Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 07:02 AM

363 posts, read 445,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
The trolley is considered 'mass transit'??? IF so, then we are in such a bad downhill slide I might just stick around to SEE what happens and LAUGH louder than I already do. I do know this...27 yrs to finish I-485 is not acceptable and I am sure many a hand got filled with green stuff ($$$) in those 'broken rules' with the builder...many times.
I don't have a lot of answers and it should be YOUR generation with some of them. I do know the answers are NOT in just keep building....higher and HIGHER when the infrastructure isn't even in the development stages for GOOD and $$$ making transportation to and from. Take the Lynx Blue Line...that only a few people use now. Nobody enforces or designed a way to get the people who use it to PAY for it....a lot of $$ going down the tubes that could be used to finish the other end of it. I don't have the exact # of how many people ride for free, but recall it was a LOT...close to 50% a month or so ago. Funny, other cities have similar transportation and people pay to use it or they walk! You realize by building higher and right on top of one another we are changing the temperature of our Uptown and surrounding area? Is that taught as a part of Urban Studies?
What about the Eastland property debacle??? HOW MANY YEARS is it going to be before someone of YOUR generation steps up to the plate with a wonderful and creative way to revitalize that area? Is is not YOUR generation that is educated in URBAN STUDIES and all HIP on living 'urban' in the first place? Instead of passing time posting pretty pictures of what you hope will be, how about thinking outside the box and figuring that Eastland property mess out?? I'd back something GOOD, but so far I have not seen anything GOOD, especially this last FEW ideas.
I've done my 45+ years of public service and am planning my retirement...and it won't be in a city that is in major GRIDLOCK where I cannot even go to the grocery store with a 2 hr drive. I actually LIKED Charlotte for the past 25 yrs...but the last 5 years...not so much. I know all growing cities have 'growing pains', but I've already been there and done that now with Miami for 32 yrs and now Charlotte and vicinity for 29 yrs....it's YOUR TURN...and the other kidlets who live on C/D and post pretty pictures.
I'll be looking for a smaller, relaxing, beach/fishing city that is not 'urbanize' to finish my time on Earth in.
Holy NIMBY.

No one rides the Blue Line? Really? Just stop posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 07:58 AM

370 posts, read 544,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
Holy NIMBY.

No one rides the Blue Line? Really? Just stop posting.
Yeah, those are all just mannequins packed onto the train when you see it ride by. It's all an illusion. And none of us pay either. We all just board for free and don't have monthly passes we pay for.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:03 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
"Unencumbered by the thought process" is a phrase that comes to mind...

Old 06-10-2015, 06:14 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,059 times
[quote=tdm51;39963241]Holy NIMBY.

No one rides the Blue Line? Really? Just stop posting.[/

OOOOHHH my! Who left you Blue Lynx Po-Po???

Old 06-11-2015, 05:48 AM

370 posts, read 544,116 times
[quote=mooksmom;39972184]
Quote:
Holy NIMBY.

What language is this?

Old 06-11-2015, 07:04 AM

363 posts, read 445,136 times
[quote=mooksmom;39972184]
Quote:
Holy NIMBY.

What does this even mean?

The Blue Line exceeded ridership estimates, and is very busy. I was just shining light on your comment which made no sense. You have now made another that makes no sense.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:55 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
North Tryon’s revitalization begins now: Skyhouse looks to breathe life into a once maligned area of Uptown

South Tryon is getting a Whole Foods so its only fair North Tryon gets an amazing grocery store of its own, and I have no doubt Publix will fill that void when official announcement has been made on this.
Also, Skyhouse will provide Uptown with its only veterinarian. With all the pets I see Uptown, it’s a shame the owners have to leave the Uptown area to take them to a vet, and if you don’t have a car (a true urbanite) this causes a challenge. Skyhouse seeks to change this, as the office will be in the garage retail space giving all pet owners a doctor to take their pets to Uptown.

North Tryon's revitalization begins now: Skyhouse looks to breathe life into a once maligned area of Uptown - Charlotte Agenda

Last edited by CLT1985; 06-12-2015 at 05:25 AM..

Old 06-15-2015, 06:44 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
Street Closure: East 7th Street - June 15, 2015 to August 15, 2015

To accommodate construction for the LYNX Blue Line Extension, East 7th Street, between College Street and North Brevard Street, will close on Monday, June 15, 2015 at 9 a.m. and will reopen August 15, 2015. During this closure, motorists can use the detour route of 6th Street, North College Street, 11th Street and Brevard Street (shown in green on map).​

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/T...-06-15-15.aspx

Old 06-15-2015, 09:20 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
I'm sure lots of people enjoy all of this growth and change, but I still don't see any real signs of improving infrastructure. Almost 21,000 rental units in the works and who knows how many single family houses will cause problems. What are the solutions to these problems?

If someone has these answers or knows where they are, I would like to see them. I'm not being ugly here. I've seen Charlotte grow since 1980 and I still see a lot of the very same roads. A lot of people are right to worry if this is all too much, too fast. Let's face it; Charlotte hasn't exactly been ahead of the curve in a lot of ways. If we are going to welcome the growth, we need to be ready for everything that comes with it.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:30 PM

4,605 posts, read 6,427,227 times
Ideally, Charlotte would be building a multi-line light rail or heavy rail transit system to accommodate the growth, but we know that is impossible in this fiscal and political environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte