Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 03:06 PM

149 posts, read 328,076 times

Advertisements

I'm posting this thread for those new to the Charlotte area like myself.

When I visited this school for the first time 8/26/2011, I was mortified! It gave me a feel of how a school would look in a small town with a cult type of atmosphere. When I drove onto the campus, I saw the gloomy looking trailers which was a sign of what was yet to come. When I walked inside, I saw a cramped partially built building filled with staff looking overwhelmed and kids sitting in "classrooms" separated by small partitions. I can't see how the lids would be able to concentrate since everyone was speaking over each other and the teacher student ratio was high. The admissions rep informed us their school has a new principal, no cafeteria or transportation services. I warn those of you to not consider this school if you want your child to receive a good quality style of learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 03:41 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,734 times
Not to argue with you, but to "Warn" others to not consider this school is a personal experience. Many will choose this school because it offers something different and unique than the school in their community. Lots of people love charter schools because of the longer concentrated curriculum. There are many schools within CMS that I don't agree with, but I woudn't warn people to stay away. I don't like any schools with trailers on the premises, but I see that this is a trend in Charlotte, due to class room space shortages. Even the best schools may have some trailers--does not mean that they are unable to teach. Coming from NYC, many charter schools has no gym, cafeteria or transportation services, but they are able to produce bright students.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:17 PM

689 posts, read 1,656,782 times
While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, that is all it is. YOUR opinion. I know kids who go there and parents who are VERY happy with the education their kids are receiving.

I hope that anyone who reads that, and are interested in Queens Grant, will go visit the school and make the decision on your own. What is wrong for one child might be the best thing for another.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, that is all it is. YOUR opinion. I know kids who go there and parents who are VERY happy with the education their kids are receiving.

I hope that anyone who reads that, and are interested in Queens Grant, will go visit the school and make the decision on your own. What is wrong for one child might be the best thing for another.

^^^^Okay I agree with you I do have my own opinion to be entitled to. And your right. One man's trash can be another man's treasure. But I still don't see how kids being taught in an environment where one class is separated from another class by a small partition. I'm NOT condemning all charter schools I'm sure there are many that are doing a fine job. However I want what's best for my child and that school in MY OPINION didn't represent what I felt would be a quality education FOR MY CHILD.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmom6722 View Post
^^^^Okay I agree with you I do have my own opinion to be entitled to. And your right. One man's trash can be another man's treasure. But I still don't see how kids being taught in an environment where one class is separated from another class by a small partition. I'm NOT condemning all charter schools I'm sure there are many that are doing a fine job. However I want what's best for my child and that school in MY OPINION didn't represent what I felt would be a quality education FOR MY CHILD.

BTW, As I was leaving the school I noticed a billboard with an artist's rendition of a beautiful brick building with the school name proudly displayed above the artistry. Now is that to be considered false advertising? LOL SMDH!!!!

Old 08-27-2011, 07:20 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,638 times
Trailers are temporary. The picture is what is to come. It takes a while to get the funding to start the building.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
Trailers are temporary. The picture is what is to come. It takes a while to get the funding to start the building.
But 5 years?? This school has been in existence since 2006 and still haven't moved to a more conventional building? I've seen store front churches move into brand new buildings quicker than that. The admissions rep informed us that they were funded by the state. As I was leaving the school I thought IS MUST NOT BE THIS STATE! SMH, LOL

^^^^IN MY OPINION OF COURSE^^^^

Old 08-28-2011, 05:58 AM

104 posts, read 309,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmom6722 View Post
But 5 years?? This school has been in existence since 2006 and still haven't moved to a more conventional building? I've seen store front churches move into brand new buildings quicker than that. The admissions rep informed us that they were funded by the state. As I was leaving the school I thought IS MUST NOT BE THIS STATE! SMH, LOL

^^^^IN MY OPINION OF COURSE^^^^
Charter schools are funded by the state but they cannot use state funding for buildings. They can only use county, federal and donations. The average charter school gets $1200.00/yr per student less. This makes it very difficult to build a building. Almost all charter schools start out in trailers or rented space.

QG does have a very defined culture. Some parents love it. There Is a very strong group of parents that support that school. Other parents can look at the same program and say not for me, not for my child. That is what I love about charters, the choice.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:07 AM

537 posts, read 1,768,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwl1011 View Post
Charter schools are funded by the state but they cannot use state funding for buildings. They can only use county, federal and donations. The average charter school gets $1200.00/yr per student less. This makes it very difficult to build a building. Almost all charter schools start out in trailers or rented space.

QG does have a very defined culture. Some parents love it. There Is a very strong group of parents that support that school. Other parents can look at the same program and say not for me, not for my child. That is what I love about charters, the choice.
atwl1011 is correct.
Charter Schools are funded by the state. But cannot use that $$$ for building.
Charter Schools are at the mercy of Corporate donations, fundraising, grants, etc. to get their money to build and upgrade facilities and equipment.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:59 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
I assume this place is related to the Queens Grant prep school on Idlewild? That place is about to get on my last nerve. Traffic is backed everyday now. They used to have a cop out there directing traffic which made it much more bearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte