Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 06:37 AM

430 posts, read 804,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
Seems like since your child is a junior you have nothing to worry about. But the rest of us not in your situation do. End of story. Maybe you should do a little more research and you can find out a lot about Parkwood school system. Like no school spirit to start. Teachers don't go above and beyond for the kids. Yes I see in a post the the kids are the ones taking the tests. But if their scores are low it's up to the "Teachers" to see why students are doing poorly and help them to achieve a better education. That's what we pay taxes for. If anyone of us weren't productive at our job we would be fired period! So there's no reason why teachers shouldn't be productive. Guess it's time to start firing them one by one maybe they would get the hint.
Do you children go to Parkwood Middle or High?

Old 01-08-2014, 06:41 AM

98 posts, read 165,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
Wow. The level of self-entitled vitriol against teachers is sad. Any school is a community of students, parents, teachers, administrators and the greater community. One leg cannot compensate for shortcomings in the others. If teachers have students who come from family situations where education is not as important as, say, keeping a roof over the family's heads or putting food on the table, then no teacher can work miracles.

I am a teacher in a school that is considered pretty good overall, but over the last three years we've seen the number of outside factors like homelessness, fragile home situations and poverty rise. I have 36 kids in one high school class and a lot of them are dealing with family issues that would tear out your heart.

For the record, I had a long, successful career in private industry before I became a teacher and your argument that anyone not productive would be fired is utter BS. Over many years I saw people who were the worst employees, slackers and suck-ups survive through round after round of layoffs, while the consistent steady performers were let go because they didn't kiss butt.
Maybe your not seeing what some of us are. I'm glad to hear that you are an exception and wish we had more teachers like yourself since it seems as if you care and love your job. I do hear what your saying about kids and family problems. I get that. But don't you think that a child that is not getting the education they deserve makes things worse for them? Also what your saying is if you don't want to do your job the way you were taught,you should continue you have one and have taxpayer give you a salary you don't deserve? I know a few teachers that are very good and took on that career to make a change not even get that chance. Not to sound political but we vote for a president every 4 yrs to make a change for the better. If he or she is good we keep them another term. If not we "Change" them and try again. It's the same thing when your an employee. That's just the way it works. So kiss butt and get to stay. Yes it's not fair but we are talking about our children. We all should have a say in their future is what I'm saying. Give them a chance. When I read kids saying how bad their school is then you know it's a problem. When I hear a faculty person tell me that works there "you don't want your kids going here" that tells me something. But I'm glad to see you care about education. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones to get re district there and help make that change.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:13 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
Seems like since your child is a junior you have nothing to worry about. But the rest of us not in your situation do. End of story. Maybe you should do a little more research and you can find out a lot about Parkwood school system. Like no school spirit to start. Teachers don't go above and beyond for the kids. Yes I see in a post the the kids are the ones taking the tests. But if their scores are low it's up to the "Teachers" to see why students are doing poorly and help them to achieve a better education. That's what we pay taxes for. If anyone of us weren't productive at our job we would be fired period! So there's no reason why teachers shouldn't be productive. Guess it's time to start firing them one by one maybe they would get the hint.
FYI, when they move kids, they move teachers with them. So the kids will have some of the same teachers they have at Cuthbertson. I'm not sure how the administration is over at Cuthbertson, but if it is good, I would be advocating for them to move the principal as well.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralaylin View Post
Do you children go to Parkwood Middle or High?
They go to Cuthbertson since they opened. 1 went to Kensington and started Cuthbertson middle school from day one they opened, and now is a sophomore w 2 yrs left so that's why I'm upset. Don't think my child should have to graduate away from friends they were with the last 6 yrs. my other child was first 4 yr grad class at Cuthbertson high so my child now would be first full term Middle / High school Grad class. That's something they are proud of.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:40 AM

238 posts, read 567,704 times
Parkwood has a much higher crime rate than Cuthbertson, that alone makes me dread this move. Moving kids from a safe school to a dangerous one is careless

Old 01-08-2014, 07:48 AM

I find it pretty telling that the new enrollment number goals for next year posted by UCPS has practically no effect on Marvin Ridge ES, MS and HS. Marvin Elementary is under capacity, and yet they plan to take more kids out of there instead of putting more kids there. These three school have the least impact. While Cuthbertson schools and Kensington are practically being gutted. How is this fair? Seems pretty shady to me. Looks like money plays a powerful role

Old 01-08-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
FYI, when they move kids, they move teachers with them. So the kids will have some of the same teachers they have at Cuthbertson. I'm not sure how the administration is over at Cuthbertson, but if it is good, I would be advocating for them to move the principal as well.
I do know they move some teachers not all. But whose to say that your child is in that class or grade. Seems as if it's time for a major overhaul. 1 or 3 teachers are not responsible for a grade 3 school or low test scores. It's the school on a whole. Maybe it would wake this administration up if they knew their job was on the line. If that school or any other under performing school for that matter has been that way for yrs and they get away with being just that. Then that's why we have so many parents scared right now. It's not just me but I'm the one voicing what's on my mind. If I don't do my job they way it should be guess what? My boss will find someone else that will. So we need to do the same. Again just my opinion.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
My house isn't high end but I pay 2 taxes county and town. They say my house went up 40k more than what I paid so my taxes are well over $3600 a year. And I accept that because I know I did it for my family and school system. If we are sent to Parkwood schools I was told by 3 different real estate agencies my property value will drop 40%. Do you think Union County and the town of Waxhaw will adjust my taxes ??? Yeah I think not.
That's exactly what we went through. We moved to Union and bought a pretty expensive house, why was it so expensive? Because it was zoned to great schools like KES and Cutherbertson. I could have bought the same size house in the Parkwood district and paid 100k less. But we sacrificed to give our kids a good education. We can't afford private, so we are paying more in taxes to send them to a great school. Now they want to send them to a crap school and keep are taxing high? HELL NO! Several people are getting together to sue the BOE and commissioners. I can't wait to see their comeuppance.

And to all that say redistricting is normal and happens every three years. I checked, all the moves from previous re-districting moved people from a 10 to a 10 school. I wouldn't mind if they moved me to another great school. But they want to move me to a crap school. That affects my child's future. Their education is important to me.

There are families that have been going to KES for years. They have invested their time and money into that school, to make it great for their kids. Now they have the nerve to tell them, go to Waxhaw ES or Parkwood MS and make that school great now. That's a nice slap in the face and FU. This will motivate people to NOT want to support the school. Why bother if the BOE will move you to another in a couple of years.

This is such BS I can't stand it.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
Parkwood has a much higher crime rate than Cuthbertson, that alone makes me dread this move. Moving kids from a safe school to a dangerous one is careless
All I can say is Amen... And if more people did their research as you did they can find out all that information.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
That's exactly what we went through. We moved to Union and bought a pretty expensive house, why was it so expensive? Because it was zoned to great schools like KES and Cutherbertson. I could have bought the same size house in the Parkwood district and paid 100k less. But we sacrificed to give our kids a good education. We can't afford private, so we are paying more in taxes to send them to a great school. Now they want to send them to a crap school and keep are taxing high? HELL NO! Several people are getting together to sue the BOE and commissioners. I can't wait to see their comeuppance.

And to all that say redistricting is normal and happens every three years. I checked, all the moves from previous re-districting moved people from a 10 to a 10 school. I wouldn't mind if they moved me to another great school. But they want to move me to a crap school. That affects my child's future. Their education is important to me.

There are families that have been going to KES for years. They have invested their time and money into that school, to make it great for their kids. Now they have the nerve to tell them, go to Waxhaw ES or Parkwood MS and make that school great now. That's a nice slap in the face and FU. This will motivate people to NOT want to support the school. Why bother if the BOE will move you to another in a couple of years.

This is such BS I can't stand it.
Sounds like we are in the same situation. It's pretty sad we have to go through this. I'm not looking forward to next Tuesdays meeting to find out who's in and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte