Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 08:00 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,166,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
American Airlines announced six new direct international flights to Mexico, the Caribbean and Latin America, and none of them are at Charlotte Douglas International Airport.

This probably won’t be the last time Charlotte gets passed over for new destinations, industry experts said.

In the past, if U.S. Airways were to add new international flights they would be more likely to choose Charlotte.

Since the two merged, it has other hubs that are better suited for those international flights.

Some worry that more direct global flights could leave Charlotte's lineup...
Charlotte loses out on direct international flights | www.wsoctv.com

Now with the AA taking over we get to see the impact of competing against Dallas, Miami, etc...

In 2012 CLT was topping the list of most competitive (operating cost, low cost per passenger enplaned) in USA from large airports list. Later on that politics got to it, do you know where we stand?

I wish the airport is run by business minded people (like Orr before) not by politicians, since we want to keep cost low. I do worry when politicians get involved...

Last edited by 28173; 02-03-2015 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 08:53 AM

830 posts, read 1,531,076 times
The flights are

DFW - Grand Cayman (CLT already serves)
DFW - Managua, Nicaragua
LAX - Belize City, Belize (CLT already serves)
LAX - Guadalajara, Mexico
MIA - Barranquilla, Columbia
MIA - Monterrey, Mexico

Not sure that any of the other destinations, besides the ones that CLT already serves, makes sense from here.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:10 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
The flights are

DFW - Grand Cayman (CLT already serves)
DFW - Managua, Nicaragua
LAX - Belize City, Belize (CLT already serves)
LAX - Guadalajara, Mexico
MIA - Barranquilla, Columbia
MIA - Monterrey, Mexico

Not sure that any of the other destinations, besides the ones that CLT already serves, makes sense from here.
Exactly... CLT already has a flight to Mexico City (daily). From Guadalajara and Monterrey -secondary markets to Mexico City), LAX and MIA make a loooooooooot more sense on demographics alone, same with Managua and Barranquilla.

I wouldn't see this as a snub to Charlotte, it's just common sense.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:12 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:

I'm not sure why anyone would want "less" options than more.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:25 AM

830 posts, read 1,531,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would want "less" options than more.
Nothing to do with wanting more or less of anything. Simply pointing out that "not getting new international flights" isn't exactly the whole story.

The reality is that Charlotte is not a big O+D market to begin with - and that market likely even more limited for Latin American flights. USAirways has been able to do well with a lot of flights to the Caribbean that are mostly tourist driven through connecting passengers. I would expect to see some consolidation of these flights in coming years, though I think that the major destinations like STT, STM and SJU will remain, as those need the capacity to be served from multiple points.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:46 AM

777 posts, read 2,568,582 times
It is typical WSOC click bait, nothing more.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:31 PM

370 posts, read 544,221 times
Quote:
Nothing to do with wanting more or less of anything. Simply pointing out that "not getting new international flights" isn't exactly the whole story.

The reality is that Charlotte is not a big O+D market to begin with - and that market likely even more limited for Latin American flights. USAirways has been able to do well with a lot of flights to the Caribbean that are mostly tourist driven through connecting passengers. I would expect to see some consolidation of these flights in coming years, though I think that the major destinations like STT, STM and SJU will remain, as those need the capacity to be served from multiple points.

You need to get out of here with all of you "reasoning" and "rational thought"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte