Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 06:43 PM

44 posts, read 257,573 times

Advertisements

How do the prices at Harris Teeter compare to the prices at Food Lion or Wal-Mart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 06:48 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,833,378 times
I have to say they are about the same. When my wife and I first got married we went to Food Lion. The meat there started getting bad. We then decided to go to Harris Teeter and after its all said and done we feel like we still pay around the same. Mind you we have added some kiddies along the way.

Hope this helps some... plus there bread section is so much better.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:00 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herewecome View Post
How do the prices at Harris Teeter compare to the prices at Food Lion or Wal-Mart?
Harris Teeter is the best, hands down. Their prices may be higher on some items, but you can't beat their delis, bakeries, and fresher produce. Which by the way, they will double your money back on if you come back dissatisfied with any produce. They also train their employees in customer service and know how to treat you at the register. I've also noticed they only hire the most clean cut, well spoken teens as baggers. WalMart has the worst cashiers - no obvious customer service training. Some of them don't even look at you when you are checking out, much less ask you if you found everything you needed. But the worst is when they engage in private conversations between themselves that you are forced to listen to while they ring up your items. Their meat and produce are also usually subpar.
Lowes is growing in this region but not near me so I can't comment on them

Old 10-11-2006, 07:18 PM

44 posts, read 257,573 times
Lowes carries groceries?

Old 10-11-2006, 08:19 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,479 times
There is a Lowes food chain - they didn't mean the Home Depot type of store. Kind of confusing! The Lowe's I shop at is really nice. I am impressed with their organics line called Full Circle. I liked Harris Teeter, but it is a drive for me. Both stores had great customer service and I also noticed they employ nice, clean cut teenagers at the Lowe's I go to.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:34 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
My favorite supermarket is Lowes Foods too. I used to shop at one on Robinhood Road in Winston-Salem. Very nice.

Store Locator

http://www.lowesfoods.com/locator/index.cfm (broken link)

Old 10-12-2006, 12:45 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,974 times
There will soon be a Trader Joe's in South Charlotte, in early 2007. You'll find amazing prices on incredible food there.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:18 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,572 times
Harris Teeter is expensive, at least in the Raleigh area. I live in Apex and my grocery bill peaked at $350 a week shopping at Harris Teeter. I switched to Super Target and my bill is never over $200 a week now. HUGE difference.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:51 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,340 times
In moving here this is what I discovered about the local grocery stores.

Food Lion prices are decent, but I only go to the new store put up near me. The other stores are often dirty and not kept up as well. Selection is ok.

Lowes foods prices are a few cents higher on certain items. Deli prices are much higher than other stores, but meat prices are better. They also double coupons and have a good selection.

Bi-Lo prices were noticeably higher on many items and selection was not that great.

Wal-mart has great prices, but low selection. The produce seems to go bad quicker than other places. Meats are horrible.

Harris Teeter has decent prices, some things are a little more expensive. The meats are good, produce great and I can often find things there that are not at other stores.

Hope this helps a little bit!

Old 10-12-2006, 08:31 AM

272 posts, read 1,001,059 times
We used to have a Harris Teeter in Jax, FL, but they closed. I didn't go there too much - but is anyone familiar with Publix supermarkets? They are wonderful in FL. I don't believe they have them in NC, but they do in SC. Just curious.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte