Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 10:06 AM

8 posts, read 13,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West&East View Post
Interesting comment. But if your assigned school is now Parkwood, you may not be able to make that request. Not sure how they would handle this...
The two neighborhoods (Millbridge and Lawson ) that are responsible for most of the Kensington overcrowding are closer to Waxhaw Elementary than they are to Marvin Elementary.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:39 AM

38 posts, read 57,787 times
Has anyone posted the BOC and BOD contact info here? I guess rather than venting we all need to be writing letters and making calls to the people who have the power over our financial and educational well being, and hope that ethics will trump politics.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 7,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
where are you guys getting this year's 20 day membership numbers? I've only seen last year's and cant find them on the site. Can you share a link?
The 20 day enrollment numbers were in this document at last week's Facilities Committee meeting.

Link here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/ucps-...39611136128431

Old 11-13-2013, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug71 View Post
Has anyone posted the BOC and BOD contact info here? I guess rather than venting we all need to be writing letters and making calls to the people who have the power over our financial and educational well being, and hope that ethics will trump politics.
See here under Notes Section all the BOE members and their contact info as well as when they are up for re-election

https://www.facebook.com/UCPSRezone

Old 11-13-2013, 12:35 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Ok, so by your logic, those million dollar houses in Marvin pay more than you. So when they have to cut teacher assistance, its ok for them to cut yours and keep Marvin's. They pay more. When its time for new laptops, why don't you take Marvin's old ones, Marvin will get state of the art. They pay more. Hell, we shouldn't even have built sport facilities at Cuthberson, lets just have sports at Marvin. While we're at it, lets just put the 200 extra kids at Marvin to Cuthbertson, and not even redistrict you. They can all just sit criss cross apple sauce in the gym, as long as Marvin kids aren't crowded. Work for you??

There's ALWAYS going to be someone that pays more than you! Every. single. kid. has the same right to a great education, no other way around it!!
False argument. I'm not talking about cuts, I taking about being able to attend a school local to your house because that is what people paid for. People pay more to live near better performing schools. The county and school use the property tax system to get more money from those home owners. If they didn't care they'd pay less for homes out in eastern Union. Why bother paying more money for a house in Weddington if you zoned for a school in Monroe? And people will not. And housing prices will drop and less revenue will be brought in and the county looses. It has nothing to do with the RIGHT of any kid to get an education. They all are getting one.

You still didn't address why people in boarder areas should get the shaft every 4 years or why people should bother donating time or money to their local school when it will be a wasted personal investment. And don't say nice attitude.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:03 PM

238 posts, read 567,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveWaxhaw View Post
The two neighborhoods (Millbridge and Lawson ) that are responsible for most of the Kensington overcrowding are closer to Waxhaw Elementary than they are to Marvin Elementary.
By less than a mile

Old 11-13-2013, 01:12 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
False argument. I'm not talking about cuts, I taking about being able to attend a school local to your house because that is what people paid for. People pay more to live near better performing schools. The county and school use the property tax system to get more money from those home owners. If they didn't care they'd pay less for homes out in eastern Union. Why bother paying more money for a house in Weddington if you zoned for a school in Monroe? And people will not. And housing prices will drop and less revenue will be brought in and the county looses. It has nothing to do with the RIGHT of any kid to get an education. They all are getting one.

You still didn't address why people in boarder areas should get the shaft every 4 years or why people should bother donating time or money to their local school when it will be a wasted personal investment. And don't say nice attitude.
But going to a certain school is not a guarantee. If this has always been the way UC has operated then it's starting to seem like the prices shouldn't have been that high to begin with. Although I agree that it is probably in the county's best interest to keep property values up, and putting kids on a bus for an hour a day probably isn't the best way to do it.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:19 PM

625 posts, read 489,196 times
I've been following this thread since we have friends and co-workers moving into Union Cty. We were originally planning on moving there but chose Fort Mill, SC instead because of the costs. The only houses in Union that met the criteria for what we were looking for were zomed for Parkwood and we didn't want to be zoned for a lower perfoming school.

Anyway, one question. Fort Mill just had a similar issue with schools being capped and now a rezoning / redistricting after adding two new elementary schools. From what I understand though, Fort Mill Township charges builders a fee for every new house that they build. I'm sure the builder then adds the fee to the cost of the home. This money is used for the necessary updates to town services to accomodate the increased population.

Has this been considered in UC? Is this something that can be done?

Old 11-13-2013, 01:24 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post

I'm not saying people on the border should get the shaft, or that it doesn't matter, or that I wouldn't be doing everything in my power to change it, or that I wouldn't be considering moving or putting my kid in private school. If I were in your shoes, I would be concerned, alarmed, and would be searching for alternatives. I get it, I do.

My point is that it isn't all a conspiracy theory. If you look at the map, the school locations, the current boundary lines, and the enrollment numbers.... it makes sense. FACT: First priority is safety, and you can't squeeze unlimited children into safe locations during a tornado, lock down, or other emergency. FACT: You have to relieve overcrowding and utilize your currently available space. FACT: You have to adjust the numbers geographically so that it makes sense.

So there isn't much choice to where you put people on the border of the county. They really usually have one logical place to go..... maybe, just maybe, two. Neighborhoods in the middle of the county where there are FIVE boundary lines meeting are naturally going to be subject to more shuffling. I'm not saying its good, fair, right, anybody is better than anyone else..... I'm just saying it is logical.

Now just as a piece of advice, because I do think you should write letters, emails, go to the meetings, etc to advocate for what is best for your child:
When you don't take the facts into consideration and try to understand where the BOE is coming from in their decision, when you come of with a sense of entitlement because of how much you paid for your home, when you accuse those making decisions of making them for political ploys, when you blame the county for growth when you are living in one of the neighborhoods that was a direct contribution to the MUCH bigger overcrowding mess we had a few years ago.... you won't be taken seriously.

Print out the maps, look over the numbers, see which schools are crowded and which has room, look at the projection of growth, and seek an educated alternative. If the projection for growth shows the need for another school in the next 4 years, lobby hard with Union County Commissioners, as they will be the ones responsible for approving those funds. Base your requests on facts and not on emotion, and you will get further.

Its a long shot, and you might end up in Parkwood. But also remember.... Parkwood was where we were ALL zoned before Marvin, Cuthbertson, and Weddington were built..... not very long ago. And elementary school kids went to Wesley Chapel. Imagine picking up those two places if they were car riders. Those living in Hunter Oaks rode a bus ALL THE WAY to Parkwood. They did. They survived. And you were the one that said that the school is what you put into it. That is very true. Parental involvement is the primary indicator if your child will succeed, and you are obviously very involved.

Nobody likes change, I don't. I don't blame you for being upset, I wouldn't want my kid to be moved either. Even from Parkwood to Marvin.... I value stability for my kid, but we can't all get what we want. But this isn't a these people vs. those people kind of thing. I really don't want to be a part of the animosity this thread has turned out to be, and I apologize if I offended you with anything I said. I'm just trying to spell out the facts and point out that the county has different needs throughout that all need to be addressed... there were overcrowding issues before most of us got here, and the county is doing the best they can.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:25 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post
I've been following this thread since we have friends and co-workers moving into Union Cty. We were originally planning on moving there but chose Fort Mill, SC instead because of the costs. The only houses in Union that met the criteria for what we were looking for were zomed for Parkwood and we didn't want to be zoned for a lower perfoming school.

Anyway, one question. Fort Mill just had a similar issue with schools being capped and now a rezoning / redistricting after adding two new elementary schools. From what I understand though, Fort Mill Township charges builders a fee for every new house that they build. I'm sure the builder then adds the fee to the cost of the home. This money is used for the necessary updates to town services to accomodate the increased population.

Has this been considered in UC? Is this something that can be done?
Yes, and county commissioners voted it down. And we shall all remember that come elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte