Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times

Advertisements

I was at Harris Teeter shopping for dinner and I was leaning on something from the deli department. I noticed that they carry, western, eastern and beef barbecue and they carry red slaw. I am from Lexington so I am very biased on barbecue. I was tempted to purchase it but I dont know if it was just due to that it was refrigerated but it color was something I am not use to. Has anyone tried it and was it good? and same thing for their brunswick stew?

What items do you normally gotta have from their deli section?
I love their tuna and chicken salads and sushi.

I wish this one I went ot carried a salad bar like some do I love their salad bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 08:55 PM

380 posts, read 1,756,974 times
Sunny, you are from Lexington? I am from Cincinnati. Not too far. Sorry, don't know anything about the BBQ at Harris Teeter. Someone told me Lancaster BBQ is good. Is it?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishlee View Post
Sunny, you are from Lexington? I am from Cincinnati. Not too far. Sorry, don't know anything about the BBQ at Harris Teeter. Someone told me Lancaster BBQ is good. Is it?
Sorry I didnt clarify Lexington North Carolina (BBQ capital)

They only cook the pork shoulder over wood chips slow roasted and use a tomatoe base sauce served with Red Slaw (it no made with red cabbage)

I tried Lancaster I love the restaurant decor but they serve Eastern NC style like most of bbq restaurants and they use mustard slaw.
They do have good BBQ chicken.

Growing up on Lexington style BBQ (western) I am very picky when it comes to BBQ.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:48 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,100,593 times
Hey Sunny, I'm an assistant deli, bakery manager for Harris Teeter, the BBQ you're referring to, Carolina BBQ is vinegar based and it is very good if you like that type of BBQ, the closest we carry to Lexington style, is Texas BBQ (it's confusing because I always thought Texas was famous for there Beef BBQ) but apparently they make a pork BBQ also and it's comparable to our western style.

If your looking for an inexpensive way to try the Texas BBQ, your best bet would be at the sub bar, on Monday's 6 inch Texas Pork BBQ subs are $2.49 and on Tuesday's all 6 inch subs are $2.49.

Hope this helps, If you still have more questions feel free to PM me.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
Hey Sunny, I'm an assistant deli, bakery manager for Harris Teeter, the BBQ you're referring to, Carolina BBQ is vinegar based and it is very good if you like that type of BBQ, the closest we carry to Lexington style, is Texas BBQ (it's confusing because I always thought Texas was famous for there Beef BBQ) but apparently they make a pork BBQ also and it's comparable to our western style.

If your looking for an inexpensive way to try the Texas BBQ, your best bet would be at the sub bar, on Monday's 6 inch Texas Pork BBQ subs are $2.49 and on Tuesday's all 6 inch subs are $2.49.

Great info aardvark except monday tuesday thing ..hehe
Tomorrow is Wednesday lol

I love this insider tips though. Is also true that best time to buy meat at Harris Teeter is on Sunday Mornings?

I have the at most respect for you guys because even though it a chain I always feel like I am going to specialty store your higher ups must treat you guys right. The staff no matter where I encounter them they are very courteious and friendly.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:23 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post

aardvark, don't mean to hijack the thread from BBQ, but I have a "beef" w/HT regardng the following...I specifically go to Lowe's for my Italian Bread and round rolls because the quality is so much better there. I've talked to many transplants that feel this way. IMO since the transplant population is growing, you need to find a good bakery up in the NJ/NY area to work with to get these better quality items in your store.

If you had better rolls (and italian pastries, the cannoli's YUCK) I would certainly buy OTHER deli items from your store, but I make a special trip to Lowe's for that. Also, please do not try to influence me on the whole Dietz & Watson no MSG angle because it doesn't matter to me. What matter's to me is quality rolls, bread.

I love alot about HT, but I can tell you that you're really losing some business this way....just my .02. Hope this helps.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:37 AM

876 posts, read 3,793,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
aardvark, don't mean to hijack the thread from BBQ, but I have a "beef" w/HT regardng the following...I specifically go to Lowe's for my Italian Bread and round rolls because the quality is so much better there. I've talked to many transplants that feel this way. IMO since the transplant population is growing, you need to find a good bakery up in the NJ/NY area to work with to get these better quality items in your store.

If you had better rolls (and italian pastries, the cannoli's YUCK) I would certainly buy OTHER deli items from your store, but I make a special trip to Lowe's for that. Also, please do not try to influence me on the whole Dietz & Watson no MSG angle because it doesn't matter to me. What matter's to me is quality rolls, bread.

I love alot about HT, but I can tell you that you're really losing some business this way....just my .02. Hope this helps.

hmm, weird, I go to Lowe's when I need lighbulbs and timber?

Old 01-09-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
They are referring to Lowes Food Lowes Foods...Great People, Great Prices, Fabulous Fresh Foods plus S&H Greenpoints Rewards!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:24 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
Lowe's FOODS...not Lowe's home improvement....

Old 01-09-2008, 10:51 AM

457 posts, read 1,377,425 times
Guys, just an FYI, I found excellent crusty Italian bread at Lowe's, at the deli counter, apparently, they have it shipped from a New Jersey Italian bakery, ( Anthony and Sons Bakery in Denville, NJ)which I am familiar with being from NJ, and they bake it fresh daily in the store. I picked up a loaf over the weekend, still warm out of the oven Semolina Italian bread, man it was awesome.....check it out, hopefully all of the Lowe's stores carry it, mine is located in Ballantyne....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte