Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:45 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times

Advertisements

When I grew up if you qualified for free or reduced price meals they called your name in home room and you had to walk up to the teacher in front of the class to get tickets that you tore off each day for a meal. They looked like raffle tickets. I was grateful I was "only" on reduced lunch and not free because that meant for sure you were poor.

I don't know what system they use now but I assume it would be the same method used with PAMS where a debit card is provided or maybe it's tied to their student ID. Maybe someone can chime in.

Partially to make sure no kids go hungry and therefore learn better and partly to eliminate stigma, CMS is going to offer every student free breakfast next year. Or, I guess that means breakfast will just plain be free since no one has to pay for it why bother having a pay method.

I don't understand the stigma thing if it's all done by computer but I don't know if that's the case. I like the idea because there are plenty of non poor parents that may forget to prepare a meal or give their kid money. But I'm just not sure if there's that many of those kids out there and maybe the answer could be to offer it free to anyone that requests without having an application.

Regardless, it's done now. I can't imagine there being too many objections but if you have one or other thoughts especially if you were ever in the poor kids section in school please chime in.

Free breakfast for all CMS students gets OK | CharlotteObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 08:00 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
I wonder how much waste there will be, both in food loss and administrative excess.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:04 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
When I grew up if you qualified for free or reduced price meals they called your name in home room and you had to walk up to the teacher in front of the class to get tickets that you tore off each day for a meal. They looked like raffle tickets. I was grateful I was "only" on reduced lunch and not free because that meant for sure you were poor.

I don't know what system they use now but I assume it would be the same method used with PAMS where a debit card is provided or maybe it's tied to their student ID. Maybe someone can chime in.

Partially to make sure no kids go hungry and therefore learn better and partly to eliminate stigma, CMS is going to offer every student free breakfast next year. Or, I guess that means breakfast will just plain be free since no one has to pay for it why bother having a pay method.

I don't understand the stigma thing if it's all done by computer but I don't know if that's the case. I like the idea because there are plenty of non poor parents that may forget to prepare a meal or give their kid money. But I'm just not sure if there's that many of those kids out there and maybe the answer could be to offer it free to anyone that requests without having an application.

Regardless, it's done now. I can't imagine there being too many objections but if you have one or other thoughts especially if you were ever in the poor kids section in school please chime in.

Free breakfast for all CMS students gets OK | CharlotteObserver.com
My sister's boy was putting on weight that she couldn't explain.
She fed him breakfast every day.
Somehow, the fact that their school district (in another state) was laying out free breakfast for all kids slipped past her.
She had no idea he was eating two breakfasts every day for a couple of months.
LOL

Old 06-12-2013, 08:19 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
My sister's boy was putting on weight that she couldn't explain.
She fed him breakfast every day.
Somehow, the fact that their school district (in another state) was laying out free breakfast for all kids slipped past her.
She had no idea he was eating two breakfasts every day for a couple of months.
LOL
! I used to go around and tell neighbors my parents hadn't fed me. Glad that wasn't in the following decade or I would have been taken away (not that I didn't deserve it).

Old 06-13-2013, 04:44 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
There's no way to tell which kids are on the program in the lunchroom. There is a machine at the register where you input your pin number and done. All kids use the pin machine. Only way to tell us you can not get extras like the 'paying' kids do such as chips/dessert etc. I know this because I couldn't figure out why my kid was running out of her lunch money I deposited in her account monthly. Turned out she felt sorry for the one of her friends that couldn't get ice cream so she was buying her an ice cream every day. So I guess it might be obvious that way if kid is the only one without a treat. But I still don't understand the free breakfast and how that's supposed to remove the 'stigma'?

Old 06-13-2013, 05:01 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,161 times
From the article:

Quote:
Hobbs said federal and state subsidies for providing breakfast to low-income students come to more than the cost of making breakfast, especially on a large scale. That will allow CMS to offer the meal without charging families or tapping county money.
I can picture cheap, substandard food being offered, and the cost difference being used somewhere else - a potential abuse, according to the article. Cue songs from "Oliver!".

Quote:
“The cost still comes from us, because it’s taxpayer money,” board member Tom Tate noted.
Wow, one board member who understands there's no such thing as a free lu... er, breakfast.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:07 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
I'm a fiscally conservative kind of guy. Having stated that, making sure each child gets a decent breakfast is a pretty important component to learning. Is it the school's job to make sure kids get a breakfast? No. Are a LOT OF PARENTS losers that send their kids off without any thought to feeding the child. Unfortunately, YES.

So, does the school do its job, and a sizable number of its students come to school hungry, which affects learning, or does the school take on yet another non-teaching role, to try to optimize education? Unfortunately, the later is a better, though certainly more expensive option.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:22 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Any chance this has anything to do with how a lot of people were complaining that schools didn't offer enough food for lunch?

Old 06-13-2013, 05:48 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Any chance this has anything to do with how a lot of people were complaining that schools didn't offer enough food for lunch?
If there isn't enough food for lunch, why are there so many fat kids? Put another way, if so many kids are fat, why do they need more food for lunch?

Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 AM

196 posts, read 428,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
If there isn't enough food for lunch, why are there so many fat kids? Put another way, if so many kids are fat, why do they need more food for lunch?
It doesn't help that the PE activity in school is stacking cups. I kid you not. The teacher told my son "it builds agility".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte