Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:54 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
Recently moved to Charlotte from NY.
I'm not a foodie but I really MISS good food. Greek, chinese, mexican, thai....I'll take anything at this point.
My husband says that good and any of those types of food is an oxymoron. Give us some good fried chicken or barbecued pork and we are happy. When you hear that one of the schools in the surrounding counties, especially Union, is having a charity barbecue, go get some of the best food you will ever taste. I have no doubt that Union County has the best barbecue cooks in the United States. Best I have ever tasted comes from the Haywood brothers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 10:11 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,200,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I did and I am a native of North Carolina. Hated Charlotte but love Union County.

The OP will probably hear fewer horns blowing. Most people learn not to blow their horns when the person they are blowing at pulls out their gun. FYI LOL

People don't blow their horns as much because we're not so strung out and stressed. It has nothing to do with fear of deadly reprisal. No sense in reinforcing negative stereotypes...

Old 08-01-2014, 04:29 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,497,335 times
Moving from San Diego to Charlotte? Wow. I'd love to do the opposite.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:43 PM

13 posts, read 17,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCali View Post
I do feel like i need a change because i lived in SD all my life. I'm more concerned with things to do in NC, if there's great food and lots of activities then I'm game. Thank for your opinion
What kinds of activities are you looking for?

Old 08-01-2014, 05:08 PM

488 posts, read 799,397 times
There is no good SoCal like mexican food here. Period. Other than that (and the lack of an In N Out) it is great!

Old 08-01-2014, 06:50 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
There is no good SoCal like mexican food here. Period. Other than that (and the lack of an In N Out) it is great!
I know it's been said a thousand times before, but I think as long as someone moves anywhere new with a mind to embrace the best of what that region has to offer, rather than lamenting it not having the best of where you're coming from, you'll be golden.

Plus, it gives you a good reason to go back and visit where you left on vacation, so you can get your fix of the things you miss!

Old 08-01-2014, 07:20 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

People don't blow their horns as much because we're not so strung out and stressed. It has nothing to do with fear of deadly reprisal. No sense in reinforcing negative stereotypes...
I like to keep that negative going so people will stay off their horns. And you know it has happened. The only good reason for blowing a horn is to scare a wild animal out of the road so it won't get run over. Or to let someone know they are heading in the direction of a space another car is occupying. Using a horn to say you are going too slow, or that light just changed before they have the chance to check for stragglers going through red lights, or you are in my way, get out, etc. is unacceptable behavior.

Like to get them trained before they get here or we could turn into a place like they came from and we certainly don't want that if he is coming from San Diego.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:20 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,444,566 times
Quote:

Man i miss the Mexican food i used to get back at Oceanside and those late nights at in and out (tear) ,but i like the food scene here. Nice burrito place off south blvd and the owner is from San Diego. I almost cried when they told me they make Carne Asada Fries. Acutally my boyfriend cried harder lol. Litte taste of home right down the street. Its called Burrito Factory. (P.S. my bf is from San Diego)

The Burrito Factory
5920 South Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28219
Open today
11:00 am – 9:00 pm

Old 08-02-2014, 06:20 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,659,336 times
Quote:
Why would Charlotte have SoCal like food?

Old 08-02-2014, 06:46 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Why would Charlotte have SoCal like food?
For the same reason any city has food that isn't local. If there is enough of a demand for it, then someone will take advantage of the demand. Good SoCal Mexican is good food. It's not out of the realm of possibility that one day there will be an eatery in Charlotte that provides it. I've had amazing real Mexican food at a dinky hole in the wall in Boston which is pretty darn far away from the Mexican border.

See, I think people should embrace what a city/region has to offer, but I also don't think there is anything to gain from things remaining stagnant and unchanging, just because it's how it's been done til now. i think that if Charlotte continues to grow as it is, there will reach a point of demand for more diversity in restaurant offerings that make it an economic viability for investors to open those restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte