Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 07:47 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times

Advertisements

I don't sit one way or another but do the math...Stand alone broadband $65, Sling $20, Netflix $12, Hulu Plus $10, Cost of HD antenna = $107/month. Are you getting more for less or are you just wanting to stick it to your cable company? If you are purely an ESPN fan...go for it. Soccer fans like me get a better deal with cable ( and don't expect NBCSports to be a part of a package...you will need to buy it on an NBCUniv app...just watch)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 08:04 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
^Indeed. SlingTV is just repackaging what you can get with basic cable except that you provide all the equipment to watch it on your TV AND it clogs up your Internet connection too. i.e. Rope A Dope.

My advice. If you are addicted to cable channels and cable sports, then keep your cable/satellite subscription. Cord cutting is as much about lifestyle change. IMO, there are hugely better choices of content out there if you go the cord cutting route, but it won't be a direct substitution for cable.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:10 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,320,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Sling has been around awhile it was mostly a way to watch tv anywhere. You could set it up at home and log in and watch your tv wherever you were. They now started doing the packages and I like it. I do not like our current options and if the packages are right and you can still watch tv anywhere using sling this might be the best option out there.
Slingbox and SlingTV are separate services. You need to purchase hardware(a slingbox) to use Slingbox. You do not need to purchase hardware to get SlingTV to work. You only need a computer with an internet connection.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:07 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
Slingbox and SlingTV are separate services. You need to purchase hardware(a slingbox) to use Slingbox. You do not need to purchase hardware to get SlingTV to work. You only need a computer with an internet connection.
Got it, are they the same company though?

Old 01-12-2015, 09:50 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,320,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Got it, are they the same company though?
SlingTV is part of Echostar which I think also owns Direct TV.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Dish's new Sling TV Internet TV service starts at $20, features ESPN, Disney Channel, CNN, TNT, and other channels - CNET

Slingbox.com - About Sling

Both founded by the original two brothers though. And I believe both are still owned by Echostar if you read the timelines.

In reading more: http://www.echostar.com/Company/AboutUs.aspx

Echostar and Dish TV are owned by the same entity and are sister companies. Echostar tried to merge with Direct TV but was blocked by FCC. It's been in the news lately that they are going to try again. Edited to add: But last I heard, AT&T was going to acquire Direct TV. It's been interesting reading all of this. lol

Last edited by momtothree; 01-12-2015 at 10:13 AM..

Old 01-12-2015, 10:14 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times
Yep, Sling is Charlie Ergen (Echo and Dish). Smart guy...started with a truck and sold satellite dishes of it.

Just something fun to keep an eye on...if the President is successful in getting the Internet classified as a Title II utility your internet consumption will become like your electric or gas. Switch turns it on...you pay for what you use, blah blah. Think about that when you start streaming HD movies and video. That is A LOT of gigabytes per month you will be using if you don't have cable and want to do everything over your broadband. And it will be taxed more.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:04 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
SlingTV is part of Echostar which I think also owns Direct TV.
Echostar owns DISH.

It should be noted that Charlie, bought up a significant portion of the freed up broadcast spectrum when broadcast TV went to digital in 2009. (The frequencies for TV channels 52-83 were auctioned off) This includes the spectrum here in the Charlotte DMA. Dish owns it now. For a while they were broadcasting some sort of text pattern in the ~750Mhz range but it's gone now.

The rumor is that Echostar/Dish is planning to use that broadcast bandwidth to offer up a fixed LTE service where Internet and presumably SlingTV will be provided via a small square antenna fixed to the side of the home. No details beyond that except there are some field tests taking place in Texas. If so, it could offer direct competition to TWC/ATT others as an alternative to home Internet.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:47 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
I don't sit one way or another but do the math...Stand alone broadband $65, Sling $20, Netflix $12, Hulu Plus $10, Cost of HD antenna = $107/month. Are you getting more for less or are you just wanting to stick it to your cable company? If you are purely an ESPN fan...go for it. Soccer fans like me get a better deal with cable ( and don't expect NBCSports to be a part of a package...you will need to buy it on an NBCUniv app...just watch)
this is what tampered my excitement.

I have TWC with basic cable... I get ESPN, ESPN2, NBCSports, Fox Sports1 and Fox Sports South.

My bill is roughly $90 + $10 for Netflix

I would probably break even and lose a few channels with Sling. I'm hopeful that this will force other companies to get in the game to bring prices lower.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:54 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,183 times
The idea is interesting but Dish makes it a deal breaker for me. Besides, with the Panthers and Broncos out, there's no sports until baseball starts so I'll wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte