Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 02:04 PM

527 posts, read 743,929 times

Advertisements

I want to throw this out there as well... on Facebook and in meetings people are exposed by using their real names and in those environments I'd say 99% of the people are against the redistricting.

Funny, how it's only on this anonymous message board that there is overwhelming support for 'the plan'... things that make you go hmmmmm

Old 01-20-2014, 02:08 PM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
Forgive me for a moment. But what did a Millbridge ever do to anyone? Just a question because it seems like my subdivision is always part of a topic. The petition sent around to kick us out of the cluster or the whoever is 75% full gets to stay in the cluster etc? supposedly there was 3 members from Wesley Oaks who showed up at out community meeting yesterday to apologize and set the record straight that they have no involvement in that petition and are work very hard w the school to get to the source and take action. Or was that a ploy ? Millbridge happens to be one of the furthest away from the destined school but nobody seemed to care about that. Since most don't have that far or should I just say there is I think 1 other that's as far but 34 out of the 36 aren't.
I wasn't trying to single out Millbridge and apologize if taken that way.

I was trying to point out the absurdity of the Wesley Oaks example you mentioned. I'm glad some responsible adults came to apologize but we all know someone started the petition. By going off radar in the NextDoor website they can plan their strategy behind the scenes. I'm guessing these are the same folks complaining about lack of transparency with the BOE. Hypocritical? Nah....

Old 01-20-2014, 02:09 PM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
I want to throw this out there as well... on Facebook and in meetings people are exposed by using their real names and in those environments I'd say 99% of the people are against the redistricting.

Funny, how it's only on this anonymous message board that there is overwhelming support for 'the plan'... things that make you go hmmmmm
I don't want my house egged.

And you all seem more trustworthy regardless of our differing opinions.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:38 PM

189 posts, read 326,710 times
Quote:

I am a UCPS employee, I am a teacher at one of the schools smack in the middle of this thing. I have property, children and a career that will be impacted by the redistricting. I went through the redistricting in 2008 as well.

Many of my colleagues and I can no longer effectively do our jobs because of the overcrowding. Until I hear a viable alternative to the redistricting plan (and so far I have not) I do not see any other way to proceed.

I will not tell you my name because there's a pretty good chance I have taught or am currently teaching one of your children.

I do not want to know your name because there is a pretty good chance I have taught or am currently teaching one of your children.

I want what is best for my students, ALL of my students, period. I love my school, my community and my students.

I spend my whole day with your kids; they are bright, energetic, articulate, witty, sensitive, caring and humorous. I also know that they are strong, capable, adaptable and tenacious. Please stop selling my students short. They can handle any challenge placed in front of them, I have complete confidence in them. After all, I taught them.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:51 PM

630 posts, read 1,716,806 times
Quote:

No need to hmmm. It's easily explained. That's because 99% of the folks gravitating to those FB pages are being affected by and against the redistricting. People who aren't..aren't seeking those pages out. Here you have a good mix of against..for..and neutral.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:11 PM

103 posts, read 162,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Arguments that don't hold value:

2) The district is splitting up friendships, neighbors, and classmates!!!!.... therefore I'm going to take my kids to a charter school where there are less current neighbors, friends and classmates.
I think for some with young children, charter schools might be an option because 1) at least these parents will know where their children will be going to school and 2) the charter school might be much closer than their redistricted public school.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:16 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,426,274 times
This is a nonproductive vent…feel free to pass this by.

Most of you know that I have posted in this thread information as I have collected it. I predicted that the New Town Rd area would get redistricted up to Waxhaw Indian Trail Rd (I missed it by 1 neighborhood). I predicted that there would be shift in elementary feeders (I got it right but not the right school). I was slammed for rumor mongering and spreading hearsay. I’ve tried to keep the emotion out of this even though it will affect me and my kids. It troubles me to hear the anonymous comments that have been posted on various social media sites and at Change.org. It was immediately taken as how everyone affected by this drastic change in their life really felt. Well…in all honesty some folks probably do feel that way, but not close to a majority. But those not affected by this can no way shape and form know how any of us really feel. If you look below my name on this page, you’ll see that I am a native UC’er. I was born here. Early in my life, I got shipped off to Charlotte. I lived in a 900 sqft house on the Westside. I walked or road my bike to school, played baseball in the park, played football in the front yard and did everything a happy kid would do. Then one day, Charlotte schools decided to socially re-engineer its schools. When I entered the 7th grade, I got on a school bus at 6:00am for the very first time. I was sent to a place that I didn’t belong, a place that didn’t want me there. I can’t count the number of times we either went home early or never got off the bus. I went from a member of the National Junior Honor Society to almost flunking every class. We never could stay after school for any activities since we had to take the bus home. We couldn’t come to games at night, because it wasn’t safe for us to be there after dark. (We were told this by teachers and staff) For the next 3 years, I suffered from fear and anxiety, from being bullied and beaten, simply because someone said I didn’t belong there. We thought that we would get a reprieve as another round of redistricting came around, but sadly, I waved good bye to all the friends that I started in the first grade with as they went off to their school, in their neighborhood. I got back on the bus and headed back to hell. Those that say the environment doesn’t matter haven’t lived it. It does matter; it makes a difference on how people learn and how they grow. Living in fear, living without a sense of belonging to something is terribly wrong.

When I built my house here in the UC in 2001, we were in the Weddington district. My kids were going to Wesley Chapel and even though it was crowded, it was a good school, with good staff. They thrived there. One in 2008 day, we got redistricted to the Cuthbertson district and was shipped off to Newtown. Early there were struggles. The administration that first year was, to say the least unique. We persevered. We volunteered; we donated our time and our money. We made sure the teachers and staff knew who we were and that we were involved. My kids moved on to Cuthbertson Middle, and I have one very gifted and talented child and one that struggles. The gifted child has taken advantage of every opportunity to excel. My other child loves school and loves to learn, but still struggles. We have had her on an IEP, we have brought in extra tutors. We meet regularly with Cuthbertson’s fine staff and together we plan out the best ways for them to learn and to grow. The teachers and I have regularly scheduled discussions about my child’s progress. I have gotten the tutors looped in. Anything and everything that I can do, I will do, to ensure that both my children learn, live and grow in a productive and nurturing environment. To pay back what the school has given us; just like we did at Newtown, we volunteer, we contribute, we chaperone (especially hard headed boys).

Folks have said that all those people that got sent to Cuthbertson, should have not been sent there and if they hadn’t then there would not be as much acrimony as there is today. I would have been just fine staying in the Weddington district, since with this round; we are being pushed to Parkwood. Parkwood is a fine enough school, I suppose, regardless of what the test scores, crime figures and grad rates say. We have been told to just suck it up and deal; that redistricting is the only answer and that no one knows anything any better. Sadly, Parkwood is the 4th closest High School to my house; I have to drive by 2 schools closer to me to get there. I don’t know how any of that makes sense. Sucking it up, especially when it comes to my kids, isn’t in my nature.

The OP that talked about not supporting those that are against redistricting because it didn’t affect them and they have leaky roofs. I am really sorry you feel that way, because I would have certainly taken up the cause with you. I can’t recall anyone raising a stink about the roof issue until it came out in the trial. It is simply unacceptable for schools to be in that situation. Our elected officials at many levels have let us all down (but that’s a vent for a different day).

The OP from Millbridge, I don’t think that you’ll have much to worry about. I believe you’ll get your reprieve along with Wesley Oaks. The BOE will toss a few bones out to make it look like the community has won a battle or two. It makes good politics.

For me and my family…We are not about to start over with all this. We have worked too hard to establish a solid working and productive relationship with the teachers and staff. I simply won’t send my kids to a place where they aren’t welcomed. I refuse to put my kids in a situation where they have to have the slightest worry about their wellbeing. I know that environment matters, I’ve been there.

We are moving, we decided to give up our home of 13 years and move into another house. Interestingly enough, we are moving further away from Cuthbertson than we live now, but stay in the district.

No one is going to win here. Not the people displaced, nor those that are not. Children that get taken away from their classmates, team mates and teachers don’t win. They will never feel at home again, like they belong. Those with the leaky roofs will not get new roofs. The county and the BOE will continue to be at loggerheads for the unforeseeable future. Meanwhile houses keep going up, people keep moving in and the cycle continues to churn. Too bad our kids are the ones that that get tossed under the bus.
[/rant]

Old 01-20-2014, 03:46 PM

309 posts, read 765,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Anyone know if there was outrage or challenge to the 2010 Porter Ridge Middle School and High School Relief plan?
Legal challenge?
I was student teaching in PR then and I remember there being outrage and drama, but don't know if there were any lawsuits. I believer there was subdivision wrangling.

I seem to remember people knew it was definitely coming and needed, though.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:57 PM

527 posts, read 743,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
We are moving, we decided to give up our home of 13 years and move into another house. Interestingly enough, we are moving further away from Cuthbertson than we live now, but stay in the district.
Sorry it's come to that, but there are a lot of people that will be following in your footsteps. If the maps as drawn today pass, our family will be renting w/in the Cuthbertson cluster even though it means we'll have two payments until our house sells.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:09 PM

396 posts, read 972,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
I seem to remember people knew it was definitely coming and needed, though.
I think this is one of the keys to why this one is causing so much uproar. The vastness of this redistricting has caught so may of us off guard. Our kids schools are not overcrowded so we thought the most that would happen is that we would get some more kids into the schools from the overcrowded schools. We never thought we would be kicked out of our schools and forced to send our children twice as far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte