Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:10 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct36 View Post
Haha, well I love malls. When bashing comes around, I can get pretty in-depth about anything.
U just can't stand to see anyone talk about the malls u like. If someone is bashing a mall u don't like u join in .. #fact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagrown View Post
You're completely wrong. Unlike the entire state of Georgia, North Carolina isn't ran by just one city. There's other malls throughout the state that have stores SouthPark doesn't. Lenox and Phipps are both smaller than SouthPark and adding the sales per square foot from both malls isn't fair, therefore "Those 2 malls produce over 1 billion in sales" is not true. If another mall was located across the street from SouthPark, I can understand where you're coming from. Where's your proof that Lenox or Phipps have added more stores within a year, than SouthPark in 4 to 5 years? " Charlotte South park doesn't even offer decent men's stores like Hugo boss or Zegna." 7 for all Mankind, A&F, Aeropostale, American Apparel, Banana Republic, Body Central, Express MEN, GAP, Guess, Hermes, Hollister, J. Crew, Lacoste, lululemon, Men's Wearhouse/Tux, Nieman Marcus, Paul Simon and Tommy Bahama are all considered "men's stores" and they're all nice. Half of the upscale stores (ex: Prada, Fendi) can barely be supported by the "think-they're-rich people" in Atlanta. I'd rather a mall add more stores over time, than trying to add every store possible to up it's image and can't even b supported. If you would stop rushing into your comeback and take the time to read and understand comments, you'd know that I said I KNEW PEOPLE, not the entire population of Georgia that have drove (not an everyday thing) to SouthPark to shop. The reason of this is, Lenox and Phipps aren't as nice as SouthPark and SouthPark feels safer. The number of upscale stores Lenox/Phipps has vs. how many Charlotte has, makes no sense at all. Also, can you please tell me how SouthPark isn't adding luxury stores? All three of the malls are considered upscale and are all owned by the same company, so why does it matter which mall has more upscale stores anyways?
I can name all them that have have been added at Lenox and Phipps than at south park in the last 4 to 5 years. That tiny neimans in Charlotte with that tiny men's section doesn't offer the quantity. Our nordstroms is getting to Topshop brand can Charlotte say the same.No. The stores u name for.men every city has those almost I'm talking about upscale men's stores. I could never shop in south because it doesn't offer a thing I like. No Zara no Diesal No G-star raw Club Monaco, original Penguin, Adidas Original. Ballys and Vince.
H&M Armani Exchange Bloomingdale's and the list goes on. Lenox and Phipps wipes the floor with Every mall in that state of North Carolina. We can't help that it takes all of your major metros to equal once city

Old 07-25-2012, 06:45 PM

341 posts, read 761,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I can name all them that have have been added at Lenox and Phipps than at south park in the last 4 to 5 years. That tiny neimans in Charlotte with that tiny men's section doesn't offer the quantity. Our nordstroms is getting to Topshop brand can Charlotte say the same.No. The stores u name for.men every city has those almost I'm talking about upscale men's stores. I could never shop in south because it doesn't offer a thing I like. No Zara no Diesal No G-star raw Club Monaco, original Penguin, Adidas Original. Ballys and Vince.
H&M Armani Exchange Bloomingdale's and the list goes on. Lenox and Phipps wipes the floor with Every mall in that state of North Carolina. We can't help that it takes all of your major metros to equal once city
You obviously have never been to SouthPark and we don't want you here. If you aren't going to say anything nice about the mall, then leave. Constructive criticism is fine when needed, but that's not what you are giving.

Who cares about Adidas anyway?

Seriously? Every city has a Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Louis Vuitton? I think not.

haha the funniest thing you posted is that carolinagrown posted 7 For All Mankind as one of the men's stores that SP has, and guess what? Apparently every city has one, but...of all places, ATLANTA. If Atlanta and Lenox/Phipps was so great they could actually keep their stores OPEN. The only reason why they are opening more stores is because THEY ARE LOSING THAT MANY AS WELL. WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET THAT? Without an expansion, it is impossible to open more stores without CLOSING another.

You obviously know nothing about SouthPark so you shouldn't even be allowed to post. Vera Bradley, Body Central, Lily Pulitzer replaced other stores, NOT the Billy Reid and Kenneth Cole stores. Because apparently according to what you are saying Tory Burch must be a "bad" replacement? Then you must think Phipps is a bad mall for having those stores, which they do (except Body Central, but that's no worse than Wet Seal at Lenox).

Most of those stores you listed aren't even that upscale? SouthPark offers nice, classic pieces, with some contemporary mixed in. I'm sorry that SP doesn't have everything you want. They don't have the super trendy stuff that is going out of style in months. People in Charlotte like to spend their money on things they will have to buy again a few months later because it is out of style.

Yes, our Neiman's may be small but we can get anything we want from any other NM store. Just ask any salesperson and I am sure they would be happy to assist anyone if they needed that.

Obviously SouthPark offers enough since it makes basically the same amount of money. If Lenox is so great, then why don't they make a lot more?

Lenox/Phipps does not "wipe the floor with every mall in the state of NC". That is just not a correct statement. We have many upscale and luxury stores at SouthPark, and many middle class stores as well. As does Lenox. I am starting to think that you have never even been to Lenox, either. You are just looking at a store directory and decide that there are more stores you like. Lenox isn't that great.

It is just ridiculous that you would even think that SouthPark would have all the stores Lenox and Phipps has? Basically what you are doing to Charlotte and SouthPark is the same as what someone from NY could say about Atlanta. Lenox and Phipps have little amounts of upscale stores when compared to Fifth Avenue, Soho, and Madison Avenue shopping. What are you going to say about that? Probably nothing, because it is true.

People from Atlanta need to get over this "Everything is better in Atlanta" attitude because they couldn't be more wrong. Just look at Buckhead and SouthPark. They are similar but the SouthPark area is much, much nicer. Sandy Springs is even better than Buckhead (but not SouthPark, IMO).

Old 07-25-2012, 06:47 PM

CT36 that's a lie... the stores that closed at Phipps closed all there stores in this country Dallas lost Max Mara and Houston lost Barney's Co op too. This makes room for more desired stores. Stores don't invest in a market they don't believe in.
Why do u think LV was expanded into a global boutique and Prada Fendi were added and Ferragamo was expanded. Why was Niemans expand. All this because of demand. Not to make the mall look cute. Most of the stores in Phipps have been around for decades same with Lenox. So don't act like upscale stores are just being added and boom the close .. Atlanta has always been a strong retail market Always.
Billy Reid just opened in west midtown so no he didn't close all his stores. 3 stores isn't a good bit. Please name more than 5 upscale stores that closed at Phipps
Ill wait .....

Quote:
Completely agree. I am actually sure that Lenox and Phipps have added more stores than SouthPark, but that isn't necessarily a good thing, is it? It is because the stores they have can't be supported, and close. I would rather have a handful of luxury stores that are strong and will stay open. Atlanta just seems to get every possible upscale store and then 25% of the stores will end up closing. SouthPark has only had 3 luxury/upscale store closings, that would be Billy Reid, Bob Ellis (closed all of their stores, if I'm correct), and Intermix, over 2 or 3 years. Lenox/Phipps has about double that every year, hence more store openings. You are absolutely spot on about the upscale stores not being supported. I can't see many of the stores in Lenox closing, but Phipps has lost a pretty good bit. MaxMara, Barneys, Theory come to mind.

As for not having decent men's stores, well guess what, if you like luxury brands, you can go to this awesome store called Neiman Marcus. They have some really nice people there, and I've heard that if you find something you like they don't carry, they will even get it for you from other stores, including your Lenox store.

However, I do think that the department stores being very large and strong contributes many failed boutiques in Atlanta.

SouthPark is definitely the nicer mall overall, and people must seem to agree. Yelp does, it gives SouthPark 4 stars vs. Lenox's 3.5. Both Lenox and SP have pretty ridiculous 1 star reviews, but the 2 star ones are can be partially accurate whereas the 2 star reviews of SP are pretty ridiculous too. Besides, throwing out the ridiculous reviews would benefit SP more.

Safety, Looks, the Parking situation, and the people who are there together are just as important than the variety of stores, with safety obviously being the most important, but neither mall has to worry about that too much.

I doubt you could get the parking lot at Lenox pretty full with only 12 stores open, but that will happen at SouthPark (only that the back parking lot near Dicks was mostly water restoration, police, etc.).

I love Lenox/Phipps, but SouthPark more and I hope both malls do great.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:59 PM

If South park offers such a variety then why are there so many NC tags here on the weekends. I.never said people.don't hangout at Lenox that's with any mall. What's great about adding stores is that u don't have to go anywhere else.to get the merchandise.

Quote:
Again, people taking what I say out of context. I never said that people just go to "hang out" there. But considering that you act like no one hangs out there you obviously have never been around Bloomingdale's or have ever been to the food court.

What's great about adding stores? Adding stores means that some have closed, you should know that with Phipps. Besides, it is ATLANTA, around THREE times the size of Charlotte.

The look of the mall has a lot to do with how people perceive it. If you look at the most successful, upscale malls, most of them are very attractive and have a nice atmosphere. All upscale malls are like that, with the few exceptions of NorthPark (which is attractive in some ways), Lenox Square, and the Glendale Galleria. NorthPark and Lenox are good-just okay in some areas, but the Galleria looks pretty horrible.

C'est tres chic! Oh la la la la!

Would you expect to see a BOSS store or Ermenegildo Zegna in Charlotte? What do you think Charlotte is like? Atlanta? Houston? Any other city around 3 times it's size? If we want menswear, Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus has decent selections.

Lenox's sales per square foot is around $800, but is a smaller mall.
1,545,000*800=$1,236,000,000

SouthPark is "in excess of $700", has been confirmed, however I have heard anywhere from 720-740 thrown around
So, 1,626,000*730=$1,186,980,000
With numbers that big, 49 million is not much. Considering Lenox is in a city 3 times larger and has many tourists (around 35%) you would think that the number would be much, much larger. But it's not.

The reason why people love SouthPark so much is it's range of stores. Phipps has little range, but Lenox has an even larger one, and that isn't very beneficial for them (Like 5 sneaker stores, etc.)

I haven't heard of many people complain about feeling unsafe at SouthPark, but I don't feel as safe in Lenox. There's a reason why the rich people in Atlanta that shop at Prada, LV, Neiman's, etc. go during the week or morning and never venture past Bloomingdale's, and never visit the food court. How many Neiman's bags have you seen in Lenox's food court? Because I haven't seen any when I was there. In fact, I hardly ever even see people with Neiman's bags or anything similar past Fendi or Facconable in the main mall.

I like Lenox, but you people who attack me for liking SouthPark more (even though I have reasons) are the reasons why I end up liking Lenox even less

Hopefully this will put the thread back on topic to SouthPark rather than another one of those Charlotte v. Atlanta threads.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I don't think Bloomingdale's is doing that great in Atlanta either, as they have closed the Perimeter store, leaving only the Lenox location. And Saks was at one time planning to come to Charlotte, but Neiman's ended up in the Southpark slot, and another planned freestanding location ended up just a big old hole in the ground. But I don't shop at those stores, as Belk, Macy's, and Kohl's are more within my budget.
Just the perimeter store wasn't doing great bloomies at Lenox is fine thats why they kept it open.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
CT36 that's a lie... the stores that closed at Phipps closed all there stores in this country Dallas lost Max Mara and Houston lost Barney's Co op too. This makes room for more desired stores. Stores don't invest in a market they don't believe in.
Why do u think LV was expanded into a global boutique and Prada Fendi were added and Ferragamo was expanded. Why was Niemans expand. All this because of demand. Not to make the mall look cute. Most of the stores in Phipps have been around for decades same with Lenox. So don't act like upscale stores are just being added and boom the close .. Atlanta has always been a strong retail market Always.
Billy Reid just opened in west midtown so no he didn't close all his stores. 3 stores isn't a good bit. Please name more than 5 upscale stores that closed at Phipps
Ill wait .....
No, that is not true. MaxMara and Barneys did NOT close all of their stores. Do you think more than 5 stores closing in just a few years isn't bad? Because 5 sounds pretty bad to me. With the exception of the closing of MaxMara and replacing it with Bottega Veneta, nothing at Phipps has been replaced with something as good or better than what closed. You seriously need a reality check. Most people know that Phipps is starting to go down the drain after the closings of MaxMara and Theory, and the rumors of Vince, Valentino, Barney's (which did close), and Versace doing very poorly at the mall, and most importantly with the opening of Legoland. People who shop at Bal Harbour would just laugh at Phipps, but probably not at SouthPark.

You are just ridiculous and delusional. Most people in Atlanta act this way towards Charlotte, and I am tired of it. I doubt I will go back to Lenox or Phipps or even Atlanta for all of you annoying, ridiculous people. Get your heads stuck out of Atlanta's [***] and maybe you will finally see it's not that great. I have a dear friend who lives in Atlanta and is interested in retail at Lenox and Phipps, and even he would think that you are ridiculous.

I have no interest in talking to you because you are just ridiculous. Besides, whenever I say something negative about Lenox you ignore that, because you must agree. Or else you would respond to my whole post rather than just picking out the little pieces to make Charlotte and SP look bad.

As I said before, if you have no constructive criticism of the mall, Charlotte, etc. and are just BASHING the mall and city then please GO AWAY. We are now going to ignore you (hopefully anyone else will). We all know that if we ignore you then you will go away, so consider yourself invisible. Someday, if you finally realize how ridiculous you are being, and decide to apoligize, we wouldn't mind knowing what stores you think the mall should have and what stores should go, etc. I do the same things with Lenox/Phipps but

Old 07-25-2012, 07:13 PM

You are so funny. For a man who doesn't like Lenox and Phipps and dogs it out on every blog site. You sure live at both malls.. plus why did majority of those stores close do u even know why LOL.. Tory Burch is going to expand there location we just added bottega veneta ,Michael kors flagship store offering his runway pieces it replaced Theory. So when some close they are replaced. No Phipps is not South park with a few stores. Your being ridiculous and very sarcastic. I understand u wanna marry southpark mall but u need to stop while your at it.

Quote:
I don't think it is either. It kind of full when I went there, but, like the mall, there were more people "shopping" than actually SHOPPING, lol. That is certainly not the case with Nordstrom or Neiman's in Charlotte.

I just get to where I hate the people in Atlanta (excluding my friend, lol). They act like Charlotte is a tiny little town with farms 2 miles from their "nonexistent" downtown area. I was reading the Charlotte v. Atlanta thread (I know, I shouldn't have, those people are so biased against Charlotte), but those people were just so ignorant about Charlotte it was just stupid. Especially with shopping. They point out the things about Charlotte that are bad but don't about Atlanta. They said things like:
"Southpark lost Intermix, Kenneth Cole, Bob Ellis, and Billy Reid, etc."
First, Kenneth Cole has closed many of their stores. Also, Bob Ellis closed IN ATLANTA too.

Plus they said they filled them with Body Central and Vera Bradley. Those stores just opened in the mall, not in those locations. Kenneth Cole was replaced with Lululemon, Bob Ellis with Vineyard Vines, Intermix with 7 For All Mankind (apparently Atlanta is too good for that store because theirs CLOSED last month), Billy Reid with Tory Burch, etc.

Their replacements aren't always best. Phipps got a Vera Bradley as well, and Gregory's is nothing to write home about anyway. Besides, most of them haven't even BEEN to SouthPark.
I bet Atlanta loses the amount of boutiques in 1 year that Charlotte does in 3-4.
Hmmm....let me think...

These are the closures in the past few years

7 For All Mankind
Barney's NY
Bloomingdale's
Bobby Jones
Bob Ellis
Calvin Klein
French Connection
Judith Leiber
Mark Shale
MaxMara
Miss Sixty
Theory
Tous

Now I know that all of them are not luxury, but all of them are pretty upscale.

etc. I know there are more and I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

I guess our mall isn't as upscale as Lenox/Phipps. SouthPark has no Legoland or Wet Seal.

Phipps has been going so far south, anyway. It is nothing like it was originally.

But get this, they said that Mall of Georgia could compete with SouthPark. Haha. MOG=Northlake+Nordstrom. It's not even that nice of a Nordstrom. I prefer the SouthPark one any of the Atlanta stores. Phipps is basically SouthPark with a Gucci boutique and few other brands that I could get at NM SouthPark, plus it's smaller. Perimeter is much larger and has 3 floors, but each one feels much smaller than SP's. Then, Mall of Georgia's store is older and less upscale.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:19 PM

I like Lenox and Phipps until people like you come, who are obviously obsessed with it, and bash every person, place, or thing that says they are anything but amazing. Just look at Yelp. Not many people like Lenox on there. SouthPark has better reviews (a 4 vs. Lenox's 3.5).

You are pathetic. I am 2 seconds from reporting you for being so ridiculous, rude, and completely ruining this thread. This will be my last post directed towards you on this thread. Continue to post whatever delusional crap you want to. I will get a moderator to come through and delete it.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:33 PM

No your delusional and the rumors u speak on are from a few people that said something on another blog. Your so called constructive criticism turns into bashing. Face it Charlotte is in the shadows of Atlanta especially in retail and will be in our llifetime. Charlotte can't even land simple stores like H&M Armani Exchange Or Zara which citizen's have been begging for those stores. What u need to do is join the marketing team at Southpark maybe they with step there game up in there store offerings. Roofs and garages collapseing and stuff lol. For the record they closed majority of there stores Max Mara and Barney's closed majority of the stores. Evidently Atlanta is great u keep.popping your tail here all the time. And my bad its Buckhead that produces over 1 billion in retail sales a year.

Quote:
No, that is not true. MaxMara and Barneys did NOT close all of their stores. Do you think more than 5 stores closing in just a few years isn't bad? Because 5 sounds pretty bad to me. With the exception of the closing of MaxMara and replacing it with Bottega Veneta, nothing at Phipps has been replaced with something as good or better than what closed. You seriously need a reality check. Most people know that Phipps is starting to go down the drain after the closings of MaxMara and Theory, and the rumors of Vince, Valentino, Barney's (which did close), and Versace doing very poorly at the mall, and most importantly with the opening of Legoland. People who shop at Bal Harbour would just laugh at Phipps, but probably not at SouthPark.

You are just ridiculous and delusional. Most people in Atlanta act this way towards Charlotte, and I am tired of it. I doubt I will go back to Lenox or Phipps or even Atlanta for all of you annoying, ridiculous people. Get your heads stuck out of Atlanta's [***] and maybe you will finally see it's not that great. I have a dear friend who lives in Atlanta and is interested in retail at Lenox and Phipps, and even he would think that you are ridiculous.

I have no interest in talking to you because you are just ridiculous. Besides, whenever I say something negative about Lenox you ignore that, because you must agree. Or else you would respond to my whole post rather than just picking out the little pieces to make Charlotte and SP look bad.

As I said before, if you have no constructive criticism of the mall, Charlotte, etc. and are just BASHING the mall and city then please GO AWAY. We are now going to ignore you (hopefully anyone else will). We all know that if we ignore you then you will go away, so consider yourself invisible. Someday, if you finally realize how ridiculous you are being, and decide to apoligize, we wouldn't mind knowing what stores you think the mall should have and what stores should go, etc. I do the same things with Lenox/Phipps but
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte