Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Lets keep the comparisons to the issues at hand and not make it A vs B so much.

Charlotte is a nice city and actually had a pretty good economy for a city its size. It is the whole reason it is growing, very similar to how Atlanta has in the past.

They are also moving forward on initiatives, like Transit to promote future urban growth... just like we did.

I also don't see a reason to put them down, because their system is smaller and less efficient. They are just getting it off the ground and that is a good thing.

and to be honest... I just don't want any tangential arguments
I did not start any of this.This whole thread has been about attacking Atlanta. Charlotte people are"SO proud not to be Atlanta,"but every thread is something about Atlanta.You dont see people in the Atlanta threads talking about how not to be NYC or Chicago.Its crazy the false information being passed around here.
I have even said that Charlotte is a nice little city to retire in when im 80.lol. My bad.So easy.Im joking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
This is what you posted.

Originally Posted by afonega1
So more is better?Sounds like bureaucratic nightmare.

Find where I said that more is better. It was a snide remark & I think that you were trying to start something.
It was a question that you still never answered.If I wanted to start something I would say it.YOU took it that way.ALL through this thread we have been comparing A\tlanta and Charlotte and now you wanna act like im being a $%#%> because I asked a legitimate question?I could care less how you took it.I got nothing to do with that.Its really not that serious

Old 02-22-2013, 11:31 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

This is getting silly.

Georgia may have one one large megacity but more people in the world and can say they have heard of Atlanta and Savannah or know more about them than ANY city in NC.
Wow. Really? Georgia is amazing. Case closed.

Quote:
Not to mention with a $272 billion GDP for Atlanta.

Charlotte-$113 Billion
Research Triangle-$57 Billion
Don"t know Winston-Salems GDP ?
I can bet that All five of Charlotte large cities still cannot equal to the GDP and clout of Atlanta's metro.
NC's GDP is larger than Georgia's. GA is ranked 10th, NC is 9th. VA, my home, is 8th. The combined GDP of Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham and the Triad is $288 billion.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
I did not start any of this.This whole thread has been about attacking Atlanta. Charlotte people are"SO proud not to be Atlanta,"but every thread is something about Atlanta.You dont see people in the Atlanta threads talking about how not to be NYC or Chicago.Its crazy the false information being passed around here.
I have even said that Charlotte is a nice little city to retire in when im 80.lol. My bad.So easy.Im joking.
I hear ya...

but... defend the false attacks, but you might gain more support from others viewing the thread if you don't up the anti by making other types of attacks and potentially angering others inadvertently. Consider the potential audience.

The real true problem at hand I'm afraid is getting lost on deaf ears... Charlotte at 2 million people has a growth area very similar to Atlanta's at 2 million people, which means it has all the same problems to overcome to really make a bunch of maturing suburban neighborhoods densify and they are limited to how many areas can receive infill development... or even moderate density areas.

They aren't really talking about what to do ... to be different... because they think they already are, which is not the case. As long as they think that way, the problems will remain.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Wow. Who's touchy? No city says "I want to grow up and be like Atlanta, Ga" outside of Georgia. I know that must hurt your feelings but get over it. The point of the thread is how Charlotte is working to avoid your mistakes...what we've done and what we still have to not be like you. The thread isn't on the Georgia page. It's on the Charlotte page. If you are so confident that Atlanta is the master of the known universe, why are even bothering arguing with people you consider "less than worthy" of the genius that is Georgia? Move on.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Wow. Who's touchy? No city says "I want to grow up and be like Atlanta, Ga" outside of Georgia. I know that must hurt your feelings but get over it. The point of the thread is how Charlotte is working to avoid your mistakes...what we've done and what we still have to not be like you. The thread isn't on the Georgia page. It's on the Charlotte page. If you are so confident that Atlanta is the master of the known universe, why are even bothering arguing with people you consider "less than worthy" of the genius that is Georgia? Move on.
What is Charlotte really doing different?

Tell me what they are doing now that Atlanta hasn't already done or isn't doing?

The stats don't show much difference yet.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
It was a question that you still never answered.If I wanted to start something I would say it.YOU took it that way.ALL through this thread we have been comparing A\tlanta and Charlotte and now you wanna act like im being a $%#%> because I asked a legitimate question?I could care less how you took it.I got nothing to do with that.Its really not that serious
More is not better & it's not worse. It is what it is.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I hear ya...

but... defend the false attacks, but you might gain more support from others viewing the thread if you don't up the anti by making other types of attacks and potentially angering others inadvertently. Consider the potential audience.

The real true problem at hand I'm afraid is getting lost on deaf ears... Charlotte at 2 million people has a growth area very similar to Atlanta's at 2 million people, which means it has all the same problems to overcome to really make a bunch of maturing suburban neighborhoods densify and they are limited to how many areas can receive infill development... or even moderate density areas.

They aren't really talking about what to do ... to be different... because they think they already are, which is not the case. As long as they think that way, the problems will remain.
Charlotte at 1.7 million has not grown like Atlanta at 1.7 million. This is very point of the thread. You have not proven your point and it's your accusation. The facts are that you can't stand to imagine that another city in Southeast is doing something, anything, better than the center of the Georgian universe.

Atlanta at 1.7 million did not have a light rail system and a streetcar line under construction. It didn't have form based codes to guide development. Your airport wasn't the busiest in the world when there were 1.7 million people in your MSA. Streets were not required to be interconnected, cul de sacs weren't outlawed, and the downtown of Atlanta, GA was NOT growing in residential population when your MSA was 1.7 million.

Do you know what year your MSA was 1.7 million?

Hint....before 1970.

Compared to Atlanta, GA in 1965, (Atlanta, Ga at 1.7 million), Charlotte is a much better place and they owe much of it to what they learned from your mistakes. In Virginia planning, we look at Charlotte and Maryland for our examples of good growth. But, guess what, Charlotteans aren't offended when we visit Charlotte and say we want to learn from their mistakes. They share their lessons and wish us luck. It's a lesson in humility that Georgians should learn.

Last edited by urbanmyth; 02-22-2013 at 11:57 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 11:56 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
I hear ya...

Last year the Republicans changed the annexation law. All of the cities & towns will be getting denser.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Charlotte at 1.7 million has not grown like Atlanta at 1.7 million. This is very point of the thread. You have not proven your point and it's your accusation. The facts are that you can't stand to imagine that another city in Southeast is doing something, anything, better than the center of the Georgian universe.

Atlanta at 1.7 million did not have a light rail system and a streetcar line under construction. It didn't have form based codes to guide development. Your airport wasn't the busiest in the world when there were 1.7 million people in your MSA. Streets were not required to be interconnected, cul de sacs weren't outlawed, and the downtown of Atlanta, GA was NOT growing in residential population when your MSA was 1.7 million.

Do you know what year your MSA was 1.7 million? Hint....before 1970.
I've actually put a good amount of evidence on the table. You haven't responded to any of it, but have made tangential arguments with other posters. I thought the maturing suburbs map of Atlanta was pretty telling at how it lines up with Charlotte's urban growth today.

I also thought the density of the urban areas was very telling.

And no our airport wasn't the busiest in the world, neither was yours... I don't see the point?

It was a very busy hub and rapidly growing, we actually chose to completely rebuild it from the ground up. It use to have a terminal very similar in shape to CTL's actually. It was a common airport design post-WWII until the 70s used in many cities.

We would have hit 1.7 in the late 60's we were just over 2 millione in 1970 and around 1.5 in 1960.

At that point in time we did have regional planners and they were planning out a heavy rail rapid transit system, which has led to further growth of urban neighborhoods. It would take a great deal of time to get passed, funded and built,.... but today it moves a quarter of a million people a day. They equivalent of the number of people using some of our widest freeways.

and... ok so fewer cul-de-sacs... cool beans! but the density and the position of new suburban neighborhoods is the same. That is what will push things out over time and is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte