Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 06:14 PM

69 posts, read 122,901 times

Advertisements

Generous gift for the top flight scholarship program
Levines’ gift extends, expands UNC Charlotte’s scholars program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 07:22 PM

444 posts, read 582,288 times
Default No Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexniner View Post
Generous gift for the top flight scholarship program
Levines’ gift extends, expands UNC Charlotte’s scholars program
Before I was corrected by my GF I thought UNCC was a Community College. I have always heard it was the place to take a Continuing Ed course, and had many commuters. I see that their traditional program admits only 63% but WOW they only graduate 26% of students within 4 years. That is a rubbish KPI and seems to be a problem the school should focus on, not starting a FOOTBALL TEAM. Just like everything else I have complained about with Charlotte, here is another example of a local institution ignoring the issues right in front of them. The national average full-time graduation rate is right around 60%. Ding Dong - Hello, Is Anyone Home? Yes, we are part of the UNC School System, Lets have a FOOTBALL TEAM to generate revenue, not focus on graduating our students. Oh sorry nobody is home.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:35 PM

125 posts, read 243,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
Before I was corrected by my GF I thought UNCC was a Community College. I have always heard it was the place to take a Continuing Ed course, and had many commuters. I see that their traditional program admits only 63% but WOW they only graduate 26% of students within 4 years. That is a rubbish KPI and seems to be a problem the school should focus on, not starting a FOOTBALL TEAM. Just like everything else I have complained about with Charlotte, here is another example of a local institution ignoring the issues right in front of them. The national average full-time graduation rate is right around 60%. Ding Dong - Hello, Is Anyone Home? Yes, we are part of the UNC School System, Lets have a FOOTBALL TEAM to generate revenue, not focus on graduating our students. Oh sorry nobody is home.
Starting a football team is one of the best things they could have done. I have given internships to a few UNCC students in the past and one of their biggest complaints about the school is that it doesn't have a college feel. Sports are synonymous with college life, especially football. The way you hold a good retention rate is to make the people in your institution enjoy where they are and having something you can all root for and gather around is a great way to do so.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:36 PM

571 posts, read 715,749 times
There are 2,870 four-year colleges and universities in the United States: Higher education in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

UNCC is ranked #201 overall out of all of them, according to US News & World Report:

University of North Carolina--Charlotte | Overall Rankings | Best College | US News

That's a pretty high rank, actually. Some more specific rankings: #117 in public schools ranking; #61 for part-time MBA; #86 for education schools; #140 in engineering; #41 in health care management; #22 in nursing-anesthesia; #59 in public affairs; #66 in social work; #23 in online graduate engineering, among others. Also ranked in biological sciences, computer science, math, nursing and physics.

On the Forbes list, UNCC is ranked #524 overall out of the nearly four-year 3,000 colleges and universities, and #195 in research, #131 in the South:

University of North Carolina, Charlotte - Forbes

Money Magazine has UNCC ranked at #280: http://time.com/money/3023968/univer...-at-charlotte/

So I don't get why anyone would think it has a bad rep.

Last edited by brichard; 10-29-2014 at 09:48 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 01:59 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
.... I thought UNCC was a Community College. .....but WOW they only graduate 26% of students within 4 years. That is a rubbish KPI .....
The graduation rate for Engineering there is 10 points less than that.

It's not a problem. It means that UNCC is a tough school and diplomas from there means the student has actually learned something. The last thing they need to do is to make it easier to graduate with watered down classes. Too many universities have done this so they can milk the Federal loan program.

I agree with you about the football team however. It was a waste of resources.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:47 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
Quote:
You have bad stats. The national average for 6-year graduation rate is 59%; UNCC's is 54%. 4-year graduation rates are pretty much worthless and track pretty closely to parents' income.

I agree with you that football was a wasteful decision, but don't go repeating stats you don't understand to run down the school.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:36 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
So you don't think having a Division I football team will make people realize that it's not a community college? Yes UNC is a great academic school but the basketball team is a big reason it gets so much exposure...

Old 10-30-2014, 07:25 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,166,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So you don't think having a Division I football team will make people realize that it's not a community college? Yes UNC is a great academic school but the basketball team is a big reason it gets so much exposure...

UNC athletic program gets exposure alright...

Everything You Need To Know About The Fake Class Scandal Rocking UNC - Business Insider

When did we loose the fact that the reason for schooling our kids should be education???

Old 10-30-2014, 07:37 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
yep, I heard about UNCC from the tourney back in the 80's.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:14 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
UNC athletic program gets exposure alright...

Everything You Need To Know About The Fake Class Scandal Rocking UNC - Business Insider

When did we loose the fact that the reason for schooling our kids should be education???
But as was said in the thread about that on the state forum, that doesn't change the fact UNC is still a great academic school.

Yes, school is about education, but many people still learn about schools through sports especially as Felt mentioned in the NCAA basketball tournament where otherwise pretty unknown schools can get some recognition. Many people do consider the entire "college experience" when choosing schools which many times includes watching sporting events particularly football. And again adding the football team at UNCC could help shed its image of just being a commuter school.

Speaking of education, you mean lose, not loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte