Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 PM

494 posts, read 849,589 times

Advertisements

We are still in the process of looking at moving to Charlotte. If things work out, we will want to live in Dilworth or Myers Park. My wife is looking at a job in Davidson, but is worried about the commute. Is this manageable? I know it's against traffic, but it still seems like a hike. Has anyone here experienced this commute? We are not interested in spending a lots of time in the car. We considered looking at living in Davidson, but thought my commute to Charlotte would be a deal breaker. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
We are still in the process of looking at moving to Charlotte. If things work out, we will want to live in Dilworth or Myers Park. My wife is looking at a job in Davidson, but is worried about the commute. Is this manageable? I know it's against traffic, but it still seems like a hike. Has anyone here experienced this commute? We are not interested in spending a lots of time in the car. We considered looking at living in Davidson, but thought my commute to Charlotte would be a deal breaker. What do you guys think?
It's a long drive, made worse by the traffic. It's really the worse traffic in the city from between Huntersville to Mooresville. You might have less traffic going north on 77 in the morning, but both sides of 77 pretty much grind to a halt between 3:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. on weekdays (and anytime there is an accident).

If you are working relatively standard hours near the uptown Charlotte area, I would recommend living in Davidson and taking the express bus (77X) for your commute.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,662 times
Some of this has been covered in great detail here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...oresville.html

Old 01-23-2013, 03:31 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times
There really isn't such a thing as a reverse commute on I-77 N. anymore. There are a lot of people heading from Charlotte to work in Iredell County and N. Meck. I-77 is badly overloaded N. of Exit 23 and it might be years before it's addressed. The commute won't be an easy one from Dilworth or Myers Park. During school months you should count on it taking up to an hour each way. It will be a little easier in the summer. It's not getting any better anytime soon.

There is a proposed commuter rail line from a yet unbuilt train station on Graham St. in downtown CLT to Davidson and possibly points further north. The plan unfortunately does not have funding and prospects for it are slim.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:37 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
I think an hour is really stretching it. A commute from Davidson to Charlotte will be easier than a commute from Charlotte to Davidson, but it is also worth discussing who you guys would rather have make the longer commute if you haven't already. Yes there is some traffic going south on 77 in the evenings, but in my experience it usually eases up after exit 28.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 PM

186 posts, read 436,406 times
The traffic heading up I-77 NB is pretty free flowing in the morning, but you would need to add the surface street time of Dilworth/MP to the highway travel time. I would estimate that a typical day would take about 25 min of highway time. The surface street time getting to the highway I would estimate adds 10-15 minutes because of stoplights and traffic. Davidson (assume exit 30) to Charlotte in the AM is going to be a minimum of 45 minutes, get really lucky and it will be 25, but those lucky days are fading it seems. I scoot out of the office no later than 4:30 and usually get to exit 25 in 25 minutes, so add 7-8 minutes. Without flexibility of telecommuting or flex hours, I definitely think the North to South commute is more time consuming. I also would never pay city per square foot prices or city taxes for that matter... why buy a tiny bungalow for half a million, pay $5,000+ in annual property taxes, when you can get 3 times more for the money in the suburbs, but as they say different strokes, different folks.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 AM

249 posts, read 458,175 times
that would be crazy to make that commute everyday imo

Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 AM

343 posts, read 686,066 times
I live in East Charlotte, Mint Hill and work in Huntersville. I can't wait until they finish 485. It will take 20 min. off my drive time.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
I live in East Charlotte, Mint Hill and work in Huntersville. I can't wait until they finish 485. It will take 20 min. off my drive time.
You'll be retired by the time I-485 is finished. As for the OP, split the difference and live in Huntersville.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:03 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You'll be retired by the time I-485 is finished. As for the OP, split the difference and live in Huntersville.
2015 isn't that far off. But I don't think 485 will do much to lessen traffic on 77 in its worst spots. If anything, it might hurt businesses on Harris Blvd.

Work on outerbelt’s last 5.7 miles gains ground
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte