Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:36 PM

241 posts, read 891,996 times

Advertisements

Looking for some decent furniture stores that sell contemporary (NOT MODERN, Contemporary) furniture in Charlotte area. I know that there's Rooms to Go, Ashley (they didn't have much for a contemporary section though). I hear that they're building a Crate and Barrell - not sure if that's up yet. Don't care much for Pottery Barn. Any suggestions? Shankya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 03:37 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
C&B at South Park has been open for a little bit.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:58 PM

628 posts, read 2,078,779 times
Try EQ3 or By Design....they have modern furniture and some contempory, Crate and Barrel is open by the South Park Mall

Old 10-30-2007, 09:16 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,042 times
There are so many funiture stores in Charlotte. I'm surprised you're having trouble. Down by Carolina Place Mall is a strip of furniture stores. Charlotte is loaded with Value City stores. I purchased several pieces from them and Broyhill and love them. The Crate and Barrel at South Park does not have much, you can check their webpage for better stuff.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:15 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Also check BigLots. Got a pretty nice recliner from there.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:31 AM

537 posts, read 1,768,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damaranicole View Post
I hear that they're building a Crate and Barrell - not sure if that's up yet.
Maybe you're thinking if IKEA? That won't be open for quite a while.

I was rather pleasently surprised with Ashley Furniture.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:13 AM

550 posts, read 1,809,035 times
There are a few at exit 18 off 77, too...other side of interstate from the mall

Old 10-31-2007, 11:18 AM

125 posts, read 376,316 times
We replaced a 12 year old leather sofa with new leather group from Ashley and it is falling apart. The stiching is loose, the arms sound like cardboard and nails are popping through the leather. We also purchased tables and entertainment center and that's been fine. Our new counter height kitchen table and chairs were messed up and the second set was also damaged to the extent they cancelled the delivery the day they were to replace. took a while to get the final undamaged piece. Contacted them re: problems with leather sofa/loveseat and since it was over first year (had contacted them earlier but moved and got rid of old computer and hence email) we were SOL. But now I can post this and it makes me feel a little better. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND QUALITY AT ASHLEY FURNITURE.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:23 AM

460 posts, read 1,770,624 times
I drove up from Durham to C&B, and it was well worth the drive! Directly across the parking lot is a Design Within Reach, too. (I know you don't want modern, but it's there as an option, in case you want a piece of mod, or two.)

The C&B has some of the best customer service I've seen in a long time. Also, they have a great mix of furniture, and are very open about who manufactures it. You'll find names that you're used to hearing from high end custom shops like Mitchel Gold + Bob Williams, Maria Yee (all eco friendly), Lee Industries, McCrery Modern, etc. If you have a manufacturer you like, the sales associates can help you pick it out (or you might notice it on your own. I was able to pick out most of the Yee pieces by sight.)

Also, if you don't mind internet shopping, there's always Room & Board furniture and home furnishings for every room in your house . It's a lot like C&B, and many of the tables, and such can be customized in terms of table tops, and legs, etc. Also, the customer service is VERY good. They, too, will tell you who the manufacturer is.

If you're up for the drive, maybe head to High Point to the show rooms there. Worth it if you're furnishing several rooms.

If you like the slip covered (and other) look of Potter Barn/C&B furniture, consider going to the Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams outlet (I think in Hickory?). AWESOME deals, and very nice sales people. The furniture mart is this weekend, so you'll be able to get some total steals this weekend. If you look at the MGBW website and pick out the styles you like, the outlet staff can tell you if they came in from the mart.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:49 PM

241 posts, read 891,996 times
So, you said it would be worth it if we were furnishing a few rooms (we'll be doing the entire house) to go to High Point. It'd be worth it even with the shipping? Or do we ship ourselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte