Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 07:35 PM

55 posts, read 72,328 times

Advertisements

UCTaxpayer - I will visit the page you refer to and make sure that there is absolutely no CAPS negativity going forward. Understand, people online are not always who they say they are, and some people get a kick out of stirring up trouble. That's very hard to stop. We should all just disregard the extremist stuff. Time for some real conversations. I wish I could get CAPS, the BOE, and the BOCC in a room together. Then we'd get things rolling, and get rid of a few lawsuits.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:52 PM

124 posts, read 161,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSMEMBER View Post
UCTaxpayer - I will visit the page you refer to and make sure that there is absolutely no CAPS negativity going forward. Understand, people online are not always who they say they are, and some people get a kick out of stirring up trouble. That's very hard to stop. We should all just disregard the extremist stuff. Time for some real conversations. I wish I could get CAPS, the BOE, and the BOCC in a room together. Then we'd get things rolling, and get rid of a few lawsuits.
Union County Residents (United) for Protection of Our Schools
https://www.facebook.com/groups/UCRFPOS/

Ask the Candidate - Union County, NC
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1411908802396984/

There's the two links that a lot of them hang out on so to speak. Oh, I know precisely that some people online are not who they say they are, been there, done that, with a few people, lol. I think if you visit these sites it will be very eye opening for you and then you might get around to those real conversations you wish to have. If there weren't main players in CAPS on either of those pages then it probably would be easy to ignore the "extremists" but I think you will find that some of them are the "extremists". Good luck moving forward. I mean that genuinely, it's past time that people start working together.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:53 PM

149 posts, read 535,843 times
Quote:
Capsmember, the site is a Facebook page, so members post under their real names. Two of the most aggressive, divisive, and offensive posters on the page are officers of CAPS. They set the tone, and the rest follow along.

Your posts here are such a positive change from what most of us have read from CAPS. I hope you, and others that share your approach, are able to have influence- and maybe enlist more support by changing the impression many have of the group. To me (and like you I can only speak for me) their goal is limited to obtaining funding for the lawsuit to stop redistricting and their mentality is very much us vs them. With 'them' being those of us that support some extent of redistricting, but also support a cooperative and proffesional relationship with our school administration, and EXCELLENT schools for all of our kids.

Dialogue is always good, and again, thank you for joining in this conversation.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd1 View Post
Please stay away from it then – it has haunted me for several months. I truly wish I never looked at the site. It has really made me look at certain people in a whole new way.

Just for example todays topics include (as UCtaxpayer mentioned):

- Topic 1: Pathetic people that did not vote (the reality is it is not the people that did no vote – it is the fact they did not win all 3 seats) – lets disregard the fact that 2 of the people running only voted 2 times over the last several years - one of which won - and I do hope he has influence over the board and does not become his wife’s puppet – he seems to have potential – but I struggle with some of the comments his wife made several months ago on United

- Topic 2: Refresh my memory – what company did Kevin work for – Get over it - how many times do we need to cover this – Kevin is trying to support his district – you may or may not agree with him – but he is not getting rich as a result of his assignment to the BOE – he is representing his district and has no hidden agendas - he just dares to be honest and state his opinions

and the ongoing question i have for the CAPS members driving this dialogue - what is the value ? Lets stop judging others and focusing on what we can change.
Dang it Jimmy, you keep making such good points and it won't let me rep you!! lol

1. I totally agree with your assessment there!

2. Absolutely, I'm in district 2 as most of Parkwood, Forest Hills, Wingate etc are as well. I've said that time and again, Kevin might not have the most pleasing way with words, but he's working hard. He was used by a few on the BOCC, fed lies about the school system and spending, he wrote blogs before being elected critical of the school system based on those lies. He was talked into running, he won, then when he finally had the chance to look at the "real records and numbers as opposed to the ones he was fed" he got mad because he saw how the schools/kids were dumped on and how he was used for political means by those few. That's why he spearheaded the lawsuit against the BOCC when they wouldn't give them the additional funds they needed for repairs. The citizens on the jury saw that the schools had been short changed for years hence the verdict and award. He was actually considered a "hero" by a lot of parents, even those in the western side of the county, even by some who belong to CAPS, then the redistricting, lol. All of a sudden he's a devil according to most of them, they made baseless accusations against him. He's just a project manager for the company he works for, he isn't into sales, he doesn't own any of it, doesn't get commission, he punches a time clock like every other Joe and Josephine Blow. They even considered boycotting the businesses the BOE worked for, picket outside their homes and outside their place of employment, send emails to his employer, phone his employer (actually they were going to do this to all of the BOE who voted for redistricting), interfere in their private lives to make them miserable. True, he's not the most elegant in getting his point across, he's a straight from the hip shooter. But when you have people making nasty comments about you via Facebook, via Twitter, attacking your child because of your work, well, he's only human and he's lashed back a time or two, anyone would when you make politics as personal as some of these people have.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMARIA View Post
Capsmember, the site is a Facebook page, so members post under their real names. Two of the most aggressive, divisive, and offensive posters on the page are officers of CAPS. They set the tone, and the rest follow along.

Your posts here are such a positive change from what most of us have read from CAPS. I hope you, and others that share your approach, are able to have influence- and maybe enlist more support by changing the impression many have of the group. To me (and like you I can only speak for me) their goal is limited to obtaining funding for the lawsuit to stop redistricting and their mentality is very much us vs them. With 'them' being those of us that support some extent of redistricting, but also support a cooperative and proffesional relationship with our school administration, and EXCELLENT schools for all of our kids.

Dialogue is always good, and again, thank you for joining in this conversation.
Yep, this! Good post RMARIA!

Old 05-10-2014, 08:43 PM

451 posts, read 711,840 times
WTF...

You go a way for a day of snowflake sports and come back to a Buddhist group therapy session...

Old 05-10-2014, 08:51 PM

549 posts, read 679,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
WTF...

You go a way for a day of snowflake sports and come back to a Buddhist group therapy session...
Spin, spin, and more spin. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... One good thing though---CAPSMEMBER is going to "make sure that there is absolutely no CAPS negativity going forward."

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 05-10-2014 at 09:42 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 02:17 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Waldokitty - You have stated on of my concerns, that redistricting could happen repeatedly. I think the BOE has a rule that it shouldn't happen more than every 3 years, but don't quote me on that. If there are numbers problems next year, I worry about the grandfathering being pulled back right away.....
If it is not in writing, then it doesn't exist.

In the litany of documents delivered from the BOE, is there anything where there is an official stated BOE rule that pupil assignment can't change every year? Or NC state statute that would prevent it? I don't think either exists. What has been in writing, and is on their website, is that assignment can change. (presumably at any time). Seems to me that if a secret rule like this did exist, it would have been on the local news by now given the zeal to pick apart every sentence ever written by anyone doing business with the schools.

It's fascinating that otherwise competent and reasonable adults will make major investments in property based on assumptions and expectations of schools that simply don't exist. This seems to be the case here.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:08 AM

46 posts, read 68,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
Spin, spin, and more spin. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... One good thing though---CAPSMEMBER is going to "make sure that there is absolutely no CAPS negativity going forward."
I think I've seen that in many of the Facebook posts from the CAPS Prez....

Old 05-11-2014, 07:38 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
I feel bad for Connie, I honestly do. Like I said, I think there were some very personal disputes brewing long before CAPS came together. Remember, most of us didn't even know each other until after the vote. As a group, we don't believe in ANY personal attacks, period. It doesn't help the situation one bit. We can all completely agree on that.
Welcome Capsmember. It's good to hear your perspective so thank you for joining the forum. I agree with most of what you are saying, but in reality the CAPS leadership have been the ones launching the attacks. Here's the baseless report from the local fox station last week that was setup by the CAPS president and vice president and stars the president's husband and one of the VPs. Mr. Hillegas and Mr. Asbra manufactured this accusation against a citizen of the county on election eve.

Parents say "side-deal" in UCPS redistricting - myfoxcarolinas.com

Jump back to page 429 here and you can read the entire email chain between Connie and Dr Webb, along with Connie's comments to the accusations. Why wasn't the entire email shared? Because it doesn't fit their narrative and doesn't show any blackmail or side deal.

This is why most people in the county don't trust CAPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte