Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times

Advertisements

Let's look at public High Schools - for me that's what drives the property value related to the public schools. Even at that, there is no school vs. school definitive ranking... and some choose private schools even living in better areas. So look at the generalizations related to the "better" schools and then decide what may work best for you. Essentially, for the best areas most will say stand on the google map marker for Charlotte and shine a flashlight south for the best areas. In general for CMS it's Myers Park, Ardrey Kell, and Providence HS - then down into UC it's Marvin Ridge, Weddington, and Cuthbertson. plus, the bordering areas are all good. Matthews, Wesley Chapel, Indian Land/Ft Mill, Indian Trail, etc. The flashlight shining generalization is a good one as far as I'm concerned.

As far as being "cheaper" - it's a tough call. For incorporated Waxhaw, yes you pay "extra" - you get your own police and garbage pick-up for it. That said, Waxhaw is huge... and I mean huge. It's hard to make a generalization about it as a whole since much of it is still very rural on the southern end. However, the northern end of Waxhaw is literally on the door step of Ballantyne and downtown Waxhaw is nice. You can have a great burger and beer at Maxwell's, walk through some antique stores, and then finish off with a nice coffee house visit. So I'd be careful with some here who make negative comments about Union County and Waxhaw in general, likely haven't traveled south of 485 in a decade (or more) - they're just speaking from assumptions and perceptions. You're best to get opinions from folks who have recently lived or traveled around the metro... not from someone who is speaking from experience many, many years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I have a child in union county schools. They are very different from CMS but I wouldn't necessarily say better. I am happy with both counties in the schools we have been in. Only gripe I have and this is prevalent in both counties, is that they cater to the lower performing students. But that seems to be a common problem across the board so it's a losing battle.
What leads you to the conclusion that they cater to the lower performing student?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:46 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
What leads you to the conclusion that they cater to the lower performing student?
In a nutshell and not to derail this thread, but kids that are excelling/finished early, there is nothing for them to do. For kids that don't understand or struggling, there is extra help, extra work and extra time going over and over it during class. This is in middle school, not high school where you can take all honor/AP classes. In middle school in both counties, they only have 2 TD/AIG types of subjects. The rest are regular core classes.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:52 AM

185 posts, read 422,572 times
I was worried that no one was going to answer...AWESOME - and I am not being sarcastic. You all have given me plenty to think about! I was just reading the CT boards to get more info on MET LIFE families planning to move to the same areas we are discussing here. Many of them are in price ranges higher than me, but I am sure the idea of MetLife is going to excite all the realtors and sellers in these areas and I don't want to over pay - we are looking to live decently and economically - my husband has some health issues that may affect his desire to work as hard as he does now(he's retired from one job but working another) as he gets older. We have 2 kids in MS/HS, so we are not interested in "retirement" areas - we would be bored anyway....sorry TMI. I will work, not nec at Macy's, but I want to buy after an evaluation of the most economical way for us to live in a good area long term regardless of jobs, that way we will be OK on pension alone if it came down to that. I find many people from up here want the McMansion w/ all the trappings and then get frustrated when things don't work out - I wonder are they just buying a neighborhood or did they really have an interest in CLT? I want to apologize for them - not all of us are like that! Sometimes I fell afraid or embarrassed to admit I'm from NY, although I admit I will be happy to see/meet other transplants when I arrive - I do believe it will help my kids transition when they arrive to meet others from NE....Got to admit I loved Waxhaw when I visited last. However, am having trouble with the miniscule treeless lots like the new homes in Millbridge. I would probably need a short sale/forclosure in a development that would have been too expensive for me 3 yrs ago. That is what started me looking at Meck. There are older homes there and they are smaller but nice established areas - I could do that....we'll see... I didn't realise the tax on cars is so much higher in Meck. Have to consider that for when my teens start driving and we will eventually be a 3or 4 car family.... lot to consider...thanks again....

Old 03-12-2013, 04:28 PM

430 posts, read 803,972 times
There are definitely neighborhoods that have trees! I'm on my second house in six years down here, and both times I found great houses with trees in nice neighborhoods in Western UC without paying a crazy amount. You do need to look around a bit, but everything isn't like Millbridge for sure.

Also, someone else said that outlying areas of the Marvin, Weddington, Cuthbertson clusters were good too, such as Wesley Chapel. I just want to clarify that Wesley Chapel mostly goes to Cuthbertson and Weddington. It's why I chose it!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:17 PM

175 posts, read 412,593 times
Providence and Myers Park do regularly score high...right up there with Marvin Ridge and Weddington, so I apologize if anyone thought I was dissing them. I'd argue that they are great schools, but CMS is not one of the greatest systems in the world...in my opinion. Union County is no different for that matter, they have plenty of poor performing schools. However, based on the OP's request I offered the tax differences to point to her the need to be careful in looking for homes. Waxhaw mailing address can be in unincorporated Union, Wesley Chapel, Marvin, Weddington...or the high tax Waxhaw. It is crucial to know where you are. You can buy in a neighborhood off Providence or Rea and be in South Charlotte in minutes...maybe the gas would make up the difference in taxes, its a call you have to make. But if you like the general area of Waxhaw...then I cannot see how it would be a bad call to move there (again so long as you avoid anything in the city limits of Waxhaw.) The schools are excellent and between your house and cars you will likely save at least $1000 a year over Charlotte taxes. Again, you may buy $1000 more in gas...so it may be a wash. But if you love the area then you have your answer.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:54 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Let's look at public High Schools - for me that's what drives the property value related to the public schools. Even at that, there is no school vs. school definitive ranking... and some choose private schools even living in better areas. So look at the generalizations related to the "better" schools and then decide what may work best for you. Essentially, for the best areas most will say stand on the google map marker for Charlotte and shine a flashlight south for the best areas. In general for CMS it's Myers Park, Ardrey Kell, and Providence HS - then down into UC it's Marvin Ridge, Weddington, and Cuthbertson. plus, the bordering areas are all good. Matthews, Wesley Chapel, Indian Land/Ft Mill, Indian Trail, etc. The flashlight shining generalization is a good one as far as I'm concerned.

As far as being "cheaper" - it's a tough call. For incorporated Waxhaw, yes you pay "extra" - you get your own police and garbage pick-up for it. That said, Waxhaw is huge... and I mean huge. It's hard to make a generalization about it as a whole since much of it is still very rural on the southern end. However, the northern end of Waxhaw is literally on the door step of Ballantyne and downtown Waxhaw is nice. You can have a great burger and beer at Maxwell's, walk through some antique stores, and then finish off with a nice coffee house visit. So I'd be careful with some here who make negative comments about Union County and Waxhaw in general, likely haven't traveled south of 485 in a decade (or more) - they're just speaking from assumptions and perceptions. You're best to get opinions from folks who have recently lived or traveled around the metro... not from someone who is speaking from experience many, many years ago.
Excellent post!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:56 AM

185 posts, read 422,572 times
I know this is an aside to my original question - but wouldn't many of you fill up in SC if you live in SCLT or western UC? Living in NY, I ALWAYS fill up in NJ whenever I am near - gas is at least .30/gal cheaper there!

Also, I guess I will have to rely on a good realtor when the time comes, because I broke my first GPS looking last time on my own! LOL I am very analytical and I like to make my own decisions and not feel pushed by a realtor that hardly knows me. Here in the NY suburbs the realtors are like sharks - they have to be - we've had 3 houses so far, so we are experienced... However, on most websites you cannot search "Ballentyne" or "Wesley Chapel" I have to go on school websites and then search zip codes for that area, but that even is not effective, as many listings do not specify school....I guess when my house goes on I'll make contact....

Old 03-13-2013, 09:30 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
I use this site in junction to Real Estate, Homes for Sale, MLS Listings, Agents | Redfin or CarolinaHome.com | Home Page to find the house. You can compare the map on all three sites to ensure you are in the "zone". This has all the union county and mecklenburg county schools in all three levels.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 03-22-2013 at 07:31 AM..

Old 03-13-2013, 09:30 AM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen824 View Post
I know this is an aside to my original question - but wouldn't many of you fill up in SC if you live in SCLT or western UC? Living in NY, I ALWAYS fill up in NJ whenever I am near - gas is at least .30/gal cheaper there!

Also, I guess I will have to rely on a good realtor when the time comes, because I broke my first GPS looking last time on my own! LOL I am very analytical and I like to make my own decisions and not feel pushed by a realtor that hardly knows me. Here in the NY suburbs the realtors are like sharks - they have to be - we've had 3 houses so far, so we are experienced... However, on most websites you cannot search "Ballentyne" or "Wesley Chapel" I have to go on school websites and then search zip codes for that area, but that even is not effective, as many listings do not specify school....I guess when my house goes on I'll make contact....
I do buy gas in SC, at a rate of 95% of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte