hour. Any shortcuts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:30 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,836,150 times
if your leaving around 5ish it may be hard for the commute home not to be in the car close to an hour.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
lovesMountains,

The office is located on Stateville Road between exit 16 and exit 18. We are looking at a subdivision that is about 1-1/2 miles from Siskey YMCA. The subdivision is off Antioch Church Road. I will probably be leaving the office most afternoons around 5:20-5:30 p.m. What do you think the approximate commute time would be? I don't mind being in the car 40-45 minutes each day, but probably not an hour. Any shortcuts would be greatly appreciated.
Robert, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't see your commute being less than an hour with where your chosen neighborhood is. I know it is beautiful out there off Weddington Road, but is it too late for you to househunt in Huntersville? You really could have a much better commute from there (less than 30 minutes). The problem is just how many people will be trying to go out that way at the same time as you on those little two lane roads. Traffic really backs up out there. You will probably have to just experiment when you first start commuting just to see what works best for you if you decide the house and neighborhood are worth it.

Whatever you do don't plan on using Tilley Morris or Weddington Rd into Matthews as your route out in the morning. Your best bet will probably be Weddington Rd up to McKee, take a right on McKee. Next take right on Pleasant Plains, a left on Potter Rd. At the next light take a left onto Monroe Rd. In about 2 miles you can enter I485 on your right. From there you can exit onto Independence Blvd toward uptown. At the time of morning you will be going I'm guess 40-45 minutes to get to work. The evening commute will be the problem.

You could try going up 485 to the University area and getting on hwy 49 west. You would take that till it splits off with hwy 29 and meets I85. Get on I85 south to I77. This would put you taking I77 N up about 3 miles to your exit (16). A much longer route by milage, but it may be worth it in time savings because of the time of day you will be leaving work.

Wish I had better news for you, but I'm thinking you better budget an hour to get home

Old 09-20-2006, 08:21 PM

348 posts, read 430,431 times
"but is it too late for you to househunt in Huntersville? You really could have a much better commute from there (less than 30 minutes). "

Hey, wait a minute! Didn't I tell him waaaaay back in the thread that he'd be better off miving to Huntersville or Moorseville?! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte