Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 04:03 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,976,202 times

Advertisements

Did any of you ATL Forumers bother to read the OP? This topic isn't about ATL. Nobody here cares about ATL vs Nova, ATL vs the Deep South, ATL - Capital of Deep South, ATL is the center of the Universe, etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 04:45 PM

183 posts, read 298,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Did any of you ATL Forumers bother to read the OP? This topic isn't about ATL. Nobody here cares about ATL vs Nova, ATL vs the Deep South, ATL - Capital of Deep South, ATL is the center of the Universe, etc.

All everyone is saying is that traffic problems are inevitable as a city grows. Plus the title of the thread is "Why is Atlanta traffic so bad" sooo, yeah. But all were saying is that all big cities have a traffic problem and no matter how well you plan, not everyone wants to live in the core in a dense environment or wants to take public transportation. Charlotte's traffic now is already getting to be pretty bad as you all do have a fairly large and growing population and your roads really aren't THAT adequate and nor is your public transportation.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:49 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
All everyone is saying is that traffic problems are inevitable as a city grows. Plus the title of the thread is "Why is Atlanta traffic so bad" sooo, yeah. But all were saying is that all big cities have a traffic problem and no matter how well you plan, not everyone wants to live in the core in a dense environment or wants to take public transportation. Charlotte's traffic now is already getting to be pretty bad as you all do have a fairly large and growing population and your roads really aren't THAT adequate and nor is your public transportation.
Agreed. Our city is growing too fast for the infrastructure.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:05 PM

Yeah, all we can do is hope that they make public transportation available to a larger segment of the population than what you see here to give people an option.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:35 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,976,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
All everyone is saying is that traffic problems are inevitable as a city grows.
So you didn't read the OP, and this is obvious.

The topic is about what Charlotte can do to avoid these issues.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
So you didn't read the OP, and this is obvious.

The topic is about what Charlotte can do to avoid these issues.
I've read and understood what the OP is saying. And I understand he is trying to find a solution. All I'm saying is that no matter what happens, unless Charlotte's growth comes to a halt, there will be traffic. You can widen a road, expand traffic, improve roads, etc. But the fact remains, Charlotte is a very fast growing metro, so yes, any improvement will definitely help, but it'll be temporary. Another is, all of the cities along I85 are growing pretty rapidly and Charlotte is right smack in the middle. I-85 is already important in linking ATL & CLT to the NE, however, as the population of the 85 corridor grows and its economic influence increases, look for A LOT more traffic along 85 between the cities. Look at Houston and Dallas, they have some of the widest highways in the country, but yet, they're still gridlock at rush hour, NYC, Chicago, Boston, and DC all have a world class subway system, but guess what? Their roads are still congested. So unfortunately, there isn't much Charlotte can do to avoid the issues except of course expand their transit to cover more residents and maybe widen some of their roads so that the traffic won't be as bad as it COULD be.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:29 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,128,498 times
^Agree 100%. The bottom line is this. Cities have been trying for decades to prevent gridlock and to my knowledge, there is no solution. You can lay tracks and widen roads all day long and all that really does is maybe shorten an hour long commute to 45 minutes (at best). Maybe that is considered progress to some people. There is no easy solution for Charlotte to avoid becoming another Atlanta traffic wise.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:08 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,995 times
I doubt Charlotte's traffic will become as bad as Atlanta's. At least through the Uptown/Midtown area. There isn't two interstates on the same route running through them.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM

239 posts, read 376,939 times
Well actually, Loop 277 and I-77 do merge on the west side of downtown and run the same route for about a mile or so, and adds to MUCH of the backup when I head northbound on it after work around 5:30 pm on a weekday. You have ALOT of people headed out towards Lake Norman and outlying areas, as well as ALOT of people who want to ride the loop around to the N. Caldwell, Davidson (and etc) exits.
AND, if Independence becomes a freeway and runs throughout Charlotte (from east to west), IT TOO would be merging in with Loop 277 downtown.
Although I love the idea of Independence becoming a FULL freeway, could you imagine THREE (3) freeways merging with each other???? ALL of the back up of people getting on Independence from the 277 INNER loop (near CPCC) would be redirected to the OUTER LOOP, adding to EVEN MORE traffic on the 277 loop to the NORTH of downtow. And for a freeways thats ONLY 3-4 lanes wide?????? Pray for us!
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
I doubt Charlotte's traffic will become as bad as Atlanta's. At least through the Uptown/Midtown area. There isn't two interstates on the same route running through them.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:49 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
Well actually, Loop 277 and I-77 do merge on the west side of downtown and run the same route for about a mile or so, and adds to MUCH of the backup when I head northbound on it after work around 5:30 pm on a weekday. You have ALOT of people headed out towards Lake Norman and outlying areas, as well as ALOT of people who want to ride the loop around to the N. Caldwell, Davidson (and etc) exits.
AND, if Independence becomes a freeway and runs throughout Charlotte (from east to west), IT TOO would be merging in with Loop 277 downtown.
Although I love the idea of Independence becoming a FULL freeway, could you imagine THREE (3) freeways merging with each other???? ALL of the back up of people getting on Independence from the 277 INNER loop (near CPCC) would be redirected to the OUTER LOOP, adding to EVEN MORE traffic on the 277 loop to the NORTH of downtow. And for a freeways thats ONLY 3-4 lanes wide?????? Pray for us!
lol
I know this. But the 277 merge with 77 does not compare by all means to 85/75 on the exact same route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte