Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 05:30 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Hotel boom in center city

More than 1,900 new hotel rooms are proposed, under construction or in the planning stages in uptown, midtown and South End, according to Center City Partners. That would be a 42 percent increase over the current 4,568 hotel rooms in center city. Here are some of the projects:

1. Crescent Uptown: Developer Crescent Communities is planning to build two hotels at its Whole Foods-anchored development at the Stonewall Street Blue Line station. The hotels would total 400 rooms. Crescent hasn’t announced brands for them yet.

2. Embassy Suites: BPR Properties and CMC Hotels are building a 250-room hotel at 401 E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., with completion expected next year.

3. EpiCentre Hotel: Vision Ventures and Mount Vernon Asset Management plan to start work this year on a 20-story hotel tower above the EpiCentre. The tower would be a 302-room, dual-branded AC Hotel and Residence Inn, both of which are Marriott brands.

4. Springhill Suites: SREE Hotels is planning to build a 16-story, 200-room tower at 350 E. Sixth St.

5. Hilton Hotels: Developer Daniel Levine is planning to build a Hilton Canopy and a Homewood Suites on Brevard Street.

Hotels are also planned as part of the 300 South Tryon and Tryon Place office towers, which are being built by Spectrum Properties and Crescent.

Uptown
THAT will be a whole LOT of bedbugs! Coming to an Uptown city block near YOU...SOON!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 05:55 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Because if you don't have anything of value to post besides knocking a city for investing in mass transit then log the hell off. Plain and simple
The trolley is considered 'mass transit'??? IF so, then we are in such a bad downhill slide I might just stick around to SEE what happens and LAUGH louder than I already do. I do know this...27 yrs to finish I-485 is not acceptable and I am sure many a hand got filled with green stuff ($$$) in those 'broken rules' with the builder...many times.
I don't have a lot of answers and it should be YOUR generation with some of them. I do know the answers are NOT in just keep building....higher and HIGHER when the infrastructure isn't even in the development stages for GOOD and $$$ making transportation to and from. Take the Lynx Blue Line...that only a few people use now. Nobody enforces or designed a way to get the people who use it to PAY for it....a lot of $$ going down the tubes that could be used to finish the other end of it. I don't have the exact # of how many people ride for free, but recall it was a LOT...close to 50% a month or so ago. Funny, other cities have similar transportation and people pay to use it or they walk! You realize by building higher and right on top of one another we are changing the temperature of our Uptown and surrounding area? Is that taught as a part of Urban Studies?
What about the Eastland property debacle??? HOW MANY YEARS is it going to be before someone of YOUR generation steps up to the plate with a wonderful and creative way to revitalize that area? Is is not YOUR generation that is educated in URBAN STUDIES and all HIP on living 'urban' in the first place? Instead of passing time posting pretty pictures of what you hope will be, how about thinking outside the box and figuring that Eastland property mess out?? I'd back something GOOD, but so far I have not seen anything GOOD, especially this last FEW ideas.
I've done my 45+ years of public service and am planning my retirement...and it won't be in a city that is in major GRIDLOCK where I cannot even go to the grocery store with a 2 hr drive. I actually LIKED Charlotte for the past 25 yrs...but the last 5 years...not so much. I know all growing cities have 'growing pains', but I've already been there and done that now with Miami for 32 yrs and now Charlotte and vicinity for 29 yrs....it's YOUR TURN...and the other kidlets who live on C/D and post pretty pictures.
I'll be looking for a smaller, relaxing, beach/fishing city that is not 'urbanize' to finish my time on Earth in.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:21 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,384,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
THAT will be a whole LOT of bedbugs! Coming to an Uptown city block near YOU...SOON!
Thats really profound. Congrats on another illuminating, helpful and well written post.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
The trolley is considered 'mass transit'??? IF so, then we are in such a bad downhill slide I might just stick around to SEE what happens and LAUGH louder than I already do. I do know this...27 yrs to finish I-485 is not acceptable and I am sure many a hand got filled with green stuff ($$$) in those 'broken rules' with the builder...many times.
Please don't.

Quote:
I do know this...27 yrs to finish I-485 is not acceptable and I am sure many a hand got filled with green stuff ($$$) in those 'broken rules' with the builder...many times.
Again, you're posting words that simply make no sense together. Its almost like you just open a dictionary and randomly picks words out of it and type then next to each other.

Quote:
I don't have a lot of answers...
Shocking.

Quote:
I'll be looking for a smaller, relaxing, beach/fishing city that is not 'urbanize' to finish my time on Earth in.
Just because you've decided to pursue a different type of city doesn't mean that Charlotte is unlivable, as you claim. Plenty of other people like the city, in case you haven't noticed.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:41 PM

8 posts, read 14,154 times
Quote:
Ascent Apartments under construction in uptown.
Drove past the construction site about 2 hours ago and while I was sitting at the light at the site I could see the excavated hole in the ground to where they recently installed the towering crane that will aid the construction on the building. It's truly a remarkable thing to see up close. However, traveling a block north on the right, I passed the construction site for 300 S. Tryon, oddly enough there seems to be a hole there from excavation but no crane Could this be because they may have had to excavate further down since that particular office tower will actually be taller than the Ascent tower?

Old 06-09-2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
How south end of Uptown Charlotte will look after Tryon Pace and Crescent Stonewall Whole Foods-Hotels-Apartments are built.
Wow! This is madd cool seriously! Nice rendering...where did you get this? Was it a publication or did you design it?

Old 06-09-2015, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Please log off
I second!!

Old 06-09-2015, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Because if you don't have anything of value to post besides knocking a city for investing in mass transit then log the hell off. Plain and simple
Well said choloboy36...Again, I second! I don't understand why there are certain people that continue to live in our up and coming vibrant city and continue to talk all of this smack and utilize our amenities at the same time! If this city is not your cup of tea, then go to another city and buy a cup of coffee and SPARE US YOUR 2 CENTS WORTH OF LEFT OVER LOOSE CHANGE! Goodbye!

Old 06-09-2015, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
What is your suggestion for improving traffic in major metropolitan areas? You are clearly well versed in the topic and have information that city planners across the planet are not privy to. What do you know that the apparent fools in Toronto or Amsterdam or Melbourne do not?

Please, enlighten us all with your plan.
I second your sentiments LosHogan; Maybe this person needs to move back to whatever area of the U.S. where the mothers name their children "MOOK" and the only traffic on the roads are deer, foxes, squirrels, etc.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:19 PM

"Portman Holdings plans to start work early next month on its planned 19-story office tower next to The Westin Charlotte hotel.

Called 615 South College, the 370,000-square-foot office tower will rise above the Westin’s parking deck. Travis Garland, director of leasing at Portman, says the first few weeks of activity will consist of foundation work in the deck and won’t be visible to passersby. Atlanta-based Portman, which also owns the Westin, plans to hold a groundbreaking ceremony for 615 South College in early July."

Portman Holdings to break ground on Charlotte office tower next month - Charlotte Business Journal
Attached Thumbnails
Charlotte Devlopment & Construction in Center City, Suburbs and Transportation-615-south-college-portman.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte