Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 02:26 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawson View Post
To begin with, try Southpark, It beats Ft Lauderdale hands down in all you mentioned.
you beat me to it because I was editing out all that was available in the Southpark area.

Whole Foods, Earth Fair, Southpark Mall, McCormick, Ruth Chris, Cheesecake Factory, Eddies Place, Leroy Fox, Pizza Peel, Kioshi Sushi...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 03:29 PM

13 posts, read 17,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCali View Post
I have kids and I take them out on the weekends to Theme Parks like Disneyland, Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm, Six Flags, Seaworld, Aquatica etc....for my husband and I we like dance (hip hop) and have a few drinks. Does Charlotte have these type of places?
Yes, we have an amusement park called Carowinds, and there are places to go out and dance and have drinks. Charlotte has around 800,000 people and the area has over 2 million. Every "normal" thing you can do in a city you can do here.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:22 PM

830 posts, read 1,529,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
you beat me to it because I was editing out all that was available in the Southpark area.

Whole Foods, Earth Fair, Southpark Mall, McCormick, Ruth Chris, Cheesecake Factory, Eddies Place, Leroy Fox, Pizza Peel, Kioshi Sushi...
Within 5 miles of us is uptown - and all the restaurants, theaters, stadiums, museums, etc. We take advantage of them all the time…went to the Knights game and the Liverpool - AC Milan game over the weekend, and the drive is <3 miles. Same with seeing Porgy and Bess at the Blumenthal a couple of weeks ago.

Numerous restaurants - some chain, but lots of independent ones as well within 5 miles, and many much closer. Nan and Byrons, Liberty, 300 East, 131 Main, Pikes Soda Fountain, Prices Chicken Coop, Phat Burrito and many others….

You can live within in a 5 mile bubble and have great schools - if you are zoned for Eastover, Dilworth, Selwyn elementary schools you should be in good shape.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:22 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Within 5 miles of us is uptown - and all the restaurants, theaters, stadiums, museums, etc. We take advantage of them all the time…went to the Knights game and the Liverpool - AC Milan game over the weekend, and the drive is <3 miles. Same with seeing Porgy and Bess at the Blumenthal a couple of weeks ago.

Numerous restaurants - some chain, but lots of independent ones as well within 5 miles, and many much closer. Nan and Byrons, Liberty, 300 East, 131 Main, Pikes Soda Fountain, Prices Chicken Coop, Phat Burrito and many others….

You can live within in a 5 mile bubble and have great schools - if you are zoned for Eastover, Dilworth, Selwyn elementary schools you should be in good shape.
Although I've been in the area for a couple of years (and a NC native), I am just beginning to learn uptown (downtown...I hate the reference uptown) and inner neighborhood areas this past year since my company relocated our offices to downtown. Charlotte is sneaky cool with great neighborhoods and independent stores and restaurants for those willing to explore. After tons of misinformation and negativity on CD I was ready for sort of a let down but have been pleasantly surprised.

I got to thinking that maybe those in the know kinda play along with the nonsense knowing once the secret is out, there goes the neighborhood. This city has tons of potential and on the verge of a royal urban explosion...well, from a new south perspective. Just worried the highways can't keep up.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post

Unfortunately Uptown is 2 whole miles outside of my 5 mile bubble so I never get to experience it... lol.

Noda is 8 miles away and Plaza Midwood is 6 miles away, its tough but I make it work.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:51 PM

830 posts, read 1,529,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Although I've been in the area for a couple of years (and a NC native), I am just beginning to learn uptown (downtown...I hate the reference uptown) and inner neighborhood areas this past year since my company relocated our offices to downtown. Charlotte is sneaky cool with great neighborhoods and independent stores and restaurants for those willing to explore. After tons of misinformation and negativity on CD I was ready for sort of a let down but have been pleasantly surprised.

I got to thinking that maybe those in the know kinda play along with the nonsense knowing once the secret is out, there goes the neighborhood. This city has tons of potential and on the verge of a royal urban explosion...well, from a new south perspective. Just worried the highways can't keep up.
Agree that Charlotte is more than just a collection of suburbs. You may have to look harder here than in some other places, but there are interesting things and places all around. And all those people moving into the new condos/apartments going up all along the light rail line between Uptown and Scaleybark? It won't be chain restaurants that they are looking for (aside from maybe the upscale steak houses)

Old 08-06-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
What is up with this "chain" restaurant thing. I sometimes with we had some where I live. Instead, we get people that move here from other states and in their minds plan to present something new and unchartered in this backwoods (their mindless stereotype) part of the U.S. In nine out of ten cases, they have opened a place just like the numerous others that were lousy and went out of business. In my opinion, places like P.F. Changs are always a welcomed site.

I suppose I am much more travelled than the ones that complain, but I can attest that Charlotte certainly has no more chain restaurants than any other city of comparable size. And, even of they seem to be overrepresented there is no shortage of momma and poppa places. Let your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages (or use google.)

Person from San Diego, you will not find the number of chain restaurants in the Charlotte area disturbing. Come check out the area yourself. These message boards always have the "experts and know-it-alls" that are totally off key and somehow feel their misrepresentations make them the admired ones.
A lot of people on CD live in the burbs to get more house or a "better" school and then they complain about driving distance and chain restaurants.

There are tons of local restaurants but one has to get in the car and visit them. They aren't going to fly to your front door.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:49 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
What is up with this "chain" restaurant thing. I sometimes with we had some where I live. Instead, we get people that move here from other states and in their minds plan to present something new and unchartered in this backwoods (their mindless stereotype) part of the U.S. In nine out of ten cases, they have opened a place just like the numerous others that were lousy and went out of business. In my opinion, places like P.F. Changs are always a welcomed site.

I suppose I am much more travelled than the ones that complain, but I can attest that Charlotte certainly has no more chain restaurants than any other city of comparable size. And, even of they seem to be overrepresented there is no shortage of momma and poppa places. Let your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages (or use google.)

Person from San Diego, you will not find the number of chain restaurants in the Charlotte area disturbing. Come check out the area yourself. These message boards always have the "experts and know-it-alls" that are totally off key and somehow feel their misrepresentations make them the admired ones.
Its very simple..

There's a reason why there are no 'chain' BBQ places in north carolina. The natives know better and prefer individual 'mom and pop' BBQ places, because quite frankly, they can make it better than any 'chain' out there...

The chain BBQ 'might' be palatable, but will never be better than that place in Shelby, or Bubba's, or any place in Lexington....

Instead of BBQ, you can susbstitute that for pizza, etc....

get it?

Old 08-06-2014, 01:56 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Its very simple..

There's a reason why there are no 'chain' BBQ places in north carolina. The natives know better and prefer individual 'mom and pop' BBQ places, because quite frankly, they can make it better than any 'chain' out there...

The chain BBQ 'might' be palatable, but will never be better than that place in Shelby, or Bubba's, or any place in Lexington....

Instead of BBQ, you can susbstitute that for pizza, etc....

get it?
Smithfields Chicken and BBQ (eastern NC)...trust me, I know certain mom and pops shop do it better but you are referring to regional specialties versus non-chain/chains. Should I get miffed if I moved to Denver (CO) and can't find great Chicago style pizza, etc. etc? I'm sure Denver has some great locally based pizza joints (as does every region) and places that sell NY and Chicago style pizza.

Different parts of the country have their own specialties and Charlotte/NC is no different. Charlotte has its fair share of non-chains and chains, some are good and some subpar like anyplace else. Whether it's steak, Mexican, ribs, etc...it all depends on the region of the country.

There are certain chains like Pappadeuxs Seafood Kitchen (nearest in Atlanta) and Roti Mediterranean Grill (Chi,DC, NY) I wish would expand here or somewhere in NC.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:05 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
I don't disagree with you but the other poster didn't understand about this 'chain' thing.

Yes, some chains are ok, however if you really want the best, you search out mom and pop places...that's goes for
BBQ or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte