Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 04:13 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times

Advertisements

^ spot on.

The success of the blue line is the Part of the blue line that functions like a streetcar

I'd also go on to say a large area located near the rail (even mile+) will benefit as the area itself becomes more attractive. Plaza-Midwood (and NoDa) I would assume will develop differently as both neighborhoods have a robust "downtown" that SouthEnd sorta lacked.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 05-19-2013 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 05:13 PM

279 posts, read 447,807 times
When and if the streetcar deed is ever done, I don't think it will make any difference. The only thing it changed in Portland was to make it more expensive to live there. People have been moving away and ridership has been going down.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:11 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,194,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
When and if the streetcar deed is ever done, I don't think it will make any difference. The only thing it changed in Portland was to make it more expensive to live there. People have been moving away and ridership has been going down.
Property value increases are exactly the goal. I've read that values along Portlands line have increased ten times and more in some if the more depressed areas. If S. Charlotte wants the eastside to pull some tax weight there has to be capital improvements. And not many things spur developer confidence like rails in the ground. It's a tried and true formula.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:12 AM

279 posts, read 447,807 times
Property values went up in Portland because of the urban growth zone. To make the streetcars work, the city made a lot of land unavailable for development. This forced people into a small area. Ridership is falling on the streetcar. I guess it's because the higher income types are not as prone to using public transit. I suppose this plan backfired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte