Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:15 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,784,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname13 View Post
Stay away from Lincolnton. They do not accept people who are not "Locals" . Look in Denver or Gastonia...ANTWHERE but LINCOLNTON!
This is not entirely true. Since I do not live in the city of Lincolnton or Western Lincoln County I really can say too much about that area. That being said Pumpkin Center and Denver are definitely more transplant friendly I am a Yankee from NJ I have had no problems making friends (I live in the Pumpkin Center area) It is all in your attitude and how you treat people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
We lived in NJ (Essex County) for more than 15 years before moving north 5 years ago.
I grew up in Morris County but I raised my children in Hunterdon County.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
This is not entirely true. Since I do not live in the city of Lincolnton or Western Lincoln County I really can say too much about that area. That being said Pumpkin Center and Denver are definitely more transplant friendly I am a Yankee from NJ I have had no problems making friends (I live in the Pumpkin Center area) It is all in your attitude and how you treat people.
ssd, I looked in Lincolnton just once. That was enough for me. That said, North Lincoln & Kings Mountain are the 2 highest ranked high schools out here, not counting the magnet in Gastonia & the early colleges. Gastonia does have 3 very good elementary schools in the SE corner & tons of apartments.

If the OP is looking to rent an apartment, Gastonia would be the easiest. That would give them time to learn the area & check all options. I doubt that the OP's husband would have a problem working in Lincolnton, but she would probably feel more comfortable in your part of Lincoln County, Gastonia, or Kings Mountain.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Ooops! I just read my post. I meant to say I can NOT say too much about The City of Lincolnton or Western Lincoln County. I must say I do gravitate to Denver to do all my shopping, recreational activities for my children and even church.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:55 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,943 times
Thank you for all the answer.

How is the commute say from Gastonia to Lincolnton?

Old 01-30-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
Thank you for all the answer.

How is the commute say from Gastonia to Lincolnton?
My husband commutes from Lincolnton (Pumpkin Center) to Gastonia and it takes him 30 minutes. We are 10 to 15 minutes east of the City of Lincolnton. REALLY check the Gastonia schools for quality and safety. I always look at the high schools first because if the high schools are good then most likely the elementary schools that feed into them are good. Denver might be a good fit. I would start there. There is one apartment complex there but there are nice houses for rent also. BTW I have 2 children in the Lincoln County school system. Both of them in elementary school now but one moving into the middle school next year. I did a lot of research to find the best school district within 1 hour from my husbands job and that is how we ended up in Lincoln County. Not all Lincoln County schools are created equal though. I have to say after living here for several years I am glad we moved where we did.

Last edited by ssd3; 01-30-2013 at 05:15 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
My husband commutes from Lincolnton (Pumpkin Center) to Gastonia and it takes him 30 minutes. We are 10 to 15 minutes east of the City of Lincolnton. REALLY check the Gastonia schools for quality and safety. I always look at the high schools first because if the high schools are good then most likely the elementary schools that feed into them are good. Denver might be a good fit. I would start there. There is one apartment complex there but there are nice houses for rent also. BTW I have 2 children in the Lincoln County school system. Both of them in elementary school now but one moving into the middle school next year. I did a lot of research to find the best school district within 1 hour from my husbands job and that is how we ended up in Lincoln County. Not all Lincoln County schools are created equal though. I have to say after living here for several years I am glad we moved where we did.
The elementary schools in SE Gastonia are very good.

East Elementary in Kings Mountain is a blue ribbon school, but I think that Battleforest Apts are the only apartments zoned to it. She just has a much better shot of getting a good apartment in Gastonia.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The elementary schools in SE Gastonia are very good.

East Elementary in Kings Mountain is a blue ribbon school, but I think that Battleforest Apts are the only apartments zoned to it. She just has a much better shot of getting a good apartment in Gastonia.
I have to admit southbound that I did not look into Gastonia or Kings Mountain because we were told by people my husband works with not to look at those areas so I am not educated at all regarding the schools.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I have to admit southbound that I did not look into Gastonia or Kings Mountain because we were told by people my husband works with not to look at those areas so I am not educated at all regarding the schools.
North Lincoln is the best regular high school out here. Kings Mountain High is 2nd to it. It's 3 very different areas. I really don't know your area, but you've said that it's rural. Gastonia is a city, but the SE area is very much like South Charlotte. Kings Mountain is a city, but with the feel of a town. The population is slightly larger than Belmont, Mount Holly, and Lincolnton. Gastonia & Kings Mountain were nearly destroyed by the textile collapse & then the depression. Both cities are reinventing themselves. I know that there is a wide variety of people in Gastonia, so the OP would be comfortable there. Kings Mountain is still majority natives, but not by much. There are non-white immigrants in Kings Mountain. The ones who I know are Asians.

It's odd that your husband was told to avoid Kings Mountain. I talk to natives there all of the time & most like Kings Mountain, but I can't say the same for Shelby & Lincolnton, for different reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte