Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 PM

15 posts, read 139,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Current employment that shows one can pay the rent without a problem. Pay stubs. Work history beyond recent employment.

Previous landlord reference.

Personally meeting the renter face to face and having a good feeling. No attitude.

Plausable reason why they are changing housing location.

Note: This is a very strong rental market right now.LL's have suffered the past couple of years but now have an op to move forward with little risk. If one has a good apt and the right price it's like selling a Mona Lisa. Easy.
Strong market it makes sense, I havent had much luck getting to the stage where I can even start talking about any references or pay history. I am 100% confident I can pass all of the above tests + credit check and I would prefer to pay 6 months or 1 year upfront cash for a discount and still can't find a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 04:42 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,702,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unc23 View Post
Strong market it makes sense, I havent had much luck getting to the stage where I can even start talking about any references or pay history. I am 100% confident I can pass all of the above tests + credit check and I would prefer to pay 6 months or 1 year upfront cash for a discount and still can't find a place.

Hard to figure out why you're not being able to at least get up at bat. Let me comment on cash upfront:

I did a six month deal up front in another state after a lot of negotiating bc I understood the problem. Apt was for the guarantor's family member who coudn't qualify. Guarantor explained her situation of a foreclosure in her history but was now OK and in a new house. (gave me the details).She had a bad credit record but had house and cash. She volunteered to pay upfront. I took the deal.

Problem with cash for many LL's: They immediately think it's funny money and want no part of it. Or, large company that will not do it for a host of internal problems (in the company). Or, generally, there is NO discount for cash since one is paying cash for a reason and not to be rewarded for the risk involved with the character of the tenant. (ie: money laundering).

If you are confident of credit check why do you disclose the felon record? (Not every LL looks past the credit record).

If you would rather explain in a DM go ahead and I'll give you my opinion for what it's worth. The good and the bad.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:43 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,702,805 times
ETA: One year deal with two payments.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:37 PM

15 posts, read 139,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Hard to figure out why you're not being able to at least get up at bat. Let me comment on cash upfront:

I did a six month deal up front in another state after a lot of negotiating bc I understood the problem. Apt was for the guarantor's family member who coudn't qualify. Guarantor explained her situation of a foreclosure in her history but was now OK and in a new house. (gave me the details).She had a bad credit record but had house and cash. She volunteered to pay upfront. I took the deal.

Problem with cash for many LL's: They immediately think it's funny money and want no part of it. Or, large company that will not do it for a host of internal problems (in the company). Or, generally, there is NO discount for cash since one is paying cash for a reason and not to be rewarded for the risk involved with the character of the tenant. (ie: money laundering).

If you are confident of credit check why do you disclose the felon record? (Not every LL looks past the credit record).

If you would rather explain in a DM go ahead and I'll give you my opinion for what it's worth. The good and the bad.
The only places that I have so far disclosed the crim record to were large companies where an application fee was needed. I wasnt willing to boost their bottom line without finding out about any record check first.

Paying upfront has worked well for me in the past for 2 reasons, I have usually been able to secure a 10% discount and once a 15% for paying one year ahead. Everytime Ive done that it is with a private party and had no problems. My rationale behind this is if I have cash sitting in the bank, even at the best interest rate available 1% or so. If I can pay upfront and get even 5% off, I can guarantee a better return on my cash than any bank I know of.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:41 PM

162 posts, read 228,640 times
We like to pay our bills up front too. Our apartment complex will not accept more than 2 months at a time.

Quote:
The only places that I have so far disclosed the crim record to were large companies where an application fee was needed. I wasnt willing to boost their bottom line without finding out about any record check first.

Paying upfront has worked well for me in the past for 2 reasons, I have usually been able to secure a 10% discount and once a 15% for paying one year ahead. Everytime Ive done that it is with a private party and had no problems. My rationale behind this is if I have cash sitting in the bank, even at the best interest rate available 1% or so. If I can pay upfront and get even 5% off, I can guarantee a better return on my cash than any bank I know of.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:15 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abri07 View Post
We like to pay our bills up front too. Our apartment complex will not accept more than 2 months at a time.
I tried to pay 6 months in advance to Providence Court and they called me in, to get the check back. Their reasoning is if they accept payment; they cannot evict me if I turn out to be a problem tenant. I thought this was unheard of. They too, took only payments for two months of rent. I thought it was ridicolous, but I understand it from their end.

Good luck! There are people and apartments that are willing to rent...felons are living here, so someone is renting to them. Have you tried a guarantor.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:36 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
Quote:
Still finding mostly dead ends and usually not a very high response rate to my inquiries on craigslist. Any other suggestions?
What about looking for someone looking for a room mate, who already has a place?
There are websites and craigslist.
Best of luck!

Old 07-15-2012, 01:52 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
I would contact the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office & see if they can put you in touch with the folks that help released inmates find housing after they've been incarcerated.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:53 AM

2,618 posts, read 3,147,017 times
Browsing around, I live in Durham. Hang in there. I have a friend who is a habitual felon status. He turned his life around but still had a lot of trouble with work and renting. I gave him work when I had it, I am a small contractor. He struggled against a lot of odds. Fortunately, he had a couple of friends able to room him & a few like me with work. He eventually got a job out of town. A church there helped him get an apt across from his work. I think he will qualify for expunction after 5 years clean. I talk to him every 2-3 weeks.

If you have friends around, maybe you could rent a room from 1 of them for a time. Also, some motels will rent rooms by the week. Down side is that they are not usually the nicest motels, you'd need to check that out. Are you part of a church? Is there any kind of halfway house you would qualify for? Any kind of ex offender support group? Some help may come from some of these.

Stay strong. Naturally, many people will distrust you for some time. You will find a few people that will look beyond your current status and want to help you. Naturally, keep your prison record on a "need to know" basis. That is 1 mistake my friend used to make. He would meet new people & soon in conversation would tell about prison. That scared some people off. I told him to let people see the best of him, the person he is now & let that be their main impression; that later on, his record would be less important to them.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,154 times
I need help paying rent i need 4 hunder dollars i helpa buddy out and he stold my rent money i have 5 kids and i need help my phone number is 5743006484 u can give the money to my land lotd please help or call me and tell me someone that could help me and my family thank u have a nice day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte