Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:29 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Barb and CG! Glad to post my experiences.

I wanted to comment about Pineville. You are right - there is really no way to even tell where Pineville starts and CLT stops, IMO. It all has run together and I doubt the passer-by would even realize what is P'ville and what is CLT. There is multi-family housing that I think is in S. CLT off Johnston Road (behind Lowe's) that has had problems w/ vandalism and car theft this past year. I have noticed on PD logs that most of the crime seems to cluster around multi-family housing and larceny off Hwy 51 at businesses along those areas. Also, altho I have never witnessed any crime myself - or ever felt uneasy at Carolina Place Mall - I have heard there have been muggings and car theft there (I think the parking lots are susceptible to that type of thing).

I still go over there and just pay attention - and choose to go in the day. I had heard that several muggings took place in the day, so I am just careful where I park and I pay attention. I am this way every place I go, so I am no more vigilant than I am anywhere else.

What surprises me is I was visiting a friend in Hickory, and she said something about - good thing I was close to SouthPark and didn't have to go to Carolina Place Mall - b/c of all the crime there. I was surprised that outside the CLT area people seem to have opinions as to what is safe here. I told her - I will go there whenever it is more convenient but I am about equi-distant from both Malls. She was very surprised I would shop there - said she had heard there was a lot of gang activity there. I asked how she formed those opinions and she said - well from the Charlotte Obs. and from the News!!!

I think media has a huge role to play in how crime in perceived in this region. I shop at quite a few businesses along that corridor and I have never seen or experienced anything to indicate there is "a lot of gang activity" or crime there (during the day, anyway). Just amazes me how News reports hype things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 07:49 AM

Default I have a question

Would you all please comment on the area around Latta Plantation? Is that a desirable place to plan an evening event?

Old 01-04-2008, 08:30 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Would you all please comment on the area around Latta Plantation? Is that a desirable place to plan an evening event?
Do you mean in Latta Plantation? While LP is off of Beatties Ford Rd., I think it's well north of the problem areas. LP itself is a wonderful park and my wife and I went there a few weeks ago. I couldn't BELIEVE how many horse stables they had and how big the park itself was. It has some great walking trails and horse trails and of course it leads to Mountain Island Lake. I'm not sure where you are trying to have an event, but I myself would feel safe to have one close by.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Do you mean in Latta Plantation? While LP is off of Beatties Ford Rd., I think it's well north of the problem areas. LP itself is a wonderful park and my wife and I went there a few weeks ago. I couldn't BELIEVE how many horse stables they had and how big the park itself was. It has some great walking trails and horse trails and of course it leads to Mountain Island Lake. I'm not sure where you are trying to have an event, but I myself would feel safe to have one close by.
Yes, sorry - I didn't state that well at all! In Latta Plantation. It looks wonderful from what I have seen online. There is a group that meets there that I would like to join. They meet at nite and Beatties Ford makes me nervous, but w/ your saying it is well N . . . I am going to drive over there during the day so I can become more familiar with it. Sounds like a great place for a day trip for family, as well. Thank you!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
That portion of Beatties Ford Road is extremely safe mostly rural area.
From Sunset Road and Beatties Ford til it ends at highway 73.
It was a little challenging for me to locate it but pay attention to the nature signs and there is a old church with graveyard on the right and Neck Road is on your left (The road Latta is located). Once you past McCoy Road on Beatties Ford start to pay attention to your left and if you reach Hambright Road you have past it. The actual park may be a mile or more down Neck Road.

I usually go there to kayak but they have ample amount of places to set up a cookout and a few shelters. Carolina Raptor Center is also located there but I have not been to it. I am scared I will get depressed.
Here is a few photos I took at the park
http://www.city-data.com/forum/1344760-post23.html

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-04-2008 at 09:04 AM..

Old 01-04-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
That portion of Beatties Ford Road is extremely safe mostly rural area.
From Sunset Road and Beatties Ford til it ends at highway 73.
It was a little challenging for me to locate it but pay attention to the nature signs and there is a old church with graveyard on the right and Neck Road is on your left (The road Latta is located). Once you past McCoy Road on Beatties Ford start to pay attention to your left and if you reach Hambright Road you have past it. The actual park may be a mile or more down Neck Road.

I usually go there to kayak but they have ample amount of places to set up a cookout and a few shelters. Carolina Raptor Center is also located there but I have not been to it. I am scared I will get depressed.
Here is a few photos I took at the park
http://www.city-data.com/forum/1344760-post23.html
Are you saying Sunset and Beatties Ford is safe? That's too close to the hood for me! I think a nice boundary line is the future 485 or Mount Holly-Huntersville Rd. Latta Plantation is a mile or two on the left north of Mt. Holly Huntersville Rd with the entrance across the old Presbyterian Church with the historic stone wall. I don't think you can miss the church.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:22 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,909,641 times
Posted by Sunny: I have not been to it (the Raptor center.) I am scared I will get depressed.

Oh, Sunny, I don't think you'd be depressed at the Raptor center. Yes, there are some sad stories of birds who have been shot or in some way mistreated by humans, but in general, I think that this place is a testament to how well a few energetic and caring humans can help protect species and make-up for the damage done by other humans.
Besides it's just plain interesting to see the birds up close. My sister and I go out there every time she comes to Charlotte, and she supports it financially even though she lives in Minnesota. My kids used to love it when they were little - no sadness there.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:32 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
Alright- I'll join in. I live in Steele Creek, which has gotten some negative press in the other thread, but I'm no pollyanna- there are rough spots. However, the Steele Creek area is overall a safe place. I know a couple of you have your own experiences that are a contradiction to what I'm saying, but I have to confess that I have not witnessed any kind of crime in my own neighborhood. I live on a dead-end street off a dead-end street in a neighborhood of modest 10-15 year old homes priced around 200s or so. Perhaps I'm in a good pocket, but I "feel" safe where I live. Of course I realize perception is not always reality, but I do know my neighbors and they know me. We have a neighborhood watch, and word spreads quickly up and down the street if someone notices a strange car or an unknown person walking around. So there. My little piece of Steele Creek is safe.
I live in Steele Creek as well and I must agree. I'm a young single woman and I live alone. Yes there is crime but I think it's important to keep everything in perspective. At about 47 square miles the Steele Creek area is bigger than Huntersville (31.1 square miles.).

Old 01-05-2008, 10:36 AM

Awe, shucks....my first sticky!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:52 AM

396 posts, read 1,434,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Awe, shucks....my first sticky!
As the old commercial use to say, "You've EARNED it!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte