Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 05:38 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
NC General Assembly Representative, Craig Horne (R) who represents Union County in the NC Legislature, spoke on WSOC this evening. He thinks that it is unlikely the GOP controlled Legislature will allow Charlotte to pass the food and beverage tax. implication there just isn't something right about taxing people's food for something like this. He thinks it will be a tough mountain to climb. WSOC said they could find no legislator who would go on record in support of the tax.

If true, then it's over. The Charlotte city council will have to find another way to to raise this money. They too have refused to say anything about it to the public.
I didn't think about it that way until I saw it but now that I did I feel it's right not to tax food for a stadium.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:34 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,675 times
You gotta love this!! $125mm? That's way too much! NO, don't subsidize the Panthers to the tune of $125mm.... City Council has a better idea: $144 MILLION!! LOL!

Heated discussion at Charlotte City Council and Mayor retreat - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Old 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM

527 posts, read 919,833 times
$144 mill for 15 years...

There better be at least 4 superbowl..and 10 division title.

Else it's too much good money behind a cat's a$$.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:44 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
We knew it would happen.

The Georgia Dome is only 20 years old but is being replaced. I guess we should feel lucky to only be contributing $144 mil. On the other hand, Atalnta is giving $200 mil and getting a new stadium.

Is there some way to turn Eastland into a stadium? Just a thought.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:09 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
So this means if you eat out in the city of Charlotte, or buy anything in a Charlotte grocery store that is deemed prepared (think anything cooked) then you will be paying a 9.25% tax.

This is going to hurt small Mom & Pop restaurants. Those on the edge don't need this as we have seen our share of them close recently. The local restaurant association has come out against the tax saying it's not fair. I agree with them. It's putting taxes on food so that it can be handed over for the exclusive use of a multi-Billionaire.

I'll simply stop shopping for anything within the city limits.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:38 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
So this means if you eat out in the city of Charlotte, or buy anything in a Charlotte grocery store that is deemed prepared (think anything cooked) then you will be paying a 9.25% tax.

This is going to hurt small Mom & Pop restaurants. Those on the edge don't need this as we have seen our share of them close recently. The local restaurant association has come out against the tax saying it's not fair. I agree with them. It's putting taxes on food so that it can be handed over for the exclusive use of a multi-Billionaire.

I'll simply stop shopping for anything within the city limits.
Multi billionaire? Who?

Old 02-08-2013, 05:05 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Multi billionaire? Who?
ok, a slight exaggeration.
Quote:
Jerry Richardson is an American businessman, he has a net worth of $500 million.
But you get the point, right? Was this a business "negotiation" or a hostage negotiation? Sounds like extortion to me. Cough up $125mm or I move the team. Oh, you want a guarantee? ok, 5 years... oh you want 15 years? That will cost you $145mm... And people complain about welfare "queens". This is corporate welfare at its worst.

Need more money? Why not raise ticket prices? Oh, you won't sell tickets if prices go up? If you had a winning team, as in a division leading team, you could probably double ticket prices and still sell out.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Interesting they decided to use the prepared food and beverage tax after the whole streetcar debate; Especially considering Raleigh would have to approve this tax.

This makes me curious what they plan on doing with the surplus from the convention center. I

Here is a quote from the Obersver on the 23rd
Quote:
Rather than raise taxes to help pay for Bank of America Stadium renovations, the city of Charlotte could cover almost all of the team’s $125 million request by using Convention Center money.
[LEFT]
Read more here: Convention center money could help cover Panthers stadium upgrades | CharlotteObserver.com
[/LEFT]
Convention center money could help cover Panthers stadium upgrades | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
If the money is coming from ANYWHERE other than Jerry Richardson's own corporation, then it isn't right.

This city/county already has higher taxes, overall, than any of the areas surrounding us.

Taxes should go to infrastructure needs, not a privately owned piece of real estate.

This is just NUTS.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
I don't mind at all... I enjoy having an NFL team in Charlotte. People who ckaim to avoid Charlotte after this probably avoid it already.

I'm sure all the sports bars and restaurants approve of this deal as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte