Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:05 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I actually did this to slow down a group of teens who refused to stop cutting doughnuts in my cul de sac (in Mint Hill) years ago, LOL. From then on they always turned around in the driveway they were in and never came down to the cul de sac again
Well I think it can't hurt to try if by chance we are awake the next time they role in at 3am or so. This would be a great thing to do as a neighborhood, but we are still hoping for a watch program. Even if we could get the theives off our KB side, we still have over 1,000 homes in our development, so chances are they would just move on to another builder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 05:28 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Here's the general rule of thumb for crime threads:

If you feel very safe and are comfortable with your surroundings, crime stats are generally meaningful (trending up/down/flat, etc.)

If you've been the victim of a crime or see crimes occurring around your place of residence, for you crime has increased 100% and all other trends are meaningless.

These two general concepts will shape your point of view and will determine your outlook and feelings on this subject.

If you are prospecting Charlotte to be your new city, you will want to consider a few things:

You may be looking at nice homes, relatively cheaper rents, warmer climates, etc. All good things, however you and several thousand other people all have the same idea. Charlotte is growing rapidly and there will be infrastructure issues across the board with anything that grows this fast. Many people will have moved before you, you'll be moving down with a lot of people, and many others will come after you.

If you are looking for a home, generally speaking, avoid very dense home sites (with zero lot lines). If you can borrow a cup of sugar from your neighbor by simply extending your hand out the window then your probably to close.

Avoid builders who offer 100% financing or that don't have at least a 2 year waiting period for renting a home or selling it (flipping it). You want to know that like yourself, your neighbors have a vested interest in their home (i.e., they put 20% of their hard earned money) and intend to live there and not attempt to flip or rent it to whom ever can come up with the first/last months rent and a security deposit.

Call your car or home owner's insurance company and find out how your rates will adjust (up or down) based on your proposed location. The insurance companies have far greater science involved in this and last I looked, none of them post on internet forums.

Imagine your new development filled out, and the 20 acres of open space now becomes another new development or a shopping center is put up in your backyard with a big brick wall. Remember, the growth doesn't stop because you signed a lease agreement or P&S.

Get a good RE broker (even for apartments) and be very specific about what you want. I'm sure you're a very smart person and can research on your own (like you're doing now), however a buyer's broker sole purpose is to represent your interests. If you lead your broker to believe cost is your only factor then you'll simply get cheap housing. Tell the broker you want safety, low density, etc. They should be able to help you meet much of your critical selection criteria.

You can greatly reduce the frustrating related to moving to a new area and reduce the likelihood of finding yourself in a bad situation.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:27 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,238,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Just wondering...have you ever considered sneaking outside when you see a vanload of theives down the street doing this and throwing a bucket of carpenters nails all across the street??
I'm not even sure this is legal... Way to go LM, you are increasing Charlotte's crime rate!

Old 01-09-2008, 02:05 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
I'm not even sure this is legal... Way to go LM, you are increasing Charlotte's crime rate!
I seem to have the theory though that if they never get caught (stealing from houses) neither will I. Nails, who's nails, those aren't my nails. Chuckle.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
I seem to have the theory though that if they never get caught (stealing from houses) neither will I. Nails, who's nails, those aren't my nails. Chuckle.
Right!

I am a good neighbor, as are all those who live right around me - so mess with my street or neighbors and I will be the biggest pain in your neck (or tires!) possible

Old 01-10-2008, 08:44 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Default Excellent advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Here's the general rule of thumb for crime threads:

If you feel very safe and are comfortable with your surroundings, crime stats are generally meaningful (trending up/down/flat, etc.)

If you've been the victim of a crime or see crimes occurring around your place of residence, for you crime has increased 100% and all other trends are meaningless.

These two general concepts will shape your point of view and will determine your outlook and feelings on this subject.

If you are prospecting Charlotte to be your new city, you will want to consider a few things:

You may be looking at nice homes, relatively cheaper rents, warmer climates, etc. All good things, however you and several thousand other people all have the same idea. Charlotte is growing rapidly and there will be infrastructure issues across the board with anything that grows this fast. Many people will have moved before you, you'll be moving down with a lot of people, and many others will come after you.

If you are looking for a home, generally speaking, avoid very dense home sites (with zero lot lines). If you can borrow a cup of sugar from your neighbor by simply extending your hand out the window then your probably to close.

Avoid builders who offer 100% financing or that don't have at least a 2 year waiting period for renting a home or selling it (flipping it). You want to know that like yourself, your neighbors have a vested interest in their home (i.e., they put 20% of their hard earned money) and intend to live there and not attempt to flip or rent it to whom ever can come up with the first/last months rent and a security deposit.

Call your car or home owner's insurance company and find out how your rates will adjust (up or down) based on your proposed location. The insurance companies have far greater science involved in this and last I looked, none of them post on internet forums.

Imagine your new development filled out, and the 20 acres of open space now becomes another new development or a shopping center is put up in your backyard with a big brick wall. Remember, the growth doesn't stop because you signed a lease agreement or P&S.

Get a good RE broker (even for apartments) and be very specific about what you want. I'm sure you're a very smart person and can research on your own (like you're doing now), however a buyer's broker sole purpose is to represent your interests. If you lead your broker to believe cost is your only factor then you'll simply get cheap housing. Tell the broker you want safety, low density, etc. They should be able to help you meet much of your critical selection criteria.

You can greatly reduce the frustrating related to moving to a new area and reduce the likelihood of finding yourself in a bad situation.
Just wanted to thank you for a very solid post. Also, I agree that a good realtor can be a great assistance. Finding a good realtor is not always a simple matter, tho . . . and I would suggest doing homework there, as well.

Last edited by brokensky; 01-10-2008 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: edit header - misspell!

Old 01-14-2008, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,567 times
I live in the University area. I'm originally from NYC and moved down here 6 years ago. I love the area.

I love the diversity of the area. I live in a cul-de-sac and to my right is a single black young guy, to his right a Mexican family, to my left a Puerto Rican family from CT and to their left a Phillipino family (I'm white). There are Indians, Africans, people from all parts of the country and people from this area. My PITI is under $1000 a month on a 1700 sq ft home on a 1/3 acre. I do know my neighbors and it's a nice area, not quite as classy as the Ballentyne area, but then, neither am I.

People who have moved to Chlt from smaller towns find the place a BIG city with lots of crime but I find the area refreshing and safe as compared to NY. People are nicer, the pace is a little slower, it is so much prettier and as for culture the theater downtown provides high quality and varied entertainment and the Verizon Amiptheater carries the same line up in the summer as the NY/NJ venues and there are wonderful museums and restaurants.

The only thing missing is decent bagels

Old 01-14-2008, 07:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg11357 View Post
I live in the University area. I'm originally from NYC and moved down here 6 years ago. I love the area.

I love the diversity of the area. I live in a cul-de-sac and to my right is a single black young guy, to his right a Mexican family, to my left a Puerto Rican family from CT and to their left a Phillipino family (I'm white). There are Indians, Africans, people from all parts of the country and people from this area. My PITI is under $1000 a month on a 1700 sq ft home on a 1/3 acre. I do know my neighbors and it's a nice area, not quite as classy as the Ballentyne area, but then, neither am I.

People who have moved to Chlt from smaller towns find the place a BIG city with lots of crime but I find the area refreshing and safe as compared to NY. People are nicer, the pace is a little slower, it is so much prettier and as for culture the theater downtown provides high quality and varied entertainment and the Verizon Amiptheater carries the same line up in the summer as the NY/NJ venues and there are wonderful museums and restaurants.

The only thing missing is decent bagels
Hee Hee. We could use some more micro-breweries, too, IMHO!

So glad you like it here! Thank you for sharing your experience - I find it very interesting to know how communities are developing . . . and how diverse the region is becoming.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 PM

124 posts, read 168,126 times
Quote:
People who have moved to Chlt from smaller towns find the place a BIG city with lots of crime but I find the area refreshing and safe as compared to NY.
I love Charlotte too, but crime stats show we are not safer than NYC
I don't put much stock in these stats, or at least I didn't, until 2008 rolled around and we've had like 10 home invasions already. Hopefully this is just a phase that will phase itself out.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 6,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hee Hee. We could use some more micro-breweries, too, IMHO!
Have you tried the beer tasting at South End Brewery? It's a tasting of 10 brews and very nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte