Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:39 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
Here is one option when you see someone litter:

Swat-A-Litterbug

The violator will get sent a letter basically saying that they were seen tossing litter from their car or whatever. It may be deterrent of sorts for the offender, or maybe not if they are habitual litterers and could care less. They will also be sent an ashtray and a small trash bag for their car.
I've seen that before. I don't really see that sending someone a letter that basically says, "Oh, No you littered!" is going to help. Its just a waste of trees, and does nothing to make people want to stop. They know what they are doing, they know its littering. A letter telling them what they already know is doing nothing. Not to mention who really has the time to write down a license plate while driving down the highway?

Also, don't most (if not all) cars have ashtrays? Sending them a second ashtray to have in the car isn't going to help, and neither is a trash bag. They throw it out the window because they don't want it in their car, even though the car most likely already reeks of smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 06:15 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencity92 View Post
So next time you throw your gum our the window we should fine you too. It's not decomposable, so you're contributing to the problem too. (not trying to be a dick, sorry)
I work outside and have to pick up peoples trash all day and you'd be surprised how much people actually throw out and how much of it is cups, napkins, taco bell and cans. I rarely see cigarette butts. But people are gonna do it, the trash problem wont get much better unless there are people watching for people littering and writing tickets. In all the times I've been to the courthouse, I have never seen someone there for a littering ticket.
Anything thrown out of the car or trash thrown into the street should incur a littering fine. But, I've seen cars toss out butts and other stuff right in front of a cop and they did nada.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:27 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Police have more important things to do than fine people for littering...

Old 06-11-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Unless they are on the way to some emergency, no they don't. Laws are there to be enforced and if they were there would be less trash around.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:09 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,985 times
Quote:
"If you want to change big things, you pay attention to small things."
-Rudy Giuliani

Old 06-11-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Unless they are on the way to some emergency, no they don't. Laws are there to be enforced and if they were there would be less trash around.
Won't happen.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
-Rudy Giuliani
How many cigs are in a box? 25, 30?

That's a full time job that would need tons of overtime.

The best way to curb it would be individuals making a big deal out of it when they see it happen.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:

The best way to curb it would be individuals making a big deal out of it when they see it happen.
Yes, so I should start flashing my lights and yelling at someone driving down the road? That's safe.

Understood that there will always be people who get away with littering but if a cop sees it, they should do something about it. Granted, it may happen right in front of them and they still don't notice.

But they don't "have better things to do". If that's the way you feel, I guess there are a whole bunch of laws they shouldn't bother to enforce.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:49 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
As I said before, I don't want LEOs spending all day writing up litterbugs, but a law is a law.

Quote:
Won't happen.
Doesn't mean it shouldn't.

Quote:

Why would it take any more time than we already pay for? It's not a fixed amount of work that needs doing. It's a matter of citing those who break this law, during the course of the LEO's existing work day.

I agree that we should all make an issue of littering when we see it happen. But that's not necessarily practical or safe in some circumstances.

Besides, look at the revenue that could be generated by citing litterbugs, at even $50 a pop!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
-Rudy Giuliani
That's what we learned in the military. If you can't control the little things, you'll never get a handle on the big ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte