Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:47 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
for chicagocubs:

there are also:

bridge clubs
bingo
volunteer opportunities GALORE
art class
YMCAs
crowders mountain
aquatic center
yoga
coffee shops
thrift stores/secondhand stores/consignment stores
paintball
professional sports game (at many levels)
Bojangles Coliseum
Winghaven Gardens
rec sports leagues
Wednesday night fellowship
general stores

but ultimately, you are responsible for your own happiness. As my good friend Andy Dufresne said: "Get busy living, or get busy dying".
Good point. I believe that someone we know is on the second option.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reputation.

And yes I did. Many people are entertained by shopping. Furthermore, I had the courage to put my NAME on it. Which is more than I can say for your cowardly jabs. Good luck with puberty.
I am with you on this. When my friends and relatives from Europe, all of whom are well off, love to look in Goodwill, Salvation Army, antique shops and other such places for disgarded treasures. They are generally excellent decorators and often find antiques and things that are very useful. "One man's garbage is another man's treasure. "

Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
My point....kind'a similar to our buddy jp03,(whose point was to tell northerners about the heat here) is to let people know that all these activities listed are not REALLY activities. So, when they get here and expect all this stuff to do...they are not disappointed.
Hmm. He moved back to the place where he was happy. And though he can't seem to let CLT go, he did at least take action. If you consider yourself to be in the same situation as him, then obviously, you might want to move too instead of complaining about it. I would never live in a place where I was not happy or thought I was missing out.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:21 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Soooo, for people moving to Charlotte (18th largest city) from the mega-metros of the NE it's a new flash that there is less going on?

Well then, maybe that northern school system isn't all it's cracked up to be. I guess in that case that the information *is* perfectly relevant...

Just for comparison though, what exactly ARE these multitudinous whimsical activities of those areas that are so mysteriously missing from our sleepy village? I'm genuinely curious...
That's funny....don't move to Charlotte expecting Chicago....don't move from San Fran to Chicago expecting San Fran....,etc...dammit, Harvard Law shouldn't have overlooked me!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:30 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
how are all these activities, not REALLY activities?

Old 11-08-2012, 10:55 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
how are all these activities, not REALLY activities?
Evidently, they're called something else in Chicago....plus Charlotte ain't big city enough to have big city activities....barely got a mall....if you want to call southpark a "mall"...the nerve of us claiming we have a real mall.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:21 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
My point....kind'a similar to our buddy jp03,(whose point was to tell northerners about the heat here) is to let people know that all these activities listed are not REALLY activities. So, when they get here and expect all this stuff to do...they are not disappointed.

Personally, I work a full time job, am on the board of directors for two different non-profits, lead a small group in my church, am a part of the leadership in my church, have friends across the area that I meet with regularly. That is not counting litigating my roof issue (at the moment) and trying to keep up a house & yard by myself. I am plenty busy. I would like some more fun activities to do (in the summertime) that did not cost money or could be done on a whim. Unfortunately, they are not plentiful here. My purpose is to let folks know about that because some people think that the same amenities are pretty much available everywhere. Not so much.
Sounds like you need to be living on the beach or in the mountains.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:38 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Evidently, they're called something else in Chicago....plus Charlotte ain't big city enough to have big city activities....barely got a mall....if you want to call southpark a "mall"...the nerve of us claiming we have a real mall.
Actually, Charlotte has four malls. One of the most profitable in the nation.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Hmm. He moved back to the place where he was happy. And though he can't seem to let CLT go, he did at least take action. If you consider yourself to be in the same situation as him, then obviously, you might want to move too instead of complaining about it. I would never live in a place where I was not happy or thought I was missing out.
There is a lady that lives a few houses from me. She is a major *****. She complains about everything and is truly a witch. She is typical of one that spends a lifetime annoying others just because she is unable to find happiness in her myserable world. She is from New York and just had a stroke and decided to move into an assisted living place. My wife called here relatives in N.Y. including her children and absolutel nobody had any desire to come down to see her. I believe that is the reason that some of the habitual whiners don't go back to the place they claim is so great back wherever. They have nobody that can stand them there or anywhere else. It isn't the city or town, it is the myserable lives they live. Whining and bitching compensates for anti-social behavior and various complexes and issues. They have to be nasty. In their minds they think that others look at them as being knowledgable. How pathetic.
I suppose we have to keep compassionate and understand their mysery.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sounds like you need to be living on the beach or in the mountains.
If a person is really interested in keeping busy, she could volunteer at museums, vouluteer as an usher at Blumenthau Performing Arts, volunteer at the USO or in a school and the list goes on. One would really have to be stupid not to find things to keep themselves occupied. Complaining doesn't help. It takes a bit of effort to pull away from the computer.

Some people complain and are myserable wherever they go or whatever they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte