Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Hey it's just my opinion. I don't like the Gastonia Loft idea.

And from what I just saw online these lofts started selling in 2010. 16 units. Still not sold out. I know we have the real estate crisis, but the units are incredibly cheap. They are being advertised as less than $650/mo (mortgage, with down payment assistance). Oh Well.

You guys should take that 10 min drive to Gastonia this weekend and put in a contract.
Well, Ace, the lofts are not for sale. The Loray Mill rehab will start this spring. They just got the HUD money last summer. You're not even close to being right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
It would be wise for Charlotte Metro to avoid any of these mistakes. But from what I see (migration patterns, etc...) Charlotte is growing similar to Atlanta. And again, this is just my opinion..
Yet more people are moving into Mecklenburg than all the surrounding counties combined. There are far more people moving into Charlotte than all the surrounding towns in the county combined and there have been no recent annexations to account for the difference. The data is pretty clear about this. The towns in the North have some extremely tough zoning restrictions that keeps suburbs from sprawling across N. Mecklenburg, and the South is already built out.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
"Hick" is an extremely subjective term as you might properly fit that description relative to a certain class or net worth. The entire metro is growing, so Gastonia price points might be more acceptable or workable for certain people. Even in Atlanta, the urbanity hickness is rampant with respect the limited walkable, livable or affordable sections of town...essentially you still need a car, basically, might as well be in Gas-town.
Gastonia has a bus system & is connected to Charlotte by CATS.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
There are far more people moving into Charlotte than all the surrounding towns in the county combined...The data is pretty clear about this.
What data posted in this thread or otherwise has proven this? Please don't tell me to go back and re-read the thread, because it's not here.

Last edited by GoPhils; 02-22-2013 at 11:28 AM..

Old 02-22-2013, 11:06 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Gastonia has a bus system & is connected to Charlotte by CATS.
True but my point was you still need a car (as you do in many areas of Atlanta)...hey, lets give Gastonia some love, the home of James Worthy and Eric "Sleepy" Floyd...its a nice town.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Then so be it. It's why there is a lot of interest in Charlotte.

In regards to the second point, I don't understand. ATL forumers cried foul when I did include it and the numbers looked bad for them, now you don't want it included for the same reason? LOL.

The math & data proves that Charlotte is developing quite differently than ATL did. Thankfully.
Yes.But your statements are false.You conveniently skip over my post question your statements that you said were correct when obviously they are not.Atlanta add Atlantic Station.And area in itself is al 1/3 the size of Downtown Charlotte in less than 10 Years. Buckhead grew a whole new skyline in that same time. You even were presented with articles and facts detailing with that growth. They basically showed that YOU had not been correct with those statements.YOU cannot admit you were wrong because YOU are too stubborn.

Annexation has enabled Charlotte's land area to more than double since 1980, reaching about 303 square miles as of January 1, 2012.
The City of Charlotte has had a policy of systematically undertaking annexation every two years, culminating with an effective annexation date of June 30th of the odd-numbered years.

Charlotte has annexed in almost every decade of its existence.Charlotte has grown a lot but annexing is NOT a result of so many people moving in the city because they love it so much.Its like having Fool's Gold.Pretty but not worth much.
http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Anne...on_History.pdf

Old 02-22-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Annexation has enabled Charlotte's land area to more than double since 1980, reaching about 303 square miles as of January 1, 2012.
The City of Charlotte has had
Dear Heart, My post used current population inside Charlotte's 1970's boundaries. I'm not sure why this completely went over your head. It renders the "annexation" argument completely irrelevant. This was the original argument and why I did the research in the first place. You don't yet again get to change it when the numbers yield a result that you don't like.

i.e. Using the borders of 1970, 40 years development, Atlanta lost 77,000 people, Charlotte gained more than 155,000. Huge difference. Atlanta city was dying, Charlotte city was growing. I honestly don't care about the other places you mention, because I didn't address them.

You can try to spin it however you like but these are facts and not open to opinion.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
True but my point was you still need a car (as you do in many areas of Atlanta)...hey, lets give Gastonia some love, the home of James Worthy and Eric "Sleepy" Floyd...its a nice town.
I like Gastonia & go there frequently. Yes it has it's problems, but so do plenty of other cities. I mean, for a good time, try Camden, NJ. Camden was my county seat for over 40 years. Look up hell-hole in the dictionary & there should be a picture of Camden.

Gastonia is working on bringing in new businesses to replace the mills. They have been adding to retail. Little of what is in Charlotte is not in Gastonia, just on a smaller scale. There are a lot of artists west of Charlotte, & they would be attracted to lofts. The old Loray Mill is not in downtown Gastonia. There are two buildings in the downtown being converted to apartments. One is for senior citizens.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes.But your statements are false.You conveniently skip over my post question your statements that you said were correct when obviously they are not.Atlanta add Atlantic Station.And area in itself is al 1/3 the size of Downtown Charlotte in less than 10 Years. Buckhead grew a whole new skyline in that same time. You even were presented with articles and facts detailing with that growth. They basically showed that YOU had not been correct with those statements.YOU cannot admit you were wrong because YOU are too stubborn.

The City of Charlotte has had a policy of systematically undertaking annexation every two years, culminating with an effective annexation date of June 30th of the odd-numbered years.

Charlotte has annexed in almost every decade of its existence.Charlotte has grown a lot but annexing is NOT a result of so many people moving in the city because they love it so much.Its like having Fool's Gold.Pretty but not worth much.
http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Anne...on_History.pdf
Sure, but there has been substantial organic growth. Again, the only advantage Charlotte has is its era of growth with the possibility for more successfully plan as the metro transitions from a population of 2 million to 4 million (20-30 years) based on current metro growth projections.

The last thing Charlotte needs worry about is a skyline, or any kind of Atlantic Station development (although nice), etc....infill baby, infill. Encourage and incentivize growth near the core.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
What data posted in this thread or otherwise has proven this? Please don't tell me to go back and re-read the thread, because it's not here.
You doubt my word?

No matter. I went to Census.gov, where all my data comes from, (didn't I already say this?) and pulled this change from the last census. I reflects current growth. (2010-2011, there are no 2012 figures)

Meckenburg vs Surrounding counties.

Mecklenburg = 24,745
  • Gaston = 945
  • Union = 4171
  • Cabarrus = 3457
  • Iredell = 1765
  • Lincoln = 667
  • York = 4455
  • Lancaster = 1265
  • Total = 15,773

Mecklenburg is adding more residents than all the surrounding counties combined. I'm not making these things up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte